SO CONFUSED~

Options
I am so confused on what the right diet or workout plan is to lose the weight. There are so many out there, but I dont know what route to take or what diet to follow!

Replies

• hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    It doesn't have to be hard. I don't "follow" any diet or workout plan! I simply try to eat what I am suppose to comsume everyday, getting enough fruit, veggies, protein and grains and keep them with in a calorie limit. That is my food plan.

My exercise plan is ... JUST MOVE!

It really works, there is no science to it.
  • DanielleJoy129
    Options
    I saw a nutritionist once who gave me this advice:

Diets always fail because they, by definition, are temporary.
    Instead, make lifestyle changes.

If you aim for perfection, you WILL fail.
    Instead, try to make good, healthy decisions MOST of the time,
    and don't beat yourself up when you indulge once in a while.

Everyone has an internal clock:
    for example, if I eat frenchfries at noon,
    I say to myself "well, I just ruined my day, I might as well
    eat pizza, ice cream, cake, potato chips... and then get
    back on my diet tomorrow."

Instead, "re-set" your inner clock:
    if you eat fries, say, ok, I'm going to eat a light, healthy dinner.

Voila! Skinny people don't "punish" themselves for eating crap
    by eating MORE crap! That's a fat persons mentality (mine included.)
    I'm trying to "reset" my clock...

Trust My Fitness Pal to tell you how many calories to eat per day.
    Then, slowly start adding in exercise.

Eat as many fresh fruits and veggies as you possibly can!
  • wwmorrow
    wwmorrow Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Well, that's hard because everyone is different. What works for one, might not work for someone else due to time, finances, etc. I think the best thing is to just start somewhere. If you haven't been exercising, start walking or riding a bike. As for the "diet", just start looking for ways to incorporate fruit or veggies, and just start watching your calories. There are a lot of days when my fruit or vegetable intake is awfully low, but I try to stay within my calorie range. I think logging calories is great because you see just how many calories are in certain foods, and you get those "ah-hah" moments when you realize just how much you were eating. I'm not a really big eater, but I ate foods that were very high in calories because I love sweets. So although it didn't seem like I was eating as much (or more) than others, I was heavy because of the calories I ate - not the volume. After awhile, it starts making sense. Good luck!!
  • Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I am so confused on what the right diet or workout plan is to lose the weight. There are so many out there, but I dont know what route to take or what diet to follow!

Eat less and move more. Seriously...it doesn't have to be right or fast, but if you eat a little less each day (no seconds, smaller piece of cake, healthier choice at the restaurant, etc.) and move a little more (parking at the end of the parking lot, making an extra lap around walmart before or after shopping, etc.) you will see a difference over time.

Once you get the changes started and begin seeing results, you can add a little more exercise and start looking at different ways to eat healthy.
  • cheron40
    cheron40 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I went to see s dietitian as I was in the same boat-
    basically she told me to eat:
    snack, breakfast,lunch,snack,dinner and 5x500mls of water per day

snacks have to be 2 of the 4 food groups
    and meals have be 3 of the 4 food groups-

portion sizes as mostly about the size of your fist or smaller

hope that helped
  • myvizslasrock
    Options
    Yeah, unfortunately, there is no "magic potion." The only way to lose the weight and keep it off is to watch what you eat, keep track of it, and start moving. Good Luck!! :-)
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    It doesn't have to be hard. I don't "follow" any diet or workout plan! I simply try to eat what I am suppose to comsume everyday, getting enough fruit, veggies, protein and grains and keep them with in a calorie limit. That is my food plan.

Yes.
  • Kamile69
    Kamile69 Posts: 87
    Options

^^^^ this
  • randilynn113
    randilynn113 Posts: 227 Member
    Options

Eat less and move more. Seriously...it doesn't have to be right or fast, but if you eat a little less each day (no seconds, smaller piece of cake, healthier choice at the restaurant, etc.) and move a little more (parking at the end of the parking lot, making an extra lap around walmart before or after shopping, etc.) you will see a difference over time.

Once you get the changes started and begin seeing results, you can add a little more exercise and start looking at different ways to eat healthy.

This is good advice because as you start making the small changes, you will start seeing results -- and that is what motivates me to be more active and choose healthier things as my new lifestyle. I'm not "following" anything diet-wise, I just hold myself accountable to my calories. I am however, enjoying working out so much more and I have much more energy!
  • aseymour13
    aseymour13 Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Lots of good suggestions, recommendations already posted for you. It's how to get it done!
  • burkhart_h
    burkhart_h Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    just so we are all CLEAR HERE! I am moving! I am working out 5 days a week at the gym. I really only wanted helpful things not the attitude u get on here! thanks! This is supposed to be a helpful site that people can go 2 to get that support and yet we have the people who just want to be total *sses!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    What I would do is not pick any of the "diet plans." Start by just sticking to your calorie goal. Then start to work in more nutrient dense foods. Make sure you're getting plenty of veggies and protein. Don't deprive yourself.

IMO overly restrictive diets lead to failure. The best plan is the one you can stick to forever.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    just so we are all CLEAR HERE! I am moving! I am working out 5 days a week at the gym. I really only wanted helpful things not the attitude u get on here! thanks! This is supposed to be a helpful site that people can go 2 to get that support and yet we have the people who just want to be total *sses!

Who was being rude? I thought the suggestions were very helpful.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

I see people here being helpful not being rude. Not sure what you want from people, but here's my advice: enter your info on MFP, set it to 1 lb / week loss, log your food extremely accurately, keep you calories and macros in check and go from there.
  • UnoDrea3732
    UnoDrea3732 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Do one that works for you.....

Try it - if it works - keep it.

The real key is moderation but to be honest I can't seem to find where I left that key so I do lower carb and say eff it...
  • nomicat77
    nomicat77 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    go with the diet that contains food you would actually like to eat and would not mind preparing. and do the exercises you can stand the most otherwise nothing you try you will stick to.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options

Wow, I thought you were getting some good advice. I didn't see any attitude in the responses...guess it's all in your perception. So good luck with that.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

No one is being rude.
    You never stated that you were going to a gym and working out.

Lack of information meant people suggested that you eat well and move more.
  • nomicat77
    Options
    also ask yourself why you want to lose weight?

self esteem? you not only want to lose weight you also want to seek a therapist or a self help group.

long life? then it's not just following calories, it's also what nutrients are in those calories

more energy? go for a high energy diet.

then ask yourself if you like to cook, if so any diet is easy to stick to, if not, you might want to go for a smoothie/shake or protien bar type diet.

when are you lacking self control? is at night cravings sweets/carbs? then you may be insulin resistant which means there could be other health issues you aren't aware of. get some full blood work done. fine out what you are lacking. what diet/exercise your doctor recommends

before losing weight you gotta to find the source of why you gained it.

I gained mine from insomnia. I may sleep a total of 3 hours a night. So now I drug myself with lunesta to get a full 8. I also found out i have PCOS which is curable once i lose the weight but it causes insulin resistance, so if i want to maintain or lose I try to eat like a diabetic..that's LOW GI.

I also have severe depression which causes me to want to do nothing but eat pizza and sit and watch tv. Since I have been getting sleep my weight has been droppin off and Im not so depressed.

but everyone is different with different issues. Find out your issues. Really really evaluate yourself. There's more to weight loss then calories in calories out.
  • nomicat77
    Options
    I saw a nutritionist once who gave me this advice:

Diets always fail because they, by definition, are temporary.
    Instead, make lifestyle changes.

If you aim for perfection, you WILL fail.
    Instead, try to make good, healthy decisions MOST of the time,
    and don't beat yourself up when you indulge once in a while.

Everyone has an internal clock:
    for example, if I eat frenchfries at noon,
    I say to myself "well, I just ruined my day, I might as well
    eat pizza, ice cream, cake, potato chips... and then get
    back on my diet tomorrow."

Instead, "re-set" your inner clock:
    if you eat fries, say, ok, I'm going to eat a light, healthy dinner.

Voila! Skinny people don't "punish" themselves for eating crap
    by eating MORE crap! That's a fat persons mentality (mine included.)
    I'm trying to "reset" my clock...

Trust My Fitness Pal to tell you how many calories to eat per day.
    Then, slowly start adding in exercise.

Eat as many fresh fruits and veggies as you possibly can!

LOVE THIS !!!!! GREAT ADVISE!!!!!!!!