I'm a sneaky dad... :-)

Options

Replies

• sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure Taco Bell meat is not food. Well, it does not contain nutrients anyway.
    You should stick with the tacos at Jack-in-the-Box ! Now, there is culinary achievement !

Um.... what? lol
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    You can hide leafy veggies, like spinach, in all kinds of things.
  • jpbgrad98CHANGED
    Options
    Okay, Dad. But now you are between a rock and a hard place. You say nothing, and you have fed them one helping of veggies. But, what good is that? One serving of veggies, amidst a sea of pizza, burgers and fries. Boo-pee-do ! You need to tell them, so they get over their reluctance to eat veggies.
    It is the only way.
    But then you lose their trust.
    So, what do you do?

Very rarely do they do fast food, pizza, etc. generally they eat pretty well. Just not veggies. If I can get them eating veggies albeit sneaky, then so be it. When they get older, they can choose for themselves. But, right now, it is up to me to get them eating, so this is what I did.

I agree that at some point I should tell them... Maybe after I make a few of their favorite dishes with hidden veggies. Then, I can be like BAM! See... You have been eating these veggies and you didn't even know. They are really tasty! Lets try them now, not hidden.

As far as trust, I'm not sure this will all of a sudden make my kids lose their trust in me, but I appreciate the concern. :-)
  • BunkyBumBum
    BunkyBumBum Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I once told my 2 year old son his green beans were green french fries and served them with ketchup. He ate them all up, but I only got away with it once.
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Okay, Dad. But now you are between a rock and a hard place. You say nothing, and you have fed them one helping of veggies. But, what good is that? One serving of veggies, amidst a sea of pizza, burgers and fries. Boo-pee-do ! You need to tell them, so they get over their reluctance to eat veggies.
    It is the only way.
    But then you lose their trust.
    So, what do you do?

Tufel's such a fuddy-duddy. I say YAY FOR DAD!

So many people will easily lie to their kids about Santa Claus, Halloween, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy, but when it comes to getting their kids to have healthy food in their diets suddenly they talk about 'trust issues' with kids.

Sheesh. How about when the kids find out that veggies are in the meatloaf the conversation goes like this? ~

"There are veggies in there? Gross!"

"You liked them when you were eating them," says Dad.

"Yeah..." kid takes another bite. "Guess they're not so bad after all! Can I have more?"

~score one for Dad.
  • jpbgrad98CHANGED
    Options
    One serving of veggies, amidst a sea of pizza, burgers and fries. Boo-pee-do !

And, yes... I will take one serving over no servings.
  • lauradawson1123
    Options
    That's awesome. Did you tell them what you did afterwards?
  • OmarAF
    OmarAF Posts: 9
    Options
    lol good try ;)
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I do that to my kids all the time. A friend of mine said it was deception and not healthy mentally. I told her who cares. Good nutrition leads to higher test scores, which may yield a good job. A good job with insurance thus enabling them to pay for a therapist.
  • charm_quark
    charm_quark Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Making me want tacos. :grumble:
    me too.... :sad:
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Way to go, dad!!
  • rolliepollie087
    rolliepollie087 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Haha I have tried that trick with my husband who loathes and detests bell peppers or zucchini...he still figured it out ! =( Props to you though!!
  • Brown_Eyed_Beauty
    Brown_Eyed_Beauty Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    very sneaky and helpful! Im gonna use that when I have kids.
  • hadlam83
    hadlam83 Posts: 140
    Options
    Awesome work! In our house its just standard process when preparing mince to at the very least add in grated carrot and finely chopped mushrooms, spinach and onion. My 3 year old has no idea and loves it :)
  • jpbgrad98CHANGED
    Options
    That's awesome. Did you tell them what you did afterwards?

Not yet... I am goi g to give it a few meals and then present it to them... That way I can let them know that have had them a few times now, so it's no big deal to eat them without being hidden... I may even find that they like it they way it is, and I will keep "hiding" them.. Heck I could even make it a game... Guess the hidden veggie... Then they will always want them!
  • Brown_Eyed_Beauty
    Brown_Eyed_Beauty Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I do that to my kids all the time. A friend of mine said it was deception and not healthy mentally. I told her who cares. Good nutrition leads to higher test scores, which may yield a good job. A good job with insurance thus enabling them to pay for a therapist.

• AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with my son. He is a carb-atarian... No red meat. no vegetables except carrots and only in very specific things. And even then it's iffy. And he eats potatos but again.. carb/starch.. So Tonite I made baked pasta. I crushed tomatos added onion galic, peppers and finely diced carrots,fresh spinach and mushrooms. tossed it in the garden vegetable pasta sauce that I had mixed it with the veggie pasta and some cheese and baked the heck out of it.. He chowed down! Luckily as parents we have our little tricks. :tongue:
  • sardesc
    sardesc Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I always do this in just about everything I cook. My son would rather eat greek salad (without dressing!) than mashed potatoes, so it's not that I need to hide veggies in food. It adds bulk to foods and makes meals larger than they would be otherwise. People without kids think this is a stupid idea.
  • MicroHez
    MicroHez Posts: 125 Member
    Options

As far as trust, I'm not sure this will all of a sudden make my kids lose their trust in me, but I appreciate the concern. :-)

When I was younger (maybe 8-9), my mom tried to get us to start eating ground turkey. She snuck it into our sloppy joes and Dad and I willingly ate it. She did this a few times. Then, one day I saw the packaging in the trash. I asked her if the last few batches had been turkey and she unwillingly told me yes.

20 years later, I REFUSE to eat sloppy joes!

True story.