$1,000...

Options

Replies

• emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    put it in the bank and save it for a rainy day. you're too old for games. you don't need the pizzas. (none of us do). don't just blow it. spend it wisely or save it! you never know when you're going to have to replace 20 ft of drain pipe in your front yard!!! i'm not bitter or anything. lol

LOL too old for games? Maybe you are grandma but I can still throw down with any teenager in Amurrica.
  • misspastry
    misspastry Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Invest in a hobby.
  • hockeymomrw
    hockeymomrw Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Lots of good ideas here! :-) I suggest taking the money and buying something that will really add some action and enjoyment to your life. Something you really love. If you love to play pool, make it a pool table. If you love XBOX, get an XBOX and a projector to play on the big wall in your basement. (Just an idea...) Make it something you really like in your heart. Bonus if your kids and/or wife can enjoy it too, but mainly for you!! Of course family is your number one priority, but you need to have some fun and enjoyment too. Your time spent with them will be that much more appreciated. That's my two cents, for what it's worth.
  • emtjmac
    Options
    Lots of good ideas here! :-) I suggest taking the money and buying something that will really add some action and enjoyment to your life. Something you really love. If you love to play pool, make it a pool table. If you love XBOX, get an XBOX and a projector to play on the big wall in your basement. (Just an idea...) Make it something you really like in your heart. Bonus if your kids and/or wife can enjoy it too, but mainly for you!! Of course family is your number one priority, but you need to have some fun and enjoyment too. Your time spent with them will be that much more appreciated. That's my two cents, for what it's worth.

I'll probably end up not getting anything and just fade further into the sunset.
  • 73Freckles
    73Freckles Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    put it in the bank and save it for a rainy day. you're too old for games. you don't need the pizzas. (none of us do). don't just blow it. spend it wisely or save it! you never know when you're going to have to replace 20 ft of drain pipe in your front yard!!! i'm not bitter or anything. lol

LOL too old for games? Maybe you are grandma but I can still throw down with any teenager in Amurrica.

lol. Grandma?? I'm at the ripe old age of 39 and can kick some video game butt thank you very much!! :-) Now where is my Atari???
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Invest it, or put it into a savings account for your children's education.

Yep. We started one of those college savings plan for my son when he was about 10 yrs old . Now that he is in school, I'm sooooo glad we did.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options

I'll probably end up not getting anything and just fade further into the sunset.

:cry:
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options

....or a $20,000 foundation repair on your house. I'm not bitter either. :laugh:
  • bizorra
    bizorra Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    You could get a road bike and a stationary trainer, so you can use it in the winter.
    But I love biking, and loved biking with my dad when I was a kid :)
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Definitely the road bike! You'll have so much fun with it and burn calories!

This is definitely high on the list of possibilities. I just hate the idea of not being able to use it all winter as I live in Massachusetts.

Road bike with a mag wheel and stand. It will give you the best of both worlds.

See e.g. a mag wheel trainer:
    http://www.amazon.com/Graber-Mag-Indoor-Bicycle-Trainer/dp/B000XKUPDO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1362531622&sr=8-2&keywords=mag+wheel+trainer

and a front wheel rest:
    http://www.amazon.com/Blackburn-Bicycle-Stabilizer-Indoor-Trainers/dp/B000EPKAI8/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1362531622&sr=8-7&keywords=mag+wheel+trainer

You ride your bike outdoors in good weather. You ride it indoors in foul weather. You use the Mag Wheel to increase resistance along with your gears. There are all different levels of Mag Wheels out there depending on how much tension you want, etc. I've had the same one for over 20 years and it is still going strong. It gives me a good workout. Mine is fairly heavy and stable so I can stand and crank when I want. They range all over in price from $50 to $200+. I don't have the current research as I haven't needed to replace mine since I got it. But, they are worth it IMHO. Also, watch craigslist for bikes... people are always selling road bikes and you can pick up decent bikes for 1/2 the cost.
  • Redbird99ky
    Redbird99ky Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Invest it.
    And then change your withholdings so that you don't get so much back. It's your money, use it for your purposes, rather than giving Uncle Sam an interest free short term loan.

If you took that 1000 and invested it in good growth stock mutual funds over thirty years, and contributed 250/month over that thirty years (I came up with that number as a guess. Wife said you can spend 1000, she can spend 1000, and you put 1000 away. That's 3000, which is what I figure you might be looking at for a tax refund. That's 250/month IN YOUR POCKET if you adjust your withholding rate. And since you're not seeing it now, and you're used to not having it, why not invest the entire amount.

If you invest the intital $1,000, and contribute $250/month over 30 years (You'll be 64), You'll have about $918,000 in the bank for a nest egg. Kinda makes that computer seem a bit expensive, to me.
  • NicoleisQuantized
    NicoleisQuantized Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Invest it.
    And then change your withholdings so that you don't get so much back. It's your money, use it for your purposes, rather than giving Uncle Sam an interest free short term loan.

If you took that 1000 and invested it in good growth stock mutual funds over thirty years, and contributed 250/month over that thirty years (I came up with that number as a guess. Wife said you can spend 1000, she can spend 1000, and you put 1000 away. That's 3000, which is what I figure you might be looking at for a tax refund. That's 250/month IN YOUR POCKET if you adjust your withholding rate. And since you're not seeing it now, and you're used to not having it, why not invest the entire amount.

If you invest the intital $1,000, and contribute $250/month over 30 years (You'll be 64), You'll have about $918,000 in the bank for a nest egg. Kinda makes that computer seem a bit expensive, to me.

^ This.
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Don't buy a gaming computer. Grown men gaming is just... sad. Especially with four kids and a wife. They need your attention, not the stupid computer.

Now on to ideas:

The investment idea is the best and most sensible. You're not likely to do that though - sounds like you want something fun and immediate and don't have the patience to see out an investment plan.

So invest in yourself. Either get a road bike with a trainer for the winter months, or if you feel like sharing good health with your wife you should get the weights set or the elliptical. The weights would give you both a lot of strength with is both sexy and healthy. The elliptical would give you fast fat loss.

Isn't MFP great for solicited advice from around the globe?

BTW, it was rude to call that lady grandma, just like it was rude for that other member to suggest you get a vasectomy.
  • 73Freckles
    73Freckles Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Don't buy a gaming computer. Grown men gaming is just... sad. Especially with four kids and a wife. They need your attention, not the stupid computer.

Now on to ideas:

The investment idea is the best and most sensible. You're not likely to do that though - sounds like you want something fun and immediate and don't have the patience to see out an investment plan.

So invest in yourself. Either get a road bike with a trainer for the winter months, or if you feel like sharing good health with your wife you should get the weights set or the elliptical. The weights would give you both a lot of strength with is both sexy and healthy. The elliptical would give you fast fat loss.

BTW, it was rude to call that lady grandma, just like it was rude for that other member to suggest you get a vasectomy.

I am so sending you a friend request right now!! lol.
  • emtjmac
    Options
    Invest it.

Awesome info... and gets me thinking a little. Your $3000 estimate is very, very low though.
  • MichaelYoung1976
    Options
    Vegas baby!
  • emtjmac
    Options

Now on to ideas:

Yes, maybe I should get a subscription to Reader's Digest and a sturdy pair of reading glasses to! By the way, I'm glad that the fun and interesting person whom I called grandma was not as humorless as you are, as she actually got the joke and we had a bit of fun with it. Thanks for your thoughtful reply! *hugs*
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Build a gaming PC. Hands down. All your comp needs, plus entertainment!
  • HopefulLeigh
    HopefulLeigh Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    power rack, olympic bar and weights, bench. done.

And lube, for when you fall in love with your fine self. (Taso forget about the excitement part...)

Oh snap, can I get the warming kind?

Try to hit up Craigslist for everything but the lube and you can probably stretch it farther AND get the elliptical. Man Cave made easy.
  • emtjmac
    Options
    power rack, olympic bar and weights, bench. done.

And lube, for when you fall in love with your fine self. (Taso forget about the excitement part...)

Oh snap, can I get the warming kind?

Try to hit up Craigslist for everything but the lube and you can probably stretch it farther AND get the elliptical. Man Cave made easy.

What if the lube still has the seal on it?