BMR Question

Options
Hello,

I posted this on the Fitness board and thought I should post it here too just in case. Hello, I was wondering if you all could help open my eyes and see what I feel like i'm missing here regarding BMR calculations. According to calculations, my BMR is 1588.4. When I use the Harris Benedict formula, it states maintenance calories would be 2462.02. Now, I have weighed the same weight, give or take a pound or two here and there, for the past 7-8 years. Some years I worked out busted my behind working out and eating right and other years I gave up and just sat, and I still never gained or lost. For the past two years, I've picked up working out on an every other day to daily basis and have really cleaned up my eating, but I would randomly track my calories for a few months to see how much I was really eating. During my years where I was not dieting. No matter what, i never went over 1,500-1,600 calories. Now that I am older and eating better and a lot more, I can't even get over 1,300 calories.

Now my question is, how is it that to maintain my weight I need 2462.02 calories? I can't imagining eating that much. And if I am working out plus eating healthy and less calories shouldn't I lose? I just see that as such a huge number for maintenance. Am I missing something? Also, if I'm eating under a 500 deficit, plus working out where is the weight loss? I mean I'm happy I have not gained at all, but I wonder why I still can't lose.

Any ideas?

Thank you,
Elle

Replies

• thepotz
    thepotz Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Check my diary out I eat 3800 easy in a busy day :-)
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    First of all, your BMR is not the number of calories necessary to maintain weight.

Secondly, if these numbers are correct, you are not eating enough for your body to actually let you lose weight.

Please read this in its entirety so that you can understand the weight loss process. Educating yourself will be vital to your success here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I'm not real sure what your real question is, but I would ask if you are sure about your calorie intake - as in how strict are you at counting? Do you weigh your food?

If your BMR is almost 1600 and you are only eating 1300 plus working out then you definitely not eating enough. To increase your calories cut out any 'low fat' stuff and go for the real thing (usually better for you anyways as they do not have all the chemicals in it), add nuts to your salads and stuff, cook with healthy oils, etc. I understand being used to eating 'healthy' but there are plenty of calorie high foods that are healthy.
  • kaylaknight4247
    kaylaknight4247 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    That's right, you're not eating enough. Your body will hold onto fat and try its hardest to maintain your weight if you're not even reaching your BMR. I got into netting about 1000 calories for a while purely by accident when I began eating healthier and my schedule got more hectic. (my BMR is around 1450) I did it for so long I didn't even feel hungry even though I was undereating. I've lost weight since I've increased calories to above my BMR, but still below my maintenance calories. I bet when you were working out it got worse too, if you didn't eat back those calories, you would have been netting even less.

Look through the forums or google increasing calories to lose weight, you'll learn a lot more about why it works. If you increase your calories, you'll gain a few pounds the first 2-3 weeks (mostly water weight/food in your body weight/hormones adjusting) and then you'll start dropping it.
  • Elle_Elle
    Options
    I guess it is just hard to comprehend that eating that many calories actually helps lose weight. I've understood the concept, but being a big girl, the last thing I want to do is inhale those calories and then not lose the weight. I've always had binging issues growing up and anytime I ate too much I was ridiculed by family, so it's a fear I have of eating all these calories, regardless of it being healthy calories, and having someone say, "Oh look she's at it again."

I'm going to try it and see what happens. I plan on getting a scale to be more accurate with calorie calculations. I don't really eat fat free. I prefer whole fats, especially with cheese, but I would say my downfall are the sweets, which I'm working hard on eliminating except for a few indulgences like my dove dark chocolate pieces. I can't give up my dark chocolate. Plus, i'm 24 days soda and sweet tea free, which is really good considering those were my go to drinks with a meal.

Thank you all. I'm going to try this out and hope for the best!

Elle