How can I eat almost 1800 calories and still feel hungry?

Options
jett254
jett254 Posts: 64 Member
Is it a sign that I'm not eating the right things? I've increased my calories but still am thinking about food all of the time. My diary is open. Looking for advice or thoughts. I have good willpower but if I can avoid this, I would obviously prefer it. I'm on maintenance.

Edited to add - I'm 5'1'' and weight 99 lbs.

Thanks!

Replies

• LisaMarie8713
    Options
    Your goal is 2300 calories, you are active... you burn it off! Your metabolism is burning the food you eat to give you energy for all the activities you do. EAT MORE! the foods you choose are healthy and well rounded... Needless to say, enjoy it! You probably need to add 1/2 meals or snacks more through your day to keep your energy levels up and stave off the hunger pains...
  • ojeissac
    ojeissac Posts: 1
    Options
    I noticed that you go way over on Sodium every day. Maybe that might have something to do with it? You should try taking a metabolism quiz. If you are a balanced oxidizer, you are supposed to have equal parts fat, protein, and carbs for each meal and snack. This might make you feel more satisfied.
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Yes, because you are eating 1800ish, but you are burning 500-600, so you are really only consuming 1300 or less. Your fats are also consistently low, throw some good nuts in there, and that'll help cals and fats. Eat more! :)
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    You are really active so maybe eat a little more. I also think I would add more fat, maybe eat full fat cheese and PB. Add some olive oil in too.
  • daxazo
    daxazo Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Maybe try trading some of your carbs for healthy fats.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Barring any health issues that could cause increased appetite...If you're on maintenance, maybe try eating into your exercise calories? I looked at a few days of your diary, lots of good choices and great job on protein so I don't have a lot of suggestions. Maybe eat more earlier in the day when you know you're going to have a big workout? Sorry I can't help more.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Did you up your calories with finding out your tdee?
    Maybe you could also eat more fat, that keeps you fuller than some white carbs. Also are you eating wholemeal sandwiches or the white kind?
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Maybe try adding some more healthy fats like avacado? You definitely stay low on fat, sometimes those healthy fats can help satiate hunger.

Or, it could be like what LisaMarie said, you could just be burning it off since you are very active.
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I agree with LIsaMarie. Consider eating "mini-meals" throughout the day with each meal consisting of a protein and a complex carb. Eat 6 mini-meals of at least 300 calories each. That way you're eating every 3 hours or so. If you're going out to dinner, skip one and double up on dinner. Drink lots of water.

You're in maintenance mode now, right? So you need to eat back all your exercise calories to maintain your weight. You're under 100 pounds so you don't want to lose any more.
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Too many carbs; not enough fat. Check out marksdailyapple.com
  • mikegreiner
    mikegreiner Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I looked through a few days of your food diary and my two impressions were 1) that's a very small breakfast, and 2) you're burning quite a few calories via exercise. Your net calories on those days was in the 1,100 neighborhood, which even for a petite person may leave you close to or under your BMR. I'm no expert, but you might try a bigger breakfast w/some protein/fat to help you feel full longer, and then I'd agree w/LisaMarie8713 -- go ahead and eat a few hundred more calories. You can always keep an eye on your weight for a couple weeks to make sure it stays where you want.

Oh, and one last thought -- water. That's my "trick" when I'm feeling hungrier than I think I should. Knock down a glass of water when you're hungry or before a meal and that can bring the hunger down a bit. Good luck!
  • BL_Coleman
    BL_Coleman Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Why did you set your goal at 2300? Is that what it will take to maintain your current weight? If so eat more! Especially in the morning try a complex carboyhdrate ( bread, pasta, protein) Something that will take your body longer to process and make you feel full longer. I would be concerned with what you are eating now just b/c you might lose weight and although your weight is fine currently if you continue to lose it could/would be bad. If you are active you have to eat more just to stay your current weight. :drinker:
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    First if all - what a gorgeous diary - love seeing people that feed themselves well!

It could be that you are not eating enough, or it might just be the split of your macro's

First thing I would do is make sure you understand your TDEE, and that your 1800 is actually appropriate for the amount of exercise you do.

Secondly you might want to look at changing your macro's slightly....what works for me is making protein and fat higher, and carbs a bit lower, so that might be an option....

Protein and fat satiates the body a lot better than carbs, so by changing the macro splits slightly my body is much happier.....

I am not saying give up your carbs, but maybe bring them down to about 200g per day - and eating more protein and healthy fats like nuts, nut butters, avocado, olives or salmon
  • jett254
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all of the amazing replies and support. I did calculate my TDEE and was basing my 1750-1800 goal on that. I have a Bodymedia fit which I got for exactly this reason - because I was still hungry and wanted to make sure I was eating enough. On days I workout, it tells me I burn about 2100-2200 calories, but I was concerned about going much higher than 1750-1800 calories to account for the error on labels, inaccurate measuring etc.....was trying to give myself a little wiggle room.

Also, the "goal" isn't 100% accurate on my diary because I log my exercise and also sync the bodymedia fit. So that's why I go based on the 1800, right?

I don't do a lot of starchy carbs but I do a ton of veggies because psychologically, I like seeing the volume on my plate so I'd rather have a big bowl of broccoli vs. a small one of rice. But I do see that my fats are low most days - which isn't necessarily intentional, but more a factor of the volume preference. I hate being hungry and thinking about food so much, but I'm not super hungry, just a little hungry....

It sounds like perhaps I need to up the calories a little more.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    In addition to the things people have said above, I find that I end up hungry if I'm missing a food group. Like, if I've eaten a lot of food but not enough protein or not enough carbs...or even fats. Once I chow down on a chicken breast or a potato or whatever I'm missing, I'm set.
  • jett254
    Options
    It definitely sounds like I might feel fuller with the protein and fats, but how do you get over the psychological aspect of it. I look at a small handful of nuts or using a tsp of oil vs. having an entire bag of broccoli florets --- and I always choose the broccoli!
  • maddmaddie
    maddmaddie Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    There are two girls in my class who eat every 3 hours, workout every day, and they ALWAYS complain how they are hungry all the time and how they want to lose weight.

I skip breakfast, eat lunch and dinner and only consume 1200 calories or less, I workout every day and I'm never hungry....perhaps you're eating too much? (I'm not saying you should eat 1200 calories like me, but maybe decrease it a little or maybe don't eat ALL the time.)

Just my observation and my own experience. Play with your caloric intake and find out what works for you.
  • Woofkaz4
    Woofkaz4 Posts: 8
    Options
    It could be. Just make sure you are eating more protein and high fiber foods. Lean meats and lots of fruits and vegetables. They say sometimes we think were hungry and we are actually thirsty. So try more water as well. There are days that I am more hungry than others, so I just increase protein or water.
  • jett254
    Options
    I looked through a few days of your food diary and my two impressions were 1) that's a very small breakfast, and 2) you're burning quite a few calories via exercise. Your net calories on those days was in the 1,100 neighborhood, which even for a petite person may leave you close to or under your BMR. I'm no expert, but you might try a bigger breakfast w/some protein/fat to help you feel full longer, and then I'd agree w/LisaMarie8713 -- go ahead and eat a few hundred more calories. You can always keep an eye on your weight for a couple weeks to make sure it stays where you want.

Oh, and one last thought -- water. That's my "trick" when I'm feeling hungrier than I think I should. Knock down a glass of water when you're hungry or before a meal and that can bring the hunger down a bit. Good luck!

Thanks! I actually drink a *ton* of water. In terms of breakfast, I find that I tend to bank my calories during the day so that I can have a lot to eat in the evening. Again, I think it is a mental thing.....
  • jett254
    Options
    There are two girls in my class who eat every 3 hours, workout every day, and they ALWAYS complain how they are hungry all the time and how they want to lose weight.

I skip breakfast, eat lunch and dinner and only consume 1200 calories or less, I workout every day and I'm never hungry....perhaps you're eating too much? (I'm not saying you should eat 1200 calories like me, but maybe decrease it a little or maybe don't eat ALL the time.)

Just my observation and my own experience. Play with your caloric intake and find out what works for you.

I started on 1200 calories and lost to my goal weight (18 lbs), increased to 1350 for a few months, then to 1550 for a few months and now I'm at 1750 calories. I definitely don't want to go back!