Morning Workouts

Options
I am going to try working out in the morning before work. Is it ok not to eat anything before working out, and then eating breakfast about 20-30 minutes after my workout? It's really the only way I can come up with. I have to get up extra early to be able to do a 30-minute workout, shower, get dressed and eat breakfast before leaving for work.

Replies

• questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I am going to try working out in the morning before work. Is it ok not to eat anything before working out, and then eating breakfast about 20-30 minutes after my workout? It's really the only way I can come up with. I have to get up extra early to be able to do a 30-minute workout, shower, get dressed and eat breakfast before leaving for work.

I frequently workout in the morning before having breakfast and it doesn't seem to be a problem for me. I would say that if your workouts are on the shorter side, like mine (~30 minutes) then, as long as you feel okay, you're okay. Now, if you were to embark on a 15 mile run without anything, that's a different story! I say fit in the workout and breakfast as best as you can and adjust as needed. A half a banana is a quick way to get a boost in the morning if you find that working out on a completely empty stomach doesn't work for you.
  • antiadipose
    antiadipose Posts: 447
    Options
    i only workout mornings. however i MUST have my coffee and some banana (usually half) and teaspoon of PB (i just started adding the PB)

its easy-digest .. i experience no cramps. BUT this allll depends on u.

a year ago i always had to have oatmeal or something before my run... try different things and see what works best for u.

this also depends on what ur 'workout' consists of.
  • RominaSullivan
    Options
    I eat a small banana before my morning workouts too and feel great! :-) gives me energy and I don't feel hungry at all until I'm done working out.
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I have more energy for the gym if I eat my brown rice, rice cake a banana and peanut butter.
  • XoXoCountryGalXoXo
    XoXoCountryGalXoXo Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I almost always do my workout right out of bed in the morning. I've found that while I'm sluggish at first, once I warm up I am completely okay! I am def going to try the advice given here and eat a little pb before and see what happens! :)
  • hamton
    hamton Posts: 245
    Options
    Working out early in the morning on an empty stomach is one the best way to burn body fat. I think a lot of bodybuilders do it to trim down fast. Be sure to get a very good big breakfast though. You need to jump start your metabolism after that beating. I would like to do it more often but it's such a beating. It's torture.
  • p1nkpr1ncess
    p1nkpr1ncess Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I workout every morning on an empty stomach, I was always brought up to think it burns fat more effectively as you have no food to burn instead. It also gives me a big wake up! Haha.

I usually have a protein shake straight after my workout then a morning snack as soon as I get to work.

It all depends what works for you though as everyone is different :)
    -x-x-
  • Jennwith2ns
    Jennwith2ns Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks!
  • donnaleecam
    Options
    I do about 45-60 minutes of exercise in the morning(walking, exercise bike, "easy" strength training) and then eat before I go to work. I am not really hungry at 5:15 or 5:30 and it works fine for me. Good luck!
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I work out almost every morning on an empty stomach. IMO, you should work out whenever it's convenient for you, don't worry about when you will get the maximum fat burning or whatever - as long as you are exercising you will lose weight and get fit.