How to add calories?

Options
Currently my TDEE and BMR state that I need around 2100 calories to lose 1 lb per week. My question is I eat a filling breakfast, lunch, and dinner and have 3 snacks per day and the calories usually only add up to around 1500-1700. How can I add in more calories, healthy calories?? Any suggestions?

ETA: I weigh 319. Could I have 1700 per day without putting my body into starvation mode?

Replies

• aziapatrick
    aziapatrick Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I opened my diary up so if someone could maybe help critique it?? Tell me how I could improve?
  • cathrynfay
    Options
    Adding things like peanut butter, avocado, olive oil, or a little butter to foods, or having a handful of walnuts or almonds can up calories pretty quickly.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising?
  • aziapatrick
    Options
    I walk once or twice a week for 15-20 minutes. But I usually don't add it on here.
  • Rivmage
    Rivmage Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    A glass of whole milk w/ protein powder - That should net you an extra 300 calories. A couple cups of chocolate milk. Nuts. Cheeses. A beer or two.

Scott
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    You tend to buy low carb or low fat "healthy" items. Stop doing that. Eat full fat yogurt or regular tortillas. Don't think of it as you're on a diet and can only eat "health" food. You need to eat under your calorie goal. Try to aim for mostly whole foods, lots of veggies and fruit, lean protein, but you can have treats as well. Fake food that is "diet" is not required (and usually doesn't taste very good).
  • mikeberthold
    mikeberthold Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Your breakfasts often look low. I'm usually low too but always have 2 pieces of toast, a bagel with light cream cheese or a bowl of cereal that equals around 280-320 calories. If I'm having peanut butter (rare treat) that goes up to the 380-400 range.

You're often at 220 or even less. That's 50-100 right there you can add and give you a bit more energy in the morning.

I usually build my evening snack around how many calories I've used vs how many I'm targetting that day. I like to keep my net total under 2000 even though I can go as high as 2100, and I usually end up around 1900. That means sometimes I get to have a bowl of chips or ice cream to get my cals up.

It's worked so far.
  • Sunka1
    Sunka1 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I think your diet looks good. I would only suggest that maybe you get the full fat versions of things. I would also try (if possible) to find some lower sodium sauces. Sodium is good but too much and you may hold onto extra water. So maybe the extra calories will come from full fat versions of dairy. Good luck.
  • RumpusP
    RumpusP Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest not using low fat and low carb foods since you're coming in under your goal on a regular basis. Plus add in some more higher-sugar fruits and healthy fats like others have mentioned: avocados and nuts are really great for that.
  • aziapatrick
    Options
    Your breakfasts often look low. I'm usually low too but always have 2 pieces of toast, a bagel with light cream cheese or a bowl of cereal that equals around 280-320 calories. If I'm having peanut butter (rare treat) that goes up to the 380-400 range.

You're often at 220 or even less. That's 50-100 right there you can add and give you a bit more energy in the morning.

I usually build my evening snack around how many calories I've used vs how many I'm targetting that day. I like to keep my net total under 2000 even though I can go as high as 2100, and I usually end up around 1900. That means sometimes I get to have a bowl of chips or ice cream to get my cals up.

It's worked so far.

I know! That has been the hardest part about dieting, making myself eat breakfast and not just gorging the rest of the day on fast food. For a while I kept thinking I'd just eat a granola bar and coffee but starting this morning I made time to make myself a bowl of oatmeal and added a tbsp of pb in it and a tsp of sugar. Not my favorite, but I plan on adjusting.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I would try full fat/ carb products like has been suggested, maybe increase exercise a little (more exercise usually makes me hungry). But other than that I wouldn't worry too much. Try to stick to TDEE- whatever % but as long as you are eating healthy, whole foods and feeling satisfied I think you are ok since you are getting 1700-1900 regularly.

*This is just my opinion, not based on any particular reasoning*