BMR, TDEE, ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP............

Options
So, question regarding the whole "calculator" thing, and determining how many calories I should be eating per day, etc...

I went to fat2fitradio.com and went through all of the calculators to determine my TDEE. It was considerably higher than I expected, as was my body fat percentage lower than expected... I have been into fitness for years, so I know I am in good shape, but I have a recent weight gain (past year and a half) that is really bringing me down....my eating habits have sucked as of late and I am trying hard to bring it around.

Anyway, when I calculated my numbers, it asked me for my activity level as part of the equation. Does this mean that I should not be logging my daily workouts because they are already included as a part of my regular activity? I would have thought it counter-productive to aim for the same number of calories each day. But to add more to what I am already "supposed to" eat doesn't seem like a good plan. My workouts will put me well over 2,000 calories per day.

Between low-carb (at which I was a pathetic failure), low fat, eat-more-to-weigh-less and so on, I am officially confused beyond my own ability to figure out what the hell I am supposed to be doing. Help!!

Replies

• shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Bumping for hopefully someone on my list to see & help u out!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/10067-eat-train-progress- < I advise joining this group tho! They SO helpful.
  • thr33martins
    thr33martins Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    As usual, you come to my rescue... :)
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Some people have posted that they have a range of calories that they stay in between. They will eat at the lower end of that range on rest days and go up to the higher range on workout days. I custom set my calorie goal on mfp right at the middle of my range with the knowledge that some days I'll be 100 or so calories below or above the goal number. I'm sure you'll know which days you're more active and which days you're less active.

Eating at a constant calorie goal is OK, too. It all averages out.
  • jillybeanpuff
    jillybeanpuff Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I eat at my TDEE-25% and I eat that whether or not I exercise. It works for me and I haven't stalled my loss and I'm losing about a pound a week. It all depends on your body though, and what works for you. Good luck!
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Typically, no, you do not eat back your exercise calories when your calorie consumption is based off of TDEE (that be TDEE-20% or -10% etc). Whether you choose to log them is up to you. I don't log my exercise because it screws up my macros. If I'm not going to eat back the calories, I definitely don't want to increase my macros. It is all a personal preference. It probably took me a month to finally firgure out what worked best for me. Just play with your macros, calories, and exercise logging until you are comfortable with your day to day routine. I would say give each trial a week or so to see if it works for you.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    If you included your exercise when choosing your activity level, then NO, you shouldn't have to eat more on workout days.

That being said, I think you'll be okay as long as you are over your BMR and under your TDEE each day. If eating more on workout days makes you feel better, then you can certainly eat within a range (that falls between BMR and TDEE). Lower on non workout days, and higher on workout days. It's all personal preference.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/10067-eat-train-progress- < I advise joining this group tho! They SO helpful.

^^ YES, excellent group for advice from informed and successful people.
  • ademiter
    ademiter Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I eat at my TDEE-25% and I eat that whether or not I exercise. It works for me and I haven't stalled my loss and I'm losing about a pound a week. It all depends on your body though, and what works for you. Good luck!

I eat at my TDEE - 30% and I also eat that whether I exercise or not (and mind you I went up from 1200 calories after discovering the road map. I know the suggestion is to decrease the TDEE by 20% but that would put me at 1900 a day and I just thought that was a bit much. I've had great luck with the -30% (around 1650-1700) and my weight loss is still progressing!
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options

^^ YES, excellent group for advice from informed and successful people.

I also love this group! Highly recommend!
  • kimika23
    kimika23 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I eat at TDEE-15%.
  • thr33martins
    thr33martins Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I have joined the group that Shorty recommended and have started reading some of their insight. I appreciate the clarification provided here!!