Sleep loss

Options
This is more along the lines of SUPPORT rather than Motivation...

Quick question for those 24 and older...
After turning 24 did you find you lost sleep at night? I've woken up in the middle of the night a couple times for the past week. Like just flat out "That's enough sleep! I'm Awake now!" not "something woke me up"... My clock seems fast or something... It's not even like "I have to pee! wake up!" More like if I was to wake up at my normal wake up time... except it's like 2 in the morning.

No I'm not drinking coffee before bed, no I'm not doing really anything before bed except watching the Food Network...
I go to bed between 11-12 and used to wake up at 7:30am... Now I go to bed at 11-12 and wake up at 2am, 4am, 6am, and 7:30am...

Replies

• Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    It's easier in your thirties. This just part of mid to late twenties Ive found. for me it started at 25.
  • jennmodugno
    jennmodugno Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I dunno. I had my first child when I was 23, so I suppose when I hit 24-25-ish she was really just beginning to sleep through the night, and I was a ROCK, catching up on my sleep, haha. I'd sleep 12 hours a night sometimes. My husband thought I was crazy. I'm 26 now, but I'm also on an antidepressant that limits my sleep ability, so I can't really say how I might be if I were "normal."
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    If you think it's bad now, just wait till the menopause......you'll soon forget what a decent night's sleep is!!!
  • grillingirl
    grillingirl Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Ug...just wait until you've gone through menopause. I haven't slept through the night now for about a year. But since I've been on a mission to balance my hormones and lose weight and eat right and exercise daily, it's gotten better. I used to wake up between 6-8 times a night, and now it's about 2-4 times a night, although I often have about a 1 hour period in the middle of the night that I'm wide awake. Oh well...I actually feel pretty good these days!!!
  • rubberbiscuit
    Options
    One possibility is sleep apnea. Do you wake up with headaches or gasping for air? Has anyone told you that you snore?
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    One possibility is sleep apnea. Do you wake up with headaches or gasping for air? Has anyone told you that you snore?

You should look into this.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    22 with surgical menopause.

1 word. Melatonin.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Huh...never put 2 & 2 together but I definitely lost a lot of sleep in my 20's. However, it was usually due to stress from work or my relationship.

A few thoughts...

One, drinking caffeine right before you go to bed may have nothing to do with it. I'm very caffeine sensitive and can't have it past noon or I'll be up half the night. If you're having something caffeinated in the afternoon, try cutting that out and see if it helps.

Two, are you thinking about something and therefore can't relax and get back to sleep? If so, keep a pad of paper or your cell phone handy. Jot down whatever it is then you know you can take care of it in the morning and your mind can let it go and relax.

And finally, do you try to get up and pee even if it doesn't feel like you have to? Sometimes when I've had a high sodium meal, I don't have that pressure but if I go to the bathroom, there's still plenty there. Make sure you're drinking plenty of water.

While I've never tried it, I've heard melatonin works wonders.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Agree, melatonin has worked wonders for me. It helps me sleep better rather than longer.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options

You should look into this.

I don't snore, my husband does... Only thing I do is talk in my sleep about being a pilot (which I'm not! lol) I never wake up with headaches or gasping so it's not that, but thank you for that concern.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I feel pretty rested so I'm not worried yet, but if it becomes a problem I'll look into melatonin supplements.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    That's utterly normal to me, and I am supported by SCIENCE! (I typically go to bed with my toddler, do some chores at 2:00 in the morning, and then go back to bed for a while.)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16964783
  • Clare0116
    Clare0116 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Is someone you know in the spirit world? Seriously, this is often how they try to get your attention. I often hear late night music but not played by any of my neighbours and my doorbell is rung in the middle of the night/ early morning if either of my cats is waiting to come in after going out hunting. Say hello and ask them to leave you a sign. :smile: