Ditching my Fitbit?

Options
2»

Replies

• dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I don't use FitBit to determine my calories, I use FitBit to track my activity. I set my calories based on the NROLFW and the Road Map guidelines and set my calories to somewhere in between those two suggestions. I control my calories and macros. Not MFP nor FitBit.

I like that I can see what FitBit "gauges" my activity to be at, but it's hard to measure weight lifting in terms of calories burned, so I don't. I use my FitBit to see how much of a slug I am in a day when I don't lift. I try to get 10k steps. I try to climb stairs. I try to get badges for activity.

I love my FitBit like woah, but it's not really my calories tool. It's my activities tool.
  • TssCnn
    TssCnn Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    bump for an education about the fitbit

Same. I am considering pre ordering the Flex.
  • Jess830409
    Jess830409 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I too am in love with my fitbit. I don't pay attention to the extra calories it gives me on MFP. For me, it was all about figurng out how many calories I actually burned in one day. Fitbit gabe me that insight which I in turn used to figure out my daily calorie goal. Everyday I log on to the fitbit website and see how many calories I burned the day before...take the number of calories I ate off of myfitnesspal and am able to tell how much of a defecit I created. Has helped me find the range that seems to work for me :) If it is working properly than it is a great thing to have. But dont become crazy over it....use it to your advantage!
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    Is everyone's fitbit syncing properly? I walk in the am. with an incline (HRM tells me I've burned 460) when I put the calories in to MFP it's not syncing to give me my calories. This is only a problem for the past week or so...yesterday I added it to the fitbit website and it seemed fine. Today........the same thing!!
  • kyricus
    kyricus Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I use my fitbit to track my steps, and my sleep. I pay no attention whatever to the calorie adjustment MFP makes for it. I don't think it's accurate at all. Walking, unless done quickly, and for extended periods, really doesn't burn nearly as many calories as MFP and the fitbit web site say it does.

I find that my weight goes up or down depending upon how much, and how consistently, over and under my baseline calorie goal of 1800, regardless of how many additional calories fitbit says I can adjust it bye.
  • fatfrost
    fatfrost Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I've been using fitbit for a few months. I like it but don't think that it is necessarily super accurate. But my view is that these various tools are less about complete precision and more about just being mindful of the choices that we are making. Being more thoughtful about what one is putting in their mouth and how much physical activity one is getting is a helpful thing that helps drive better decision-making and ultimately a more healthy life-style.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I don't use FitBit to determine my calories, I use FitBit to track my activity. I set my calories based on the NROLFW and the Road Map guidelines and set my calories to somewhere in between those two suggestions. I control my calories and macros. Not MFP nor FitBit.

I like that I can see what FitBit "gauges" my activity to be at, but it's hard to measure weight lifting in terms of calories burned, so I don't. I use my FitBit to see how much of a slug I am in a day when I don't lift. I try to get 10k steps. I try to climb stairs. I try to get badges for activity.

I love my FitBit like woah, but it's not really my calories tool. It's my activities tool.

Hey!! me too :bigsmile: I love my zip. I really only want him to tell me how inactive I am so I know when to light a fire under my *kitten* :laugh:
  • grobekg
    grobekg Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If you don't think the fitbit is accurate, you might need to calibrate your stride length on the FITBIT site. If I remember correctly it is somewhere within your profile. Also, the there is an option in the FITBIT MFP integration to allow FITBIT to decrement calories as well as add them in the event you are not as active. You may want to check to see if this is enabled/disabled and play with those settings.
  • skeeterrose1
    skeeterrose1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've had my fitbit about 6 months I got it right after joining MPF I wasn't happy with MFP general active levels, mostly because I have a very active job and wanted to get a better understanding of what I was actually burning. After using the fitbit for a while I realized that I was burning a lot of calorie per day about 3000 a day. I was losing weight too fast with MFP . Sometimes more then a pound a day. Not good. MFP had my calorie at 1780 on the highly active. So for me the fitbit was more accurate giving me an additional 600- 1000 calories a day (depending on the day), don't get me wrong it's not prefect, If you use an elevator fitbit thinks it's flights of stairs climbed, and short trips in the car not driving fast it can register as steps. Also I take kickboxing and it underestimates the calorie burn for it because, it just can't be that accurate, so any hefty duty workouts I find recording it through MFP works best. If you think it's not working the people at fitbit are really good about replacements.
  • jmpilg23
    jmpilg23 Posts: 7
    Options
    The fitbit and MFP sync throughout the day. I do most of my workout in the morning, and MFP and fitbit take what calories you have burned and average that out throughout the day. AS the day goes on, and you burn more, that average goes up. So when I get home from work and sync again, I usually have a big jump in calories burned. The same thing happens after my evening workout. I have a huge jump at my later syncs.
  • leedebter
    leedebter Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm ditching mine too. I bough a HRM instead for my workouts.
  • placeboaddiction
    placeboaddiction Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Fitbit. One of the worst christmas gifts i've received.

I drive to work, take an elevator up my office. It calculates my driving as walking , and elevator as stairs. I have to go into fitbit, and log in all my driving and elevator/escalator experiences.. Too much work.