Is it "bad" to eat bananas when trying to lose weight?

Options
So I've heard mixed things about eating bananas when trying to lose weight.

I eat 1 every morning cut up in greek yogurt with cinnamon and a bit of honey. I do notice it increases my sugar intake for the day (I realize the honey does as well- but I limit my sugar at lunch and dinner)

Should I eat a different fruit?? Do bananas hinder weight loss?

Replies

• cals83
    cals83 Posts: 131
    Options
    They won't hinder your weight loss as long as you make them fit into your calorie/macro goals for the day.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    They won't hinder your weight loss as long as you make them fit into your calorie/macro goals for the day.

This! Worry more about foods with added sugar, not natural sugar. I eat a banana just about every day and as you can see by my ticker, it's not holding me back at all.
  • Seaglass1123
    Seaglass1123 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Banana eater every day. I think I am doing well ;)
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Banana eater every day. I think I am doing well ;)

giggidy
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I've been losing with eating 1-2 bananas a day. They are nutritious, delicious and satisfying!
  • jmlosingit
    jmlosingit Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!!!!
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I eat 2-3 a day. I think they are a great filling snack :smile:
  • catlbeginagain
    catlbeginagain Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    This was great to see because I've been wondering the same thing!!
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    There is no hard proof that bananas...or any other food...hinders weight loss if you simply maintain your caloric intake properly. That old saying "All things in moderation." holds true here.

Good luck.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    It's not bad to eat ANYTHING when trying to lose weight.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

this

bananas are good for you

however I rarely eat them because my kids eat them all before I get a chance to
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I would say, if you are only eating one (not the whole bunch at one time), that you are fine. I would however suggest that you add some fat & protein into your breakfast, to help your body metabolize the sugar without spiking your blood sugar (which will later crash).
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    yes, fruit has sugar. it's supposed to. your body runs on sugar. you are meant to eat fruit. never don't eat fruit.

bananas are also full of bloat-fighting potassium and fullness-inducing fiber so imo they're helpful for weight loss!
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Eat your bananas, log them, be happy. No food is going to prevent weight loss unless you eat too many calories. Last night I had gravy fries, beer and potato skins. I logged them and I'll still lose weight this week. Eat your food and enjoy it.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    As long as it fits your goals I dont see the problem. I had toast with peanut butter and a banana for breakfast this morning.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

This! Worry more about foods with added sugar, not natural sugar. I eat a banana just about every day and as you can see by my ticker, it's not holding me back at all.

And adding to this. I've eaten more bananas since I started here at the end of December than I have in several years. It hasn't held me back any as long as I make it fit into my diary. In fact, it's a great way to get some extra calories in if you're falling short for your daily target... at least that's been my experience.
  • Tatiyanya
    Tatiyanya Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Bananas make a happy tummy and if they are wrong I dont want to be right, but yeah. They sure as heck didnt slow my weightloss.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    It's not bad to eat ANYTHING when trying to lose weight.

And from someone who according to their ticker has lost 158lb then it must be true!

It comes down to calories in, calories out. Would you rather have one banana or two small apples? Eat whichever you like.

If I decide I want a glass of wine with dinner and some extra olive oil on my salad, I simply calculate it into my daily calories (or go for a run to 'earn' the calories!).

And nothing is better than chocolate banana icecream for a late evening snack: http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2012/08/simple-chocolate-banana-ice-cream.html
  • deanabailey
    deanabailey Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana every day hasn't made me gain.
  • BrandiBoo84
    BrandiBoo84 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Eat a banana most every morning and I'm fine :) I personally think that if your sugars come from natural fruits youre ok !