Heart Rate Monitor Recommendations

Options
Hi all! I'm getting really frustrated with my HRM and am thinking about getting a different one. I currently have a Polar F6 and when it works I love it. My problem is that it doesn't always read me. I can be in the middle of a workout and it drops to zero. I've actually been wondering if maybe it's just too big for me... the chest strap is down as small as it will go. It's also the men's version since they didn't have any of the women's version when I bought it.

I know that most people say that the chest strap is more accurate. Does anyone know of one with a smaller chest strap? Or a really good one that doesn't use a chest strap at all?

Replies

• WrenLynn
    WrenLynn Posts: 213
    Options
    I would contact the company. They may send you a smaller strap for you to try. It would be worth a shot. I love my Polar F6. The only time it hasn't worked for me is when I wear a certain sports bra that interferes when I move. Good Luck!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I had this problem a bit with my F6 but tightening the strap helped. Make sure that it's positioned right too and that the nodes are wet when you put it on - use spit because the salt content works better than water at making a connection. It's kind of gross, but I just lick mine before putting it on (don't worry, i wash it after wearing it!!). Also, a good soap and water cleaning might help if there is any build up on it.

If you do decide to move to something else look at the F9 (or is it the 11?) - the chest strap is more comfortable (mostly elastic with just a small square of plastic), but you pay for it!
  • mooselady2004
    mooselady2004 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Have you cleaned the chest strap lately? Mine was not working well, and then I scrubbed it down real well, and then it worked fine. Also, have you changed your batteries lately? Your battery in your chest strap may be low.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    You can purchase a small size chest strap on Amazon for the polar watches. Try that first. It will be far cheaper than a new HRM.
  • blackmamba886
    blackmamba886 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    It's been cleaned and it isn't the battery. It's been doing this since I got it and all that has been checked and re-checked. I've tried different positioning but I don't think that's it either... other places just don't read at all. That's how I ended up figuring that maybe it's just that it's too big (and it's not the first thing it's happened with... I can't an earpiece for my cell phone because my ear is too small!) I will DEF check out to see if they have a smaller chest strap... I really would prefer to keep it if I can.

Thank you all!!! :happy:
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    You can purchase a small size chest strap on Amazon for the polar watches. Try that first. It will be far cheaper than a new HRM.

I'm not speaking from experience - so I don't know how this works, but I would check it first - the F6 are coded so they only pick up your strap - unlike the F4 which will freak out at the gym picking up other signals. You might be sure that you can swap chest straps and have it connect to your watch before buying a new one. Like I said, I have no experience so no idea - but throwing it out there. Maybe someone who has swapped straps can comment on how to make sure your watch picks up the new one?