Can you have too much sugar from fruit?

Options

Replies

• quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    A nutritionist told me that i can eat alllllllllll the fruits and veggies i want! The sugars from fruits are complex sugars

No they aren't complex. They are simple sugars, like the kind you pour from a packet into your coffee. They just have prettier colors when they look like fruit.
  • ianwartist
    Options
    They aren't complex, they are simple sugars, but a far cry from the sugar you put into your morning coffee in that they actually have nutritional value (high fiber being chief among them). I would say if you have a glucose problem that would be your main concern about eating too many fruits, but they are not like eating a snickers or drinking a soda. Big difference.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    The question was about sugar in fruit, not nutrition in fruit. Two completely different subjects. The sugar in the fruit is exactly the same as a packet of sugar. Fruit has vitamins and fiber in addition to the sugar, but that doesn't have anything to do with the sugar itself. If someone has already reached their nutritional goals for the day, then sugar in fruit can put them over their limit for sugar, carbs, and calories just as easily as sugar from a glass of soda.
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I am a vegan and I eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. I go over on sugar every single day.
    I pay no attention to it whatsoever.
    I will never stop eating lots of fruits and I would not trust a,"diet," that ever told me I couldn't have fruit.
  • vespertine1207
    Options
    I just read and article about how fructose and glucose have their influences on our body. In Germany scientists proved on both, mice and humans, that fructose leads to an increased fat-reserve. Means that there are connections between the intake of fructose and obesity. The results of that study pointed out, that fructose increases lipogenesis, the process of building up bodyfat. And unfortunately it didn't have any relations to a higher calorie intake.
    This doesn't necessarily mean it's right, but it's something to think about.

I just talked with my hostmum (I'm an Aupair) and she is really really healthy. She only shops at Whole Foods and knows a LOT about nutrition. She ready this book called "On Target Living" which is a pretty good one and even in there it says, that you should always choose vegetables over fruits.
    So it's danger in disguise. Of course it's smarter to pick a fruit over a candybar or other trash, since fruits also deliver important nutrients. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't be careful.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I just read and article about how fructose and glucose have their influences on our body. In Germany scientists proved on both, mice and humans, that fructose leads to an increased fat-reserve. Means that there are connections between the intake of fructose and obesity. The results of that study pointed out, that fructose increases lipogenesis, the process of building up bodyfat. And unfortunately it didn't have any relations to a higher calorie intake.

Go take a look at the fructose dosages and consider how much fruit one would need to eat in order to approach those dosages and the results should tell a different story as it pertains to making applicable diet changes based on the study.

EDIT: Also, this thread was from March.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I am vegan, and am also over on sugar everyday, but it all comes from my fruit. I am not a nutritionist, or a scientist, but I know for me it is not a problem. I have lost weight consisteny, and when I had my physical two weeks ago my lab work was fantastic! I think unless your body has some kind of problem processing sugar (such as insulin resistance) it should not be a problem.
  • vespertine1207
    Options

Go take a look at the fructose dosages and consider how much fruit one would need to eat in order to approach those dosages and the results should tell a different story as it pertains to making applicable diet changes based on the study.

EDIT: Also, this thread was from March.

If you ate as many grams of fructose as glucose, the fructose would have a worse impact on your bodyfat.

They had 3 groups of people. The first one had to drink a juice for breakfast that was out of 100% glucose, the second group's juice had a 50:50 amount of glucose and fructose and the last group had a 75% fructose juice. They proved that the higher the amount of fructose, the higher the lipogenesis. And not just that, it even lasted longer. The third group's fat was being stored longer, even at dinner it was still way more active than compared to the other groups.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

I just talked with my hostmum (I'm an Aupair) and she is really really healthy. She only shops at Whole Foods and knows a LOT about nutrition. She ready this book called "On Target Living" which is a pretty good one and even in there it says, that you should always choose vegetables over fruits.
    So it's danger in disguise. Of course it's smarter to pick a fruit over a candybar or other trash, since fruits also deliver important nutrients. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't be careful.

I'm sorry, but when someone calls candy bars trash, I can no longer pay attention to anything else they say.
    :)
  • LMCyeah
    LMCyeah Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I found this thread! I've been having the hardest time trying to hit my calorie goal without going way over on my sugar. I'm trying to look for more sources of lean protein to bulk up my meals and snacks, but it's hard when the budget doesn't allow for a whole lot of meat!
  • PaullaG
    PaullaG Posts: 4
    Options
    Try low glycemic fruits. Also, trying eating 1/2 of the frui. t then the other half later. I know it's hard when you love fruit and I do, too! \Apples, berries, grapefruit
  • PaullaG
    PaullaG Posts: 4
    Options
    Lot of protein in lentils and chia seeds and other legumes and veggies! Chia seeds are great!
  • janerfitnesspal145
    janerfitnesspal145 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Bump for reference.
  • christocentrist
    Options
    Bumping to read later. I have this same problem; I am ALWAYS over in sugar.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Unless you're potentially diabetic, it's probably fine.
  • chewyjuhee
    Options
    If its natural sugar from fruits, then I don't honk you have to stress so much in limiting it as the diary plans. However too much fruit can lead to diabetes. I know this cuz I joined my doctor dad on a medical missions trip to Cambodia: he people there are mostly in poverty, so they mainly get their food from fruits that grow abundantly around like banana, mango, or cane sugar drinks. My dad found that the majority of the people who came to him had diabetes because their diet mainly consisted of sweet fruits. So yeah, too much fruit every day can lead to health problems, so I would recommend at least combining your fruits with bland vegetables and develop your taste buds to adapt to less sweetness. I add spring mix to my fruit smoothies as a filler. Also, if you feel that your vegetable smoothies are too bland and tasteless (even with added banana or strawberries), adding a pinch of citric acid really improves the taste tremendously;) it's sweet/tangy and full of vitamin c without adding any sugar or other sweet fruits.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Not if you are eating it raw and whole. Yes, if you are cooking it, juicing it, or blending it.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Not if you are eating it raw and whole. Yes, if you are cooking it, juicing it, or blending it.

logic?
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

logic?
    Yep, logic.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

logic?
    Yep, logic.

No that was me requesting you explain your logic of how blending a fruit can magically make you capable of consuming too much sugar from it. Despite the fact the only thing that's changed is the physical structure of the fruit in question.