needs ideas for "irish" theme pot luck

Options

Replies

• dcazll
    dcazll Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I live in n. ireland and ironically I don't celebrate st paddys day, but come ideas are.

spud bread,
    boxty,
    stew with beef
    spuds, meat and 2 veg with plenty of gravy,
    ulster fry,
    chinese (every irish person eats a chinese at least once a week, usually on a friday night)
    cowboy supper

is it any wonder most of us are overweight?

I take it you're not actually Irish and maybe this is just your family? I certainly don't have a Chinese once a week and Cowboy Supper? Nope. And Boxty is potato bread so spud bread and Boxty are the same thing.

No, I'm the same but (presuming you live here too) you've prob seen how busy the chinese's and chippys are at the week end.

Is boxty not made with potatoes and eggs? The two taste different so there must be some differences in the ingredients.

Not Irish, British, Northern Irish, what ever you want to call it.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Boiled potatoes,
    Mashed potatoes,
    Chips,
    Potato cakes...

Irish mixed grill....:bigsmile:
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I live in n. ireland and ironically I don't celebrate st paddys day, but come ideas are.

spud bread,
    boxty,
    stew with beef
    spuds, meat and 2 veg with plenty of gravy,
    ulster fry,
    chinese (every irish person eats a chinese at least once a week, usually on a friday night)
    cowboy supper

is it any wonder most of us are overweight?

I take it you're not actually Irish and maybe this is just your family? I certainly don't have a Chinese once a week and Cowboy Supper? Nope. And Boxty is potato bread so spud bread and Boxty are the same thing.

No, I'm the same but (presuming you live here too) you've prob seen how busy the chinese's and chippys are at the week end.

Is boxty not made with potatoes and eggs? The two taste different so there must be some differences in the ingredients.

Not Irish, British, Northern Irish, what ever you want to call it.

I'm Irish and living in Ireland which is an island and If you were born anywhere on this island of Ireland you're Irish too.
  • SteveJWatson
    Options
    I'm Irish and living in Ireland which is an island and If you were born anywhere on this island of Ireland you're Irish too.

Can open.........worms everywhere........
  • ShreddedTweet
    Options

Pfft!!! I know, I know....I tried to stop myself, just couldn't be arsed with that 'I'm British' *kitten*. The Argentinians consider themselves Argentinian, the Aussies never said they were British, or the Indians.... it's just so odd to me. *end rant*
  • lavender91
    Options
    Black and Tan Brownies? Really?

Colcannon is yum.

ETA: I can count on one hand the number of chinese takeaways I've had in the last five years. Just sayin'
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options

Pfft!!! I know, I know....I tried to stop myself, just couldn't be arsed with that 'I'm British' *kitten*. The Argentinians consider themselves Argentinian, the Aussies never said they were British, or the Indians.... it's just so odd to me. *end rant*

Why would the Argentinians consider to call themselves anything but Argentine? Except for maybe Spanish .....

/runs away from Falkland mess.
  • dcazll
    dcazll Posts: 65 Member
    Options

I agree, lets just forget it. We have different opinions and we're never going to agree, so lets just agree to differ. :ohwell:
  • ShreddedTweet
    Options
    Agreed, must remember not to get political on MFP!!!! *tries hard*
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Most people here in the US have no idea why they wear green on St Patrick's day, what the orange order is, who Michael Collins was, the history of Sinn Fein and why we call a certain drink black and tans. Don't get started with the car bombs (drink I mean)..

Point is, I don't think anyone means to be offensive.
  • ShreddedTweet
    Options
    Most people here in the US have no idea why they wear green on St Patrick's day, what the orange order is, who Michael Collins was, the history of Sinn Fein and why we call a certain drink black and tans. Don't get started with the car bombs (drink I mean)..

Oh sure I get it but not meaning to be offensive doesn't always equal not being offensive. People ought to learn, that's all! None of it is secret stuff, we had to learn about American political history in school... Funny they don't teach about our history in American schools, there is more than one country/continent in the world after all!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

nobody does. Americans love any holiday where we can drink. That's really all there is to it.
  • ShreddedTweet
    Options

nobody does. Americans love any holiday where we can drink. That's really all there is to it.

I'm not sure that's anything to be proud of.
  • ajohnson1567
    ajohnson1567 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    potato pankcakes are the best!!! :)
  • SteveJWatson
    Options

You'd think, given the sheer volume of Irish emmigration to the states you'd learn about Ireland in school. My family are weird, they went in the other direction, although I wont pretend there isn't a large emmigre population in the town that they chose to settle in (Manchester). You do have to search out Irish history living in England, but I find this less surprising.

As for holidays where you can drink...Over here thats all of them and "Friday" counts as a holiday in this case.
  • Nauti_Buoy
    Nauti_Buoy Posts: 135
    Options
    Guiness..... yes lots of guiness, thats when the conversation starts getting really good.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options

You'd think, given the sheer volume of Irish emmigration to the states you'd learn about Ireland in school. My family are weird, they went in the other direction, although I wont pretend there isn't a large emmigre population in the town that they chose to settle in (Manchester). You do have to search out Irish history living in England, but I find this less surprising.

As for holidays where you can drink...Over here thats all of them and "Friday" counts as a holiday in this case.

I come from a large Irish American family in the PA coal region. Most of the history lessons have been focused on what happened after they arrived in America. I only started looking into Irish history when I was a child because I moved to the UK and was summarily hated for my last name.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Lucky charm squares

P1120887.jpg

Hell to the Yeah!!!

1233445870_ae19b02.gif
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Irish themed dish. Throw a bunch of *kitten* in a pot, at cabbage, boil the *kitten* out of it until it looks like a grey pudding, then serve. No seasoning needed. Enjoy!:drinker: :bigsmile: :laugh:
  • Fit147
    Fit147 Posts: 209 Member
    Options