Help, Gaining instead of losing

Options
Hi,
I have been using MFP for about 2weeks. a friend has been really successful with it so I decided to give it a try. However, I am finding that I am GAINING weight each week when I weigh. I try not to weigh more than once/ week but when I do weigh and I gain, I tend to try the next day. However, the trend is, I have gained according the scale todayat least 3lbs. How is this possible when I generally stick to my calories. Sometimes I am under, sometimes I'm over. I should work out more, yes, but regardles, I have changed the eating habits to fit the program and calorie intake, and I'm getting super frustrated. Anyone have anything similar happen? What did you do?

Replies

• jackieomara
    jackieomara Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    how many calories are you eating and what are you eating? can you open your diary? :)
  • deigodiva
    Options
    I opened it for now. I get 1260 a day. One day last week I did go over by a lot b/c I ate mcdonalds, but most days im relatively in line.
  • deigodiva
    Options
    Today I went over because I was on autopilot and just ate something without thinking and had to record it. UGH. I need to learn how to control that also.
  • jackieomara
    jackieomara Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Everyone's going to send you to this link:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Read through it, figure out how many calories you should be eating via the websites and advice he gives, follow that! It's likely that your body is in starvation mode and you actually need to be eating more to lose :)
  • sonhando
    sonhando Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Are you doing new exercises that may be making you retain water?
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Read through it, figure out how many calories you should be eating via the websites and advice he gives, follow that! It's likely that your body is in starvation mode and you actually need to be eating more to lose :)

Yup. Read all of this.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    It could be three things causing gain.

1. You're not eating nor netting enough by eating your exercise calories.
    2. You're going over on sodium levels, which causes water retention
    3. Your muscles are retaining water to repair themselves.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

This, except that starvation mode part. Your body will not enter "starvation" mode after a couple weeks of VLCD.

Also, pretty sure you answered your own question.

You're not consistent with tracking, and you're not sticking to your goals. Done and done.
  • Dulcemami4ever
    Dulcemami4ever Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Could be your sodium intake. Regardless of road map info she is still eating at a deficit but its all over the place. Some people's bodies don't respond to weight loss when they eat a lot of processed outside food. Or high sodium food...or carbs. What you can do is for a week or two, totally clean up what you are eating. Less sodium, good carbs, lean proteins and some good veggies. Avoid eating out. If you want to follow that roadmap thing you can, if not, pick a good calorie deficit that you are comfy with and that's healthy. I am sure after a couple tweeks you'll be fine!
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    It could be three things causing gain.

1. You're not eating nor netting enough by eating your exercise calories.
    2. You're going over on sodium levels, which causes water retention
    3. Your muscles are retaining water to repair themselves.

This, and the road map thread. Have patience and good luck!
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    What they all said. Read the road map. Best thing I ever did for myself.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    If you are dissatisfied with your scale, 1ConcreteGirl has one she can give you. Hers reports miracles.
  • deigodiva
    Options
    Thanks! I'll read the article. And actually no, i'm not consistant but mostly just under or at my calorie goal for the day, so I dont see that as my problem. I just did reports, and is more than likely the sodium intake. I'll look at that artifcle. thanks so much!
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    If you are dissatisfied with your scale, 1ConcreteGirl has one she can give you. Hers reports miracles.
    Nope, I already called dibs.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Nope, I already called dibs.

It's true, I gained and lost a total of 46 lbs within a week.
  • spidey11186
    spidey11186 Posts: 141 Member
    Options

LMAOOOOO
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing and measuring everything? I know that was my problem! I'd guestimate, and then was waaay off!
  • LinDiSm26262
    LinDiSm26262 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    You may not be eating enough calories and your body thinks you're starving. When you increase your calories you may gain for a few weeks and then once your body adjusts to the additional calories you will begin losing. I think someone posted a site to figure calories. See if you're eating the proper amount of calories and go from there.
  • jljshoe1979
    jljshoe1979 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Scales can be very frustrating (I've changed as much as 5 lbs in a day). Try taking measurements over your body (mid-upper arms, chest, stomach, hips, mid-upper legs, mid-lower legs). You may have heard this before, but a pound of muscle is more dense that a pound of fat, so it takes up less space, but weighs the same. Also, since you have changed your diet only over the past few weeks, you may be retaining water. It may seem counter-intuitive, but drink more water. You can also use your clothing. I tend to wear baggy shirts, but I knew I was gaining weight when my undergarments started feeling too tight on me...if your losing inches (aka fat), your clothes should start feeling looser.