Motivation...where is it?

Options
I feel like it's sooo hard for me to get motivated. It is now the 5th day of March and I have a 10 lb weight loss bet with a friend by the first week of April. I feel like it is SO hard for me to get motivated. When I watch videos/read stories of weight loss successes I am READY for my own. I currently weigh 173 and I am 5'7". I would like to get back to my weight of 135.
1) I find it hard to get over the mentality of being in the gym with people that are athletic and active. I feel like the "oversized girl pretending she knows what to do." Which may seem silly, but my mentality is fixated on that.
2) I find it hard to get motivated to eat healthy at home for the fact that I live with my dad and when we buy food at the beginning of the month, it's to last the WHOLE month...which usually relates to buying junk food or frozen foods. We eat A LOT of chicken (so I suppose that's good, right?).
3) I find it difficult when I tell my friends/family HEY! I'm gonna lose weight. I NEED to lose weight." And they say "no you look fine the way you are. You don't need to lose anything." BUT...with a family history of diabetes, high cholesterol, and high blood pressure...it really is essential for myself and my future to be in good health.

So I guess my main question is....HOW and WHERE do you guys get motivation? How do you get the mentality to get your booty in the gym? How do you guys get motivated when family and friends don't understand?

Replies

• tamaralaine1970
    Options
    Great Question, and here is my answer, this works for me. I need to loose the weight, like you I have a large family history of weight related health problems, I need to loose another 30 lbs, in order to be considered a healthy weight. I eat as does my husband a lot ob chicken, we use mostly boneless, skinless breast. I have lots of great tasting recipes, if you want some. I use the me, myself and I concept. I am going to loose the weight because my husband wants me healthy and happy and I want me to look great for myself as well. I do what exercises that work for my daily lifestyle. I eat healthy and great tasting foods, that I and my family can all enjoy. If you want to add me has a friend ,I log on everyday and try to keep my myfitnesspal, friends motivated and hope that they can try and do the same for me. Please feel free to look me up, both here and on Loose it, and facebook as I am on all three.
  • chris10_hi
    chris10_hi Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I was in the same kind of situation, when i first started going to the gym last may, i had nooo motivation and was alot more depressed when i started going back to the gym and everyone was fit lol, BUT once i got into my own zone of taking each day one at a time it was less stressful, I would just make a commitment and tell myself or even force myself to go in the beginning and now i have to go ive incorporated it into by day and its become habit! ....and when i first started eating at home...living with my grams ...she would always have all kinds of snacks and crap laying around, i had to learn how to say no and replace it with something better and when we went shopping bought lots of chicken breast vegetables....i also did a fast at first to help cleanse myself (no red meat or rice for 30days since those were my favorites)... it was hard at first but when i started feeling better from eating better and exercising it started to help me to get motivated....and you never regret a workout either, even if i just walked at the gym at first or ran a mile of 2 i never regretted it! I also didnt have anyone supporting me until i found a workout partner, so maybe finding someone at the gym or a friend who is really willing to be there for you, itll be fun..good luck i hope this helps... :)
  • bsoxluvr
    bsoxluvr Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    You just wrote my own story! I actually started reading the boards after a 2 year hiatus in hopes of finding the motivation I need. I'm looking forward to what others have to say, but I'm sure most people say you just have to start and once you get into it the rest will follow.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    motivation can only take you so far. you have to decide that this is now a part of your life. that exercising on a regular basis is something you are going to do. that eating right is now a habit, not the exception.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Stop trying to get fired up to do everything at once. That drive fades over time, many people can't keep it up long term.

Instead focus on making small changes that you can stick with.

Don't look to how far you have to go to get to 135. Look at getting to 170.

Don't try to eat perfect, focus on eating better than you have in the past. Don't beat yourself up if it's not flawless.

Don't try to go to the gym every day for 6 hours if you hate the gym. Add a 30 minute evening walk to your routine, or start a weight lifting program that takes 45 minutes a session, 3 times a week.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Motivation comes from yourself. Inspiration may come from external sources, but motivation is completely up to you.

Like rtalencar85 mentioned - small changes. Eat a little less; eat a little "healthier;" and exercise a little more. You'll get there.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Tough love, not to be taken as rude. You're not ready. If you were you would just start doing what you need to do and stop caring about what others might think. I say this because over two years ago I was in the same place as you and I had a long list of things holding me back. One of my first friends on here said she didn't think I was ready. I sat down thought about what I wanted and said, "no way dude, I am ready" and started doing it.
  • srach21
    srach21 Posts: 29
    Options
    I appreciate everyone's comments and glad some of us can relate in some way.
    But I am very ready. I have a friend here at school that will be going to the gym with me from now on.
    I just went and redid my whole grocery shopping and bought WAY better, healthier items than what I have
    ever bought in the past.

I'm tired of using excuses to get by. Starting TODAY there are NO more excuses. Pardon my language but now
    my mindset is get your a** up and get to moving because NO ONE is gonna do it for you.