Depression getting in the way

Options
Does anyone else have depression get in the way of progress? I can stay on track while I'm feeling good and then all of a sudden I am a mess for days. I'm on day 5 of feeling awful and I hope I will pull myself out of it soon. Does anyone have any helpful advice? Maybe how you pull yourself out of it or how you prevent it from happening? Do you stay on track or let yourself fall off for a few days?

Replies

• krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I used to completely let it derail me and I'd let my failure at eating well give me an excuse to become further depressed. I've now worked really hard at changing my mindset and I reframe things. Hard to do and it's taken a lot of work. I have also found that with running (my exercise of choice) that I'm depressed much less often than before. I have a specific set of goals that means I have to follow some training plans and I'm hell bent on meeting them so on my worse days I'm still trying to move. Now, it doesn't always work but in addition I don't actually have any junk food in my house because I have no willpower.
  • Sunka1
    Sunka1 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    It's a good question. I think we are all different. I have had to give up coffee (which I would not wish on anyone) because it was just somehow depleting me and leaving me really low. Since giving up coffee, I do not get as low as I used to. Now at least I can get to the gym most days even when I feel down. I still drink lots of green tea though and do not suffer the same drain as from coffee. ALso, be sure you are getting enough fat and protein. Once I discovered not to be afraid of fat, it changed my world. I think our brains are something like 70% fat! Gotta feed that brain to stay happy. Good luck.
  • laurenc42
    laurenc42 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Any movement helps me. Even when i really don't want to. Even if i sit down often just to regroup. I come out sooner. I've had depression issues a long time. I've been in the hospital, forcing myself to move helps more then any meds. And sometimes it takes everything I have to force it, but it works.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I do sometimes. I get that oh-so-wonderful feelings of despair, anxiety, and general mayhem wash over me and the last thing I want to do is exercise or focus on eating. I usually tough through and jsut go through the motions at that point until I can right the ship. I know the exercise helps me a lot.

Good luck.
  • Browneyedbeff
    Browneyedbeff Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    YES! The best thing to do is just to make yourself exercise. You will feel better, because the exercise will get the endorphins in your brain going and lift your mood. I know it's easier said than done when you are experiencing low energy and other depressive symptoms.Surround yourself with supportive people who will hold you accountable to get your exercise done as well.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I'm bipolar II. I have found that since getting into a regular workout routine I have been much better able to manage my low swings. The trick is to make it a part of your daily routine, just like showering, going to work, etc. It's my JOB to get that workout in, regardless of how I may feel. You may find that you feel a bit better if you get some exercise.
  • anlu37
    anlu37 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Depression has gotten in the way many times for me. I have figured out what the beginning signs are for me and I IMMEDIATELY go work out as hard and long as I have time for. If I wait too long, then it gets harder and harder to be motivated to get up and exercise. The sooner I can realize what's going on and do something constructive about it, the better off I am.

At first it was hard for my family when I would just have to disappear for a few hours at the drop of a hat. Now they realize it's much easier to deal with that than it is to deal with wading through the funk I create when I am feeling down.

When we're feeling down, sometimes it's easier to just try to ignore how we're feeling. I've found that while it is less painful to think about how sad I am, it is more productive to really pay attention so that I can act positively and try to turn things around.

I was in a foul mood Sunday. That's one of the signs for me. I was super short tempered. So I went up and down 50 stair cases and walked 4.5 miles. It was divine. Since, I've had a productive week and been in a better mood.
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Habits help me through my episodes.

I think having lost a lot of weight helps though I was never depressed "about" my weight... I think just being in better physical condition helps me avoid the episodes better.

Also exercise! I find that if I go a few days without stretching and strength training I will find myself feeling funky... but if I start the day with a 30-minute session of circuit work the endorphins will kick in a bit later and I'll be lively and hopeful.

I've been on Paxil 3 times in the last 10 years, each time for a few months. I haven't needed it now for a while and hope never to again, though I won't rule it out if necessary.
  • javajinny
    javajinny Posts: 78
    Options
    Just making myself exercise. Sometimes I do take that day or two to just sit on the couch and watch TV or read, really wallowing in the depression. But thankfully I HAVE to go to the gym every Tues and Thurs because 6 of my besties will be there and I will hear if if I don't go. So getting moving for me is the best way to pull myself out of the pit, and having people who make sure I get moving helps me to get moving when I really just want to eat Oreos and stay in bed. Since I'm on a regular exercise routine, the depression doesn't get ahold of me like it used to. Best wishes to you, hun.
  • jenniferwren
    Options
    Hard one, I get down if I don't do any exercise and atm that only consists of walking for an hour in the morning and half an hour minimum in the afternoon, I think getting outside under the sky is a big lifter of moods, I rarely come back full of the fury I went out the door with.
    I also make myself get up and do stuff in 15 minute bursts, put the cooker timer on! And if I go over 15 mins and carry on with housework or whatever, great :smile:
    I also realised that depression does not define who I am, it's just how I feel and that feeling will pass and it will pass quicker if you get up and do something xxxx
  • dramallamaduck
    dramallamaduck Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I used to let my depression get in the way. I recently went to see my doctor about getting on an antidepressant and he gave me a perscription for 20mg of Prozac. It worked a little, but not as well as I expected. I went back after a month and told him what was going on. He upped my dosage to 40mg and I'm feeling TONS better. I have more energy, I'm happier, and I'm more motivated to get off my bum and work out.

Honestly, I would not make it though all of this without the medication. It makes a huge difference.
  • jljshoe1979
    jljshoe1979 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I crash sometimes too...it's not just not working out, it's wanting to sit around and do nothing. Then feeling guilty/bad because I did nothing. If you can make yourself get up and go workout that's great, but sometimes it takes babysteps to make us feel better. This may sound a little silly, but have you showered today or gotten dressed in something more than "bummy" clothes or fixed your hair? If not, try it and add a little makeup, perfume and/or moisturizer, even if you aren't going out - this is just for you because your worth it. Next, try getting a glass of water. Clean water is such a blessing that many people don't have in the world (please focus on this thought as your drink your water). Have you eaten something healthy today - baby carrots, an apple? If not, go get a small, good for you snack - even a little peanut butter on crackers is good. Now, even if you don't feel like it, go look in the mirror and smile at yourself. Finally, reach out to someone positive - a phone call, a text, come back on here. Make sure to get a good night's sleep and tomorrow I hope you will feel better. :smile:
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Muscle through it like it's your only job. The work-out part at least. I find that I come out of a funk much faster and sink much lower if I maintain ALL my routines. Who I hang with, what I eat, when and how hard I work out, and whether or not I go to work. Gut it out if you have to, but even one 30 minute workout will make you feel a bit better once you get that hit of endorphins your brain needs.
  • Timeforme714
    Timeforme714 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input. It sounds like most of you use routine and exercise to get you through. I did exercise last night and thought it helped, but then earlier today I went right back into my slump. Maybe exercising again tonight will help :)
  • Timeforme714
    Options
    If anyone who posted on here would like to be friends that would be great! :)
  • Timeforme714
    Options
    I crash sometimes too...it's not just not working out, it's wanting to sit around and do nothing. Then feeling guilty/bad because I did nothing. If you can make yourself get up and go workout that's great, but sometimes it takes babysteps to make us feel better. This may sound a little silly, but have you showered today or gotten dressed in something more than "bummy" clothes or fixed your hair? If not, try it and add a little makeup, perfume and/or moisturizer, even if you aren't going out - this is just for you because your worth it. Next, try getting a glass of water. Clean water is such a blessing that many people don't have in the world (please focus on this thought as your drink your water). Have you eaten something healthy today - baby carrots, an apple? If not, go get a small, good for you snack - even a little peanut butter on crackers is good. Now, even if you don't feel like it, go look in the mirror and smile at yourself. Finally, reach out to someone positive - a phone call, a text, come back on here. Make sure to get a good night's sleep and tomorrow I hope you will feel better. :smile:

I found your post helpful - thank you :) I think I need to stop and appreciate the little things.
  • Stephanie_Jean
    Stephanie_Jean Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I really appreciated reading through these posts...there was a lot of wisdom in them. I fight this, too, and I think exercising outside is really helpful, even when it is cold. I get happy when I see little squirrels hanging around, and birds in the sky, or a beautiful sunset. Getting on the phone with my friend also helps or posting on here. I exercise every day and feel much worse when I don't. I still suffer from depression, even with the exercise, but I'm sure it would be terrible if I didn't exercise.

I have heard that deficiencies in Vitamin B (all of the B vitamins), Omega 3 and Vitamin D (sunshine vitamin) can contribute to depression. However, I never stay motivated to take these every day! LOL I hear it takes weeks for them to go into effect. Another supplement that HAS helped me, especially in the morning is SAM-E. It's expensive, though, and you have to take it on an empty stomach, I believe.

Good luck! I'm going to add you as a friend and maybe we can bring each other up when we are feeling bad. :smile:
  • scarlette2358
    scarlette2358 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Whenever I am having a terrible day I make tea out of the loose herb St. John's Wort. It is a natural depression eliminator, but be careful b/c it can interfere with some medications like birth control. Sometimes taking a nap helps me, rest is important and you're spending time resting rather than eating (which I'm horrible about when I'm feeling anxious).
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with depression most of my life. Up until a couple years ago it was ignored and untreated. It damn near killed me. I am lucky, I survived and found the help I needed. Cognitive therapy and the medication that works for me helped me get somewhat balanced. It's been a long road. Some of the things that work for me when I feel like staying in bed did I die;

happy music that I enjoy
    meditation
    thinking about what I will be able to do once I'm at a healthy weight again
    puppies and babies

I still have issues almost every day. I can feel the constant tug of depression trying to pull me down. I refuse to let it. I think the key is to find a reason and hold onto it. Kind of like Peter Pan and happy thoughts, Find your happy thought and use it. When you do, you'll be able to fly too.
  • jljshoe1979
    jljshoe1979 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah!!! You got it, sister :happy: Also, I would like to be friends and since I'm new here, you are going to be my first...now, I gotta go do the "gotta new friend dance, woohoo!"