Marathon..first one. What to expect?

Options
Hello all!:flowerforyou: I will be shooting for a marathon in October 2013. I have done several 5k's, and 10k's and I completed a half marathon two years ago. My goal is to finish. I will be starting my training using Hal Higdon's Beginner Novice Supreme 30 week training program this week.
What was your experience with your first marathon? Did anyone follow this program and if so how did it work out for you?:smile:

Replies

• stmcfred
    stmcfred Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I ran my first marathon in Oct. 2012. My goal was to finish as well. I followed the Novice 1. Though I admit I didn't stick with my training. I'm a photographer and fall is incredibly busy for me so I just didn't have time from Sept. on. I skipped a lot of my short runs but always did the long runs. My biggest advice is to get your mileage in. Also, find out what they are supplying at the marathon (gu's) and train using them. They help.

I finished with a 5:15:51. Not impressive (though I had only started running in April '12) but I finished and that's what mattered to me.

Do you have any friends running with you? On your long runs it gets really boring if you don't have someone there with you. And it's hard to get motivated running 20 miles by yourself.

Good luck!
  • domino38
    domino38 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Small world..I am a photographer as well..only as a hobby though. I think that is awesome that you finished it! I have a few friends that run but our schedules are different. When I trained for the half I primarily ran alone..in fact most of the time I run by myself or with my dog.
    I have never done much over 13 miles at one time and that was a while ago so I wanted to choose one that was a little ways off so I can start off slow and gradually move up without any injury...I guess that is my biggest fear is doing too much and getting injured.
    My plan is to do the Atlantic City Marathon which is the same place I did the half and there are plenty of aid stations along the way. I do remember towards the end taking a cup of Gatorade and it made me feel a tad queasy but that feeling passed.
    Thanks for your story! That is really something to be proud of...do you plan on doing another? :smile:
  • stmcfred
    stmcfred Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I'll probably do another marathon not sure when though. I'm doing another half in April (this will be my 4th half)
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I'm just getting back into running (5k next weekend) but about 13 years and 60 lbs ago I ran the Boston Marathon in 5:11. I was on pace for about a 4:40 finish when my calves decided they'd had enough at the top of Heartbreak Hill. A fairly common occurence I'm told. Surprisingly having BC coeds massaging your legs doesn't feel nearly as good as it should after you've run 21 miles.

Boston is a notoriously difficult course with the first 17 miles trending downwards followed by four miles going up (Heartbreak Hill) and the rest trending downwards again.

My advice would be to look at the course you are running. If it's hilly, make sure you include hill training in your program. When I ran Boston we'd run the course in reverse, starting at the base of HH. We would run 8 miles then do repeats on HB hill to try to simulate running hills while tired. It helped a bit but not as much as we hoped.

I just took a look at your course. Looks like it's flat as a board, so you might want to look at doing some speed workouts as opposed to hill ones.

Good luck, and remember that when you hit mile 20 you are half-way done.

And as Fred said, do the miles. Follow the program as closely as possible. If he gives you the option to cross train, I would take it and do something that is low or no impact.

Also, I found that especially as the miles added up that I HAD to include a half hour or so of stretching at the end of my runs. Otherwise the next run was just brutal while my body worked out all the kinks. Calfs (gastro and soleus) hamstrings, quads, hip flexors, abdominals, etc. It was well worth the time.

I don't know if I'll ever do one again, but I'm glad I did it the first time.
  • domino38
    Options
    Wow Boston..that's amazing! Yeah this course it flat and several miles when I did the half there are on the boardwalk. I have not ran consistently for about a year. I actually started the training tonight and it definitely shows!
    I love hearing everyone's story on their first marathon experience! It inspires me!:smile:
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    First marathon was Chicago in 2005, I ran too much in training, and injured myself, but managed at 4:26. The whole thing was crazy and painful and awesome. I became totally addicted. Crossing the finish line of that race was one of the most memorable moments of my life. I really did hit every emotion from crazy joy to deep sorrow along the way. Distance running taught me a lot about myself and the kinds of things I can accomplish.

Now I have a plan that has be running 4 days a week.

Sunday - long run (race pace +30 seconds)
    Monday- rest or active recovery
    Tues- Recovery run at easy pace
    Wed- hill repeats
    Thurs- strength
    Fri - speed or tempo run
    Sat- strength

I do 3 weeks on and 1 step back week (3-4 6 mile easy runs) for 12 weeks, then I taper starting 2 -3 weeks before the race. Last marathon was a 3:23 and I'm gearing up to try for a PR of 3:15 this fall. Good Luck!
  • domino38
    Options
    Oh wow! That is awesome! Good luck to you and your goal! I can only imagine the emotions that one goes through doing a marathon. I know that I was very emotional after the half:cry: I just hope I can finish...its that fear I guess all first timers and I am sure veterans go through. Wow you guys are motivating me! Thank you so much!:flowerforyou:
  • xcmtnracer
    xcmtnracer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    My first marathon was the 1993 Chicago marathon, ran a 3:56, it rained, it snowed, it was hot, then cold and I had no idea what I was doing. Said I would never run one again, I swore at myself for weeks, I was so sore for weeks, I had no clue what I was doing but I liked to run and decided to give it a try. I never ran more than 10 miles before that, figured, how hard can it be. My nipples were rubbed off, I was over dressed, then under dressed, any hair on my legs rubbed off, my skin was turned rash red, the clothes I wore were not meant to run 26 miles, and so on and so on.

Then, 9 years later I returned and ran the Chicago marathon again, this time better prepared, I knew how to train, I new what to wear, I followed weather reports, I conditioned my body to run distance and not rash, rub off, or blister. I ran the marathon in a 3:12, expecting a run under 3 hours, unfortunately it took 45 minutes to get to mile 5 because so many runners showed up and the streets were to crowded to run my pace up to that point, then things opened up and I ran a faster pace than planned the remaining 21 miles. I sprinted the last mile, felt strong all the way through and even did sprints in my hotel on my drive to San Diego three hours after the marathon.

Use the training bible, do the speed work, do the tempo runs, increase those long runs, own the recovery runs, do not over do it but go hard when you are suppose to. 4 months out, experiment with gels, find the right shoes, wear the right cloths and use your best training cloths for the race (they will be properly broken in). Shoes, start with new shoes at the beginning of training, if you put 400 miles on them replace them or alternate two pair of identical shoes and run the marathon in them, never run 26 miles in new shoes. Eat everything, you will earn it and need it, hydrate well, join a run club, sign up for 5k's early, then 10k's after two months, then a half marathon after three months. Do that 20 miler two to three weeks out from the marathon, then taper down each week until the big day.

Hope this helps.
  • domino38
    Options
    It does help! Thank you so much for all the information! You guys are great! :smile: It is nice to see everyone's story on their first marathon. You all are inspiring! :happy:
  • jtruaxwest
    Options
    If you haven't actually signed up for the Atlantic City Marathon another great first marathon is the Marine Corps Marathon (open to everyone) in Washington DC. It in the same vicinity as Atlantic City so that's why I mention it. It is held in late October also.

The course is flat (one small hill from mile 6-7) but you get to start at the Pentagon and finish at the Marine Corps Memorial. In between you get the Georgetown students cheering you on, and offering the beverage of your choice, from mile 6-8. You run behind the Jefferson Memorial at mile 13, run the length of the mall from mile 14 to 19 with fantastic views of the Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument, and the Capital. Photographers are staioned so that you can get a great photo with the Capital in the background. The crowds on the mall are unbelievable. The last 2 miles you get a great view of the opposite side of the Pentagon. When you cross the finish line your finishers medal is presented to you by a Marine Corp Lieutenant. The organization, support before, during, and after, are nothing short of exceptional. It's also one of the least expensive races to sign up for. I've run it 3 times and it is my favorite course by far.

As for you training, Higdon's program is good. I would recommend adding some hills in the runs. It helps build up the quads and makes the getting to the finish line a little easier.

Lastly, when you've finish and people congratulate you for running 26 miles you should correct them and tell them it was 26.2. You deserve credit for every inch.

Good luck and have a great run.
  • pilarg18
    pilarg18 Posts: 25
    Options
    Domino, congrats on your decision to run a marathon! I've always found when training that the most important thing is putting feet to pavement. Get your miles in. If you miss a run, don't try to make it up (once you create a "debt" it's easy to psych yourself out), just make sure to hit your next scheduled run. Stretch before and after. Drink lots of water. Don't be intimidated by a little rain or a little wind but be sure to wear reflective gear if you're running outside or in poor weather. Invest in a good sports bra. Don't be embarrassed about buying udder cream and slathering it on - chafing happens. Tell people that you're training for a marathon because they provide accountability. Sign up for several 5 and 10k races (and maybe a half or two) before your race so you get a good idea of how you respond to the race atmosphere and how you can temper that need to start out too quickly. Change up your running music or download audio books because long runs can get boring after a while. Throw in some hills and fartleks. Also, I agree with the person who spoke about the Marine Corps Marathon - it's awesome. My hubby and I are running it again in October and in terms of crowds and support and logistics, it's one of the best out there. Good luck!
  • CancunJulie
    CancunJulie Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Join a running group - and run our weekly long run with people that share the same pace goal. You will become fast friends with these guys. Also - follow a running plan that has you running the same amount of miles during the week as your long run on the weekend. For example - if your long run is 20 miles - then make sure you have 3-4 runs during the week that total 20 miles. I work - and I crammed all my milage on the weekend. Those that followed plans like what I decribed above had better sucess and less injuries.

Also -you will be very hungry during your training. Don't over eat.

Good luck to you!
  • kmanus
    kmanus Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm following the 30wk plan for my first marathon in May. So far so good....I have about 4 more long-build runs and then it is taper time! I've stuck to it almost to the letter with a couple small exceptions. I took a total of 6 runs (all weekday runs) off in Jan due to bursitis in my foot - still did the long run....which is why I had to take the 2nd week off. And now that I'm starting to hit that 'I'm sick of training point,' I'm thinking of partially replacing my Thurs run with a Core & More class at the studio near my home and then running the 2.5 mi home afterwards. I've been trying to do my long runs off-road as much as possible since about 21 miles of the marathon is a forest road, and trail running forces me to slow down. My goal is simply to finish before the course cutoff of 6 hours. I'll be doing a 5 min run/1 min walk plan - which is how I've done 97% of my training runs. Just recently I started doing the 3 milers as full runs w/o walking.

I'm doing the Whiskey Row Marathon in Prescott, AZ. I decided to go big and crazy in terms of difficulty for my first :drinker: : http://whiskeyrowmarathon.com/whiskeyrowmarathan/site_files/editor_files/image/file/WhiskeyRowProfiles_All.pdf
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    First marathon was 2004, I ran 3:52. Like most newbies, I went out too fast early and paid the price at the end. Going out too fast is really easy, as you feel great cruising along at mile 4 or 8 or 15. Then reality sets in at mile 22...

Just train properly and run smart and you do great!

I'm running marathon #26 in a week and a half, still trying to figure out whether or not I like the distance...
  • jfeh
    jfeh Posts: 30
    Options
    The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer

http://www.amazon.com/Non-Runners-Marathon-Trainer-David-Whitsett/dp/1570281823

This book is advertised as a marathon guide for non-runners, but even as a runner, I found the behavioral psychology aspects of the book invaluable. The strategies in this book got me through a lot of long runs, and it goes week by week, which is very useful. Highly recommend.

Good luck and enjoy your first marathon!
  • domino38
    Options
    If you haven't actually signed up for the Atlantic City Marathon another great first marathon is the Marine Corps Marathon (open to everyone) in Washington DC. It in the same vicinity as Atlantic City so that's why I mention it. It is held in late October also.

Thank you the information! I have already signed up for AC Marathon. I looked up the Marine Corps and all I can say is wow! If there is a second marathon in my future this will be the one that I do!:smile:
  • domino38
    Options
    Tell people that you're training for a marathon because they provide accountability. Sign up for several 5 and 10k races (and maybe a half or two) before your race so you get a good idea of how you respond to the race atmosphere and how you can temper that need to start out too quickly.

I have told several folks that this is my plan and overall I have received good support...although I get the occasion teasing from my brother :noway: but hey that's what brothers are for! Signing up for a few races is a great idea!
  • domino38
    Options
    I'm doing the Whiskey Row Marathon in Prescott, AZ. I decided to go big and crazy in terms of difficulty for my first :drinker: : http://whiskeyrowmarathon.com/whiskeyrowmarathan/site_files/editor_files/image/file/WhiskeyRowProfiles_All.pdf
    Wow! That looks intense! You will do great! :happy:

Thanks everyone!!! I enjoy reading each and every one of your stories! Thank you for all your advice! You guys are amazing! :love:
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Hello all!:flowerforyou: I will be shooting for a marathon in October 2013. I have done several 5k's, and 10k's and I completed a half marathon two years ago. My goal is to finish. I will be starting my training using Hal Higdon's Beginner Novice Supreme 30 week training program this week.
    What was your experience with your first marathon? Did anyone follow this program and if so how did it work out for you?:smile:

I'm running my first one in May and using Hal Higdon novice 2. It seems to be working for me so far..I havn't missed a single training run so far or had an injury!

I have no idea what a marathon would be like, but if I finish Toronto, then i will enter for savannah in November.

Good luck, train hard and stick to the plan..Mr.Higdon knows what he is doing, thats for sure!

P.S..I am a pro photographer too and pretty much cancelled all my weddings so i can make sure I can train for my long runs on a saturday...as you can see, i HATE doing weddings LOL
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    I am loving these stories too. Working my way up to the same goal. Good luck!