needs ideas for "irish" theme pot luck

Options

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I have a great idea. Don't Do Potluck. :sick:

everyone bringing food from all over town sitting in cars with foods getting at all the wrong temps.

use online paying service like paypal or propay to collect everyone's money and have one person order a caterer who's obligation it is to serve good food at the best temp at the right time. that's if your broke.

IF you're not broke, bailey's, o'douls, and shamrock shakes for days. oh and irish whiskey cheddar.

out of curiosity, why O'Doul's? You obviously not against alcohol with your inclusion of Bailey's.

whenever i have a party i like to have something for everyone. there is always inevitably that person who can't drink.
  • Mrder37
    Mrder37 Posts: 904
    Options
    Ok didn't wanna be a **** about it just a bit shocking were I'm from to see it hope you're day goes well
  • justmeg86
    justmeg86 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I wish booze was an option, I could bring in a large variety of Irish booze!!

Anyone have a fairly simple recipe for soda bread?
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I have a great idea. Don't Do Potluck. :sick:

everyone bringing food from all over town sitting in cars with foods getting at all the wrong temps.

use online paying service like paypal or propay to collect everyone's money and have one person order a caterer who's obligation it is to serve good food at the best temp at the right time. that's if your broke.

IF you're not broke, bailey's, o'douls, and shamrock shakes for days. oh and irish whiskey cheddar.

out of curiosity, why O'Doul's? You obviously not against alcohol with your inclusion of Bailey's.

whenever i have a party i like to have something for everyone. there is always inevitably that person who can't drink.

Ah, I see. Then please add some Guinness and/or whiskey to the list because Bailey's is rough =)
  • justmeg86
    justmeg86 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I saw a recipe for Reuben Dip on allrecipes.com that I'm going to try. Looks yummy!

I love Reuben's and I love dips! I will check it out :)
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Some of its ok all in good fun but the Black and Tan were a bunch of murdering *kitten*

Another cultural difference. I was confused as to why you thought that was offensive, until I saw your second post. I've never heard of the group you mentioned.

From wikipedia: Black and Tan is a drink made from a blend of pale ale and a dark beer such as a stout or porter, most often Guinness. Sometimes a pale lager is used instead of ale; this is usually called a half and half. Contrary to common North American belief, however, Black and Tan as a mixture of two beers is not a term commonly used in Ireland[1] due to the association with the Royal Irish Constabulary Reserve Force, nicknamed the Black and Tans.

We're using the first definition...

Well now you know.... It would effectively be like me having a dish called KKK for Kwanzaa. Sometimes a little education goes a long way.
  • CherylGardner
    CherylGardner Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Some of its ok all in good fun but the Black and Tan were a bunch of murdering *kitten*

Another cultural difference. I was confused as to why you thought that was offensive, until I saw your second post. I've never heard of the group you mentioned.

From wikipedia: Black and Tan is a drink made from a blend of pale ale and a dark beer such as a stout or porter, most often Guinness. Sometimes a pale lager is used instead of ale; this is usually called a half and half. Contrary to common North American belief, however, Black and Tan as a mixture of two beers is not a term commonly used in Ireland[1] due to the association with the Royal Irish Constabulary Reserve Force, nicknamed the Black and Tans.

Well now you know.... It would effectively be like me having a dish called KKK for Kwanzaa. Sometimes a little education goes a long way.

Which is why I looked it up upon seeing your posts. Unfortunately, it's impossible to know everything all the time that could possibly offend someone else. To us, it was just a brownie recipe using beer. It's not even named in reference to the group, it's called that due to the appearance of the two different beers being separated in the glass.

Now some of us americans know a little more today. thanks.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options

Which is why I looked it up upon seeing your posts. Unfortunately, it's impossible to know everything all the time that could possibly offend someone else. To us, it was just a brownie recipe using beer. It's not even named in reference to the group, it's called that due to the appearance of the two different beers being separated in the glass.

Now some of us americans know a little more today. thanks.

thebattle_zoom2.gif
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    have a bar...
  • Vintagesal
    Options
    Potato bread or scones of course!
  • KML617
    KML617 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Epicurious has a whole page of irish recipies right now! Check it out!
  • dcazll
    dcazll Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I live in n. ireland and ironically I don't celebrate st paddys day, but come ideas are.

spud bread,
    boxty,
    stew with beef
    spuds, meat and 2 veg with plenty of gravy,
    ulster fry,
    chinese (every irish person eats a chinese at least once a week, usually on a friday night)
    cowboy supper

is it any wonder most of us are overweight?
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    if you want to be authentic just boil everything.

bleh :)
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I live in n. ireland and ironically I don't celebrate st paddys day, but come ideas are.

spud bread,
    boxty,
    stew with beef
    spuds, meat and 2 veg with plenty of gravy,
    ulster fry,
    chinese (every irish person eats a chinese at least once a week, usually on a friday night)
    cowboy supper

is it any wonder most of us are overweight?

I take it you're not actually Irish and maybe this is just your family? I certainly don't have a Chinese once a week and Cowboy Supper? Nope. And Boxty is potato bread so spud bread and Boxty are the same thing.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    My traditional Irish meal is corned beef with cabbage, carrots, and potatoes. Sometimes I will make Colcannon which is mashed potatoes with cabbage or kale instead of the boiled potatoes. I will make soda bread to go with it. A meatless idea would be to make some kind of scone and serve with butter, jam and thickened cream. I have found some recipes for a Guiness brownie and Guiness cake that might work as well. You can also google Irish dishes to find other ideas that may not have meat. If you are doing this at work I don't think you want to be taking some of the alcoholic suggestions.
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    we had a St. Patrick's day potluck at work last year. I made mini chocolate cupcakes, light green icing, and 1/4 of a chocolate mint on top. It was a HUGE hit. Not the healthiest option, but super cute and great for portion control :)
  • MamaWeil2018
    MamaWeil2018 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    make a pizza (regular or cauliflower crust, whichever) and use green peppers to make 4 leaf clovers on top!
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    a couple i have made - not all are traditional - ok i think only one might be...lol: (PM me if you want the recipes - i didn't want to leave a crazy long message)
    Irish Potatoes if you want a snack
    Chocolate guinness cheesecake (kinda pricy though - $35-$40 before adding the Guinness)
    Forfar Bridies (my favorite)

other ideas
    Guiness Stew
    Corned Beef and Cabbage