"Fat-Full"foods. What's your take?

Options
2»

Replies

• Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I would get nowhere near my calorie goals without a good amount of fat everyday. I like fat free greek yogurt, just the taste and texture. If I could get my lactose free milk in full fat, I would, but I make do with 2% (and this reminds that I need to pick some more up).
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    From December 2011 through December 2012, 65% of my daily calories came from dietary fat, including lots of whole milk. I went from 308 lbs. and 42% body fat to 190 lbs. and 13% body fat. A ketogenic diet combined with intermittent fasting effortlessly melted my body fat, eliminated all cravings, and made hypoglycemia a non-issue. During that time period, a simple correlation study of macronutrient intake, estimated body fat percentage, and scale weight made it an obvious choice. Interestingly, since going under 13% body fat, my body is metabolizing macronutrients much differently. My body now favors carbohydrates, particulary those high in fiber. It's like a switch was flipped.

It all seems counterintuitive and goes against conventional wisdom: eat high fat until you get thin. In my experience, most things that work really well, do.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    fat free 4 life yo! I'm a massive volume eater and I get plenty of fats from peanut butter :smile:
  • corneredbycorn
    corneredbycorn Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Full fat only, even for Greek yogurt.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Low fat salad dressing and mayo full fat every where else.
  • thatjulesgirl
    thatjulesgirl Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Fat is gooooooood. Proper, healthy fat is *important*. Last night I saw an ad on TV.... "my mum saved us 2.5kgs a year of yucky animal fat by switching to Meadow Lea margarine"... Made me sick to think how convincingly they demonised butter and made the pseudo-food margarine look good.

As far as I'm concerned....

chemical+****+storm.jpg
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I go for the lite version on stuff like Cool Whip and yogurt. I don't notice a different in taste or texture in those. But for cheeses or milk or ice cream, I usually go for full-fat. Sometimes I'll do 2% on cheese or milk though, for the price savings if nothing else.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

chemical+****+storm.jpg

water is a chemical
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Used to be low fat as my mother always bought low fat and also, I had concerns about material I had read connecting full fat dairy produce to clogged arteries...well, I rely on dairy to keep me full as meat and fish just don't do that for me, so I am still researching and fretting that the dairy I have might be somehow harmful. I have generally between 170 and 400g a day in the form of greek yoghurt and cottage cheese. I have debated giving it up, but then too much meat isn't good for you either, if longevity studies are anything to go by, so yeah, doesn't leave much else to eat, haha.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I can't seem to stick to a diet that involves less than 30% of my calories coming from fat. I fret about the full fat dairy, eggs, and not-entirely-lean meat that I eat, but I feel good, and so far my blood tests have always been good.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I eat fat free Greek yogurt because I don't like the taste of the full fat one.. and I get reduced fat feta and 1% milk cause I was raised on it. Everything else is the real stuff. Gimmie that butter yea baby!! LOL
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Fat is gooooooood. Proper, healthy fat is *important*. Last night I saw an ad on TV.... "my mum saved us 2.5kgs a year of yucky animal fat by switching to Meadow Lea margarine"... Made me sick to think how convincingly they demonised butter and made the pseudo-food margarine look good.

chemical+****+storm.jpg

Fat free milk?
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I eat a low fat/ fat free diet and lost 138pds eating that way!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    When it comes to dairy products, I typically have 2% (or low fat) products because they are lower in calories and I can have more. Cheeses made from 2% milk don't taste all that different from full fat if you buy the right brands. I don't like fat free dairy because they tend to taste weird, UNLESS we are talking about milk or Greek yogurt. I buy skim milk for my protein shakes and I buy plain fat free Greek yogurt (which does NOT add a bunch of sugar, unless you are bent on getting those fruity flavored ones or even "vanilla")

I agree that healthy fats are important, but fats are very caloric. So you can have more calories (more food) if you get the lower fat versions. But, do watch for the sugar and other additives. I do not demonize any foods, but healthy substitutions have helped me along the way from 191 pounds down to what you see in my profile picture.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Other than low fat milk you will never see "fat free" or " low fat" in my food diary. I much prefer to cut crappy white carbs and get the gorgeous benefits and taste of healthy fats ;-)
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Fats are the last foods to leave your stomach (first is simple, then complex carbs, and then protein) and they help you stay full longer :) I only go low fat on dairy and meat, because A) I know that there isn't a weird substitution to make them low fat and B) because I get plenty of good fats from oils and nuts and lean meats.

That being said, try balsamic vinegar on salads. I love it more than any dressing!
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    With very few exceptions, I let taste by my guide. There are some "fat-free" or "low-fat" products that I prefer the taste to full-fat (I like 2% cow milk when I drink it, for example). But unless the calorie difference is HUGE, it's not worth it to me - and even then, I may just select another product. I don't subscribe to the demonization (or magical power) of specific foods.