My first 5K... a little scared

Options
shellma00
shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
I asked my almost 13 year old son if he would do a 5K Run/Walk with me. His response was "YOU are going to run a 5K??" with a huge smile on his face. My response was "it's a 5K Run/WALK, so I am sure I will be doing more walking than running". He said "yeah, I'm totally gonna beat you! I will do it with you." He is very competitive with everything, he likes to bet on anything he think he can win at. Which will just make this even more fun.

I have never done an official 5K Run before, only did a 5K walk when I was in a church Biggest Loser competition where we did it all together. We live in a rural community and there are not many 5K's around. So of course I am kind of excited and scared at the same time. This 5K is in 6 weeks and I know I will probably not be ready by then. I am so out of shape and I know running would probably kill me. LOL. I downloaded a C25K app on my phone and was hoping to get to use it, but it is so cold and snowy outside and I do not like to get out in the cold/snow/rain. The bright side is that it is supposed to start warming up by the end of the week.

So I guess what I am looking for is a little advice and encouragement, because I know that whenever I tell my husband that my son and I want to sign up, he will laugh too.

Replies

• aecole87
    aecole87 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You can do it! The biggest obstacle you will face is just getting over yourself and doing it! I still get nervous before I go for a run because I'm worried I'll have to quit before I run as much as I planned to. Running is really such a mind game. I usually start thinking I want to quit long before my body needs to. Just do it! Even if you have to walk some so what?? Use any doubt you encounter from others to fuel you. It will make it that much better when you achieve your goal!
    Just don't quit! No matter how bad you want to or how slow you think you're going or how silly you think you look. Don't give up! You can do this!
  • ademiter
    ademiter Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I've never done one myself, but I would like to. And YES, I would be doing more walking than anything! I'm just not a runner! Go for it and have fun! Don't be scared!! :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    As much as cold and snow sucks, think of it as trial by fire. If you can get out there and do your C25K workouts in the worst weather, everything else will be gravy. :smile:
  • kristinhardesty
    Options
    Don't let them bother you! And don't worry about how much you run, or how much you walk, cause races are supposed to be fun! So just have fun!
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a treadmill or even an elliptical? Even if you walked the entire thing you will be so proud :) Good for you! Don't be afraid to bundle up and walk/run outside. Millions of people do it ;)
  • aprilelayne
    aprilelayne Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Do it!! No matter how much of it you end up walking/jogging or actually running it doesn't matter. The atmosphere at the 5K will be great, the group and air around you is what makes them so much fun! And doing it with your kiddo? even better!

My 8yr old and I just did our first one this past weekend together, and he's bugging me to let him 'practice' and train with me more to do better next month.

Trust me, five years ago when I signed up for my first one ever and still 40lbs over weight I had no idea what I was getting into.

But after I walked across the line that first time?
    I totally get the 'runners high' or addiction people talk about, its not just about the physicality of 5K or even a 1K, its the encouragement and positive attitude that surrounds you.
  • seestellarun13_1
    seestellarun13_1 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    jamers3111 asked what I was going to. You can definitely train on the treadmill/elliptical! And who cares if you don't run the whole thing, YOU WILL HAVE COMPLETED AN ACTUAL 5k! That's more than most people can say! Go get 'em girly!!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    When your race comes around, and if you think you are not ready then do what you had been doing up until then. If you stick with each week, then you should be running 25 minutes straight by week 6...BUT, go at your own pace. If you have to repeat weeks then fine...incorporate what ever day you are in C25K into the race. Good luck!

Oh! And....

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/9-Race-Day-Tips-for-Your-First-5K

P.s. My first 5K is March 23rd!
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Yours is an achievable goal. I glanced at the c25K plan (the original, not sure if it's the same as your app). The last run for week 5 calls for a 5 minute walk, jog 2 miles, 5 minute walk. THAT IS ALMOST 5K RIGHT THERE!!!! Just walk the remaining distance. (OK, you'll still be a little over 1/2 mile short, but you get the point right?)

If you start this plan and follow it for 5 weeks, you'll run 2/3 of the race. And that's more running than walking. And you'll finish with a smile. You've so got this, if you can start.

P.S. What Lorina just said. What sucks in the cold weather is starting. Once you're into the workout, it's not so bad. :-)
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    As Nike says, "JUST DO IT"

Get out there with your app and make it happen for yourself.
    YOU GOT THIS if you want it.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    This is how it all starts...you do one 5k and the next thing you know, you are looking for a Half Marathon to sign up for! It's addictive! So look at your race this way...it's your first one, so no matter how fast or slow you are, it's a PR! Woo hoo! I have done all manner of races from 5ks to 5 Half Marathons. I haven't "run" all of any of them even though it is still a goal of mine. There is no better feeling than crossing the finish line. You only have yourself to compete against! Rereading this is just sounds like I am throwing out a bunch of one liners, but it's all true. And for good measure, I will throw out one more...even the last person gets the same medal as the one who came in first!

Good luck and HAVE FUN!
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Don't be scared! I ran my first 5K last September, at age 47. I have to say, though, that it's important to prepare. I started with the C25K program and then after finishing that I just worked on my speed and endurance. But I didn't want to walk at all - I wanted to run the whole way. However you do it, just prep well and take care of yourself. Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Just go for it. There are all manner of people at these 5Ks...yes, there are some "real" runners at many of these, but there are also a lot of people who are in exactly the same boat as you are, particularly if it's a run/walk...charity type of deal.

My wife and I are doing the 5K Run for the Zoo here in ABQ in May. It will be our first...we will be pushing strollers and probably taking up the back of the pack...not worried about it.

Just go have fun.
  • kimmiedunne
    kimmiedunne Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I did my first 5K last year and it was GREAT! I ran the whole way - a HUGE accomplishment for myself! I was scared too but it went very well and I'm sure it will for you as well! Go out there and have fun!
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Get out there and start training today. You never know what the weather will be like on race day so it's best to train in all types of weather. If it's icy out, don't worry about running - just go out for a walk.
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Yay!! That is too cool! My first one is this Saturday, and I am so excited. :) good luck, let me know how yours goes!!
  • penguinlally
    penguinlally Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    you can do it! hit the treadmill----and walk fast! I can't run--it kills my knees--but with the right music I can book it to 4+ mph! I power walked a 5 K last weekend-The Color Run and it was a blast---plan on doing more!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Some things you need to do for your self. Sounds like this is one of them.

- Get good running shoes at a running store!
    - If you have time to train, I suggest C25K.
    - Make sure you practice with whatever you are going to wear, eat, consume BEFORE race day.

Have fun, it's addictive! Next year we'll talking about your first 1/2 marathon!
  • Seaglass1123
    Seaglass1123 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I love this post!!!! Good for you! I ran my first 5k on Thanksgiving and it was the BEST feeling. You will do awesome and feel such a sense of accomplishment!
  • marthajo1
    marthajo1 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    YOU CAN DO IT! I've done five or so 5Ks and the first one was scary not knowing what to expect. And I get competitive and found myself "racing" others vs. trying to beat myself/run at my pace. I was so stressed and pooped after that run. I burned myself out right out of the gate trying to run as fast as those 15 minute 5Kers! So now I commit to knowing what my average minute per mile is and try to beat that. I went from a 28 minute 5K to a 22 1/3 minute 5K in a year. I thank Jillian 30DS for getting my cardio in shape. I also went in focused on me and my own pace so I didn't burn out so quickly.

Anyhow. There are all levels of runners and walkers at these things. Don't be intimidated. Just do your best. It is a great feeling, I think, to cross a finish line! And it's a nice thing to work towards. I always seem to be my healthiest when I have a 5K on the schedule because I'm trying to get my body ready.

Do it and have FUN!