Does time of day matter for exercise?

Options
I usually work out mid morning, halfway in between breakfast and lunch. But would I burn more calories/ fat if I worked out first thing in the morning before any food? I'm usually starving so I can't see myself doing a really good workout on an empty stomach. But I welcome any advice or opinions on this.

Thanks!

Replies

• sassy15241
    sassy15241 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't feel it matters. If I work out at night, I stay up late because I am energized. If I didn't start work so early, I'd rather go in the mornings.

I would also eat before a work out to get energy!

Have a great day,
    Sharon
  • DostThouEven
    Options
    no
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Time of day doesn't matter and fasted workouts are less effective that fed.
  • laurenweatherill
    laurenweatherill Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    From what I have read, it's been proved that it is more effective to work out in the morning. You'll need to eat something small to kick start your metabolism which will in turn, help with the weight loss.
  • tenintwenty
    Options
    I've heard working out on an empty stomach forces your body to learn to metabolize fat more readily. Then again, if you're dragging during your workout, or your workout for a shorter period of time because you don't have enough energy to work out on an empty stomach, I think it's a waste of time. If you're cutting calories, I'd for sure eat before your workout in order to have enough energy to perform well. Experiment with timing after your on maintenance and your overall energy levels are higher.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't matter, just like the times you eat don't matter. The body doesn't know how to tell time. Do your workouts whenever it's convenient and easy for you to fit it in so that you're consistent...THAT is what matters most.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    No. The emphasis on certain times of day are to help you build consistency and habit. Work out when you have the most energy and are most able to fit it into your day.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    But would I burn more calories/ fat if I worked out first thing in the morning before any food?

No where in any equation to calculate calories burned is a variable for the time of day that you worked out.

With that being said, no. The time of day has no impact whatsoever on the amount of calories your body will burn.
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I do mine in two blocks (due to time constraints)

6am for 30 mins JM workout (no food before - but brekkie after)

6.30pm 30 mins on treadmill - running... Usually have a snack before and my main meal 45 mins after.

Honestly don't know whether it's good or bad but only opportunity I get so better than not working out!! I have to say I have more energy for the day after I have worked out first thing though...
  • steph0924
    steph0924 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I believe the best time of day to workout is the time that works best for you. If you force yourself to workout first thing in the morning on an empty stomach and it could make you feel miserable then what incentive will you have to workout? I think it would cause you do dread working out. I am not able to workout in the morning. My body acts like it is 30 years older and can't give morning workouts the same intensity I can in the evenings. So, I workout in the evening and my girls take that time to play around with their toys or do homework right there. There are some people who can't workout in the evenings b/c then they can't sleep, but that is not a problem for me. So, do what works best for you!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    This would be a matter of preference and performance. I'd choose the time that best meets both of those scenarios.
  • mmapags
    Options
    From what I have read, it's been proved that it is more effective to work out in the morning. You'll need to eat something small to kick start your metabolism which will in turn, help with the weight loss.

Nope. Sorry. Makes no difference and your metabolism doesn't ever need to be kickstarted.
  • mmapags
    Options
    I've heard working out on an empty stomach forces your body to learn to metabolize fat more readily.

According to this study, you heard incorrectly. Fed training has proved slightly superior to fasted training.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21411835

Bottom line is pretty much what SideSteel said.
    This would be a matter of preference and performance. I'd choose the time that best meets both of those scenarios.