Runners- what's your most memorable run?

Options
13»

Replies

• emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    The 5K I just ran with my wife.
  • bigphatcat
    bigphatcat Posts: 7,843 Member
    Options
    The Cops were chasing me for miles. I was getting exhausted. Luckily I passed by a Krispy Kreme and then I was safe
  • marinegirl92
    marinegirl92 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Camp Pendleton - Engineer Hill - love the juniper smells and the view at the top.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    It was only a 2 mile run, but I got to run the San Antonio Riverwalk on vacation a few weeks ago. I was running by myself, it was relatively early (for vacation, that is!) - about 8am. There was almost no one on the Riverwalk.....just me, a few other runners, and the maintenance staff doing some cleaning.
    It was so peaceful and so nice to sightsee a little without all the hustle and bustle of the crowds. And the thing that really made it memorable was the idea that about a year and a half ago, there was no way I could have run 2 miles at all. And I certainly wouldn't have tried it on vacation.
    I ran my 2 miles, celebrated my success over the past year, and then went sightseeing for the rest of the morning (probably walking another 2-3 miles. And I wasn't even sore). It was awesome!
  • kmayne
    kmayne Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Ragnar Adirondacks September 2012! Doing it again this year! :)
  • pandsmomCheryl
    pandsmomCheryl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    JoanB5 - loved that story....! OP: I only started running a year ago but have completed 6 5K's...my last one was a Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving - my PR of 26:45 but what was better was my mom ran it with me in 38...she's 62 - never too late to start!!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I love this thread. Hope it keeps going.

Pretty much all of my half marathons and long distance races are memorable. Some for how painful, others for other reasons.

Azdak - your Italy run sounds amazing. We went there on our honeymoon and I am so in love with the place.

My most memorable run was a leg of a relay race I ran last year (hoping to get a spot on a team this year) It was my second year running the race and its a favourite anyway. My leg was 15.42km starting at 5:46am. It was a fairly easy leg through the scenic river valley with a maximum elevation of 30m.
    There is really no way to describe my leg. It was one of those early morning runs where you just feel priviledged just to be there. It was a cool clear morning with the sun rising over the mountains and the fog was hanging over the river valley. Temperature was a perfect for a run. Really, really amazing. There was a lot of downhill, with a few short easy climbs at the end.
    My goal had been to make the mat which requires you to run average pace of 9:30 minute mile, pretty much pushing it for me (they only allot so much time for each leg, then the timing mat moves on to the next one) and beat one of the guys in my running club (it was a friendly rivalry).
    My iphone was dying so I couldnt use it for pace, only had a watch to rely on. There is a water stop at the 5k mark of every leg, after 10k your team can give you support and a 1k to the finish line. These are the only indicators of distance due to the logistics of the race. I felt amazing at the beginning, and with a lot of downhill I went out pretty hard. I was feeling good, enjoying the run so when I hit the water stop and saw my time at 30:05 I was pretty upset thinking I wouldn't make the mat. When my husband drove by and I told him I didn't think I was making the mat he told me the water stop was at 6k. I half believed him, half thought he was saying that to make me feel better, so for the next 5 I pushed it hard. The last 5 hurt and I know I slowed. When I hit 4k left, I kept figuring the time, like if I run at this pace, I'll still make it. Someone forgot to put out the "1km to go" sign. I knew I was close but not sure how close until I could hear the cheering at the finish line. I love that sound and was so excited to know I was going to make it. Turns out I didn't "just" make it, I ended up finishing just under 1:22 for an average pace of 8:35 minute per mile, an insane pace for me for a 5k let alone 15k. I ran the numbers through two different pace calculators more than once to be sure.

Oh and I beat my friend, although this year he is way ahead of me.
  • grobekg
    grobekg Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    2009 Indy Mini-Marathon. It was my first half marathon and I finished in the goal time I had set for myself. I just remember the sense of accomplishment as I crossed the finish line. My wife and sister also ran it together so we had a good time after the race, too.
  • LMurrieta540
    Options
    Mine would be my first Marathon Oct 2012. It was a Tri-State. I had a few friends on the course but they had all ran the distance before and unlike them I cruise control. Well the first 1/2 was great I was right on schedule with my run/walk. I don't know what happen at the 1/2 way point but I was done, I wanted to give up over and over again, but I had to keep reminding myself of all my wonderful husband and friends waiting for me at the finish line and most importantly I had to remind myself that Jesus never gave up on me so why should I give up on myself (I was saved June 2012) I kept repeating Phip 4:13. I was then invited by a wonderful couple who was also doing the run/walk also to finish with them, What made it so special was seeing my husband coming to me right around mile 26 and finishing with me and trying to get to the finish line before I did so he could be the first to hug me and of course catch me and telling me how proud he was of me. The tri-state marathon made it special for everyone that was running a Marathon for the first time, they made our numbers a different color and we even got a first timer charm on our medal as well. I was surrounder by great friends and covered in hugs and kisses. I felt on top of the world when I finished, I had even finished under my goal time of 6hrs, I finished in 5hrs and 40 mins
  • cedder1
    cedder1 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Actually it is my 8.1 mile run last Sunday. I am training for my first 1/2 marathon and that is the longest I have ever run in my life and I got to do it with my hubby (who might join me in the 1/2 by the way!) It was great......
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    There are so many for me..

The first time I ran 2 miles without stopping, I text my husband and told him :drinker:

My first 5k, I was so worried that I couldn't run the whole thing, I refused to let my husband/ kids go. I did run it all. Time was 31 mins :)

My last 5k last year. It was a really hilly one and my time was 26 something but I got 3rd place in my age group. I run with my brother and we joked that none of the ladies that I knew wanted to talk to me cuz I kicked there butt!!!!

My first half, I really want to get under that 2 hr mark, I knew it would be close though from my training. When I heard RunKeeper go off at mile 12 and it gave me my time, I cried! Cried because I remember the worse pain and took a bend to see a huge hill. I told the nasty thoughts to go away and I dug deep. My time was 1:58. My bro was at the finish line and I gave him a huge hug through tears.

My 2nd half because it was on my favorite trail and I beat my first PR with 1:57.

Btw...I love this tread!