5'0" to 5'4" ladies do you have a hard time losing weight?

Options
13»

Replies

• lfergurson1
    lfergurson1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Beach body had this info about the process of resetting your bodies metabolism and doing it very gradually I read it some time ago I think it was great advice. I started at 2260 and now I am down to 1960 when I hit my 20 pound goal I am doing to drop it a tad ... I think its smart to not push your body into a corner and lets face it we all have some sort of eating disorder if youve been over 100 pounds overweight especially, For me i really have had such a hard time eating what I am allowed but I think its teaching me to eat better and I think its going to be a good day when I eat less because when you are eating well 2000 is a good day. By the way I am 5'1... Its really hard for us because we get no mercy on our tiny frames...Good luck!
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4". I started my weight loss program back in late July. I cut out everything that I ate between meals, and my weight loss for the first week was 10 lbs based on a 1300 calorie plan. I had been losing 3-5 pounds a month until I had lost 30 pounds. Since then, I've been on a big plateau. The good news is that I didn't gain anything between Thanksgiving and New Year's.

After going through my diaries, my nutritionist suggested that I bump up the calories to 1500, pointing out that my calorie intake minus exercise put me well under 1000 calories, and that I might be operating in starvation mode. She was right. Since then, I have dropped an additional 5 pounds, and seem to be back on my 3-5 per month loss plan.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    :wink: :wink:
    I am 5'4", and the only time I have "trouble" losing weight is when I am not consistent. The main thing that helped me a lot is I figured my calories with the Scooby calculator...low and behold I had cut my calories too drastically. Now I eat more and I am back on track.

By the way, if you open your food diary it would be a whole lot easier for people to help you. If we don't know what you are eating or your BMR and TDEE then we cannot accurately help you.

Here is the link to the Scooby: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

What is BMR and TDEE? I am new and don't know what that means.....also if you know what is BUMP, I have seen that in some postings?

BMR = basal metabolic rate = how many calories your body needs to function (i.e. maintain your organs, etc)

TDEE = all the calories you burn in a whole day, i.e. your BMR plus all the calories you use moving around

to lose weight, eat less than your TDEE, but more than your BMR. Usually 20% less than your TDEE is recommended, but if you only have a few lbs to lose, then TDEE - 15% or even TDEE - 10% is better

Bump - this is where someone just wants to post on the thread so it appears on their "my topics" and they can go back to it later, or sometimes people do this to bring the thread up to the top of the listings.
  • RatherBeOutside
    RatherBeOutside Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I lost 7 pounds as of today, I am 5'3" at 53 years of age.. I went on the 1200 diet per MFP and upped my exercise an extra 30 to 60 minutes a day depending on what is... some days I eat really low on others really high! LOL I started MFP Dec 27th 2012.. but on top of that I lost an inch off my waistline and hips.. have toned up too. My legs are much thinner than they have been in over two years. seems the extra exercising is what's working. It is much harder after 40 and even harder after 50 years of age. IT can be done!!!!!
  • _FATNSASSY
    _FATNSASSY Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    5'2 - Struggling for 3 years to lose weight. Since I've started on mfp over a year ago (and even before that), I hardly lost any weight. I was an on and off tracker. I was eating more because I thought I had to eat 1200 per day "OR my body would go into starvation mode". THEN I went to the Dr. and her advise to me (and me alone) was to cut my calories to between 800 and 1000 a day (with vitamens and plenty of protein). Work out 3 times a week for 30 mintues or more. Drink lots of water. Cut the calories you can (ranch, mayo, fried foods, etc). I started tracking every day, no matter what I ate, even if it was too much. That was Feb 5, 2013. In that month (and I haven't started working out yet) I've lost 18 lbs. I know there will be some of you out there that poo poo eating under 1200 calories, but as soon as I did, I started losing weight...for the first time in forever. I'm not telling you how to lose your weight, I'm just sharing how it worked for me.
  • RumpusP
    RumpusP Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    OP, I'm sorry if this has been said already, I only read the first few replies:

I don't know how much you weigh already, but if you are close to a healthy weight for your size it's not unusual for the weight to come off slow... or even REALLY slow.
  • lindaw66
    lindaw66 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    bump
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    It's no harder to lose weight it you're short. Your calorie budget will be smaller because you have a smaller body mass to support but as far as metabolism and diet short people are not the exception.

:laugh: Well it sure feels like it to me :ohwell: It's tough to try to lose on a deficit that gives you only 1200 cal to begin with :grumble:
    Good thing with the added exercise, netting 1200 is far less of a problem :laugh:
  • kayaksara
    kayaksara Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 1". Patience. That is what I found I needed. I have been in that spot sitting there not losing a pound for a month, then another month goes by and nothing. I figure my body was just doing what it does best, hold onto the fat so it doesn't starve. But I didn't change what I was doing. 1200 calories average per day of very clean eating. A little strength training and a little cardio. And finally it comes off. Don't be scared by not losing anything. It's better than gaining. And 0.5 - 1 pound a week is phenominal for us short girls. As the months go, you may even lose more in a week. But I wouldn't expect it. Don't give up. I am a fan of the "Petite Advantage Diet" Book by Jim Karas. Good Luck and stick with it! It is worth it in the end!
  • cryswest57
    cryswest57 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1." I don't care about my weight so much as I do about inches. Has anyone lost inches? How have you done it?

Me, ten inches from my waist alone. Using the method in the "road map" thread plus lifting heavy weights.

I'm 5'1" too.

What is the group all about?

read the thread "in place of a road map" (it was linked to earlier) - it explains a method for calculating how many calories you need to lose fat while feeding your body enough food... that's what it's all about. It's really worth reading. There's a group for people who follow this method, but you don't have to join the group, you just have to read the thread and follow the instructions if you want to use this method.

ETA: sorry the link was to the group - do a search for the thread "in place of a road map" and read the thread. Joining the group is optional (but recommended )

Alright, I'll check it out!
  • traccie2
    traccie2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1 and I have a thyroid condition along with pcos. I am only 28 but the thyroid and pcos fight against me to lose weight. I have battled to lose the weight I have but I have weeks where I gain 2-4 back so its fustrating. I really want to get a hold on this but find it very hard with a thyroid and pcos to get a handle on my weight loss. Does anyone else have a thyroid and pcos condition that have found a method of success?

I am 47, soon to be 48. I am 5' 1'' and I have a low thyroid. I take levothyroxine daily and have been taking it for ten years. I started on MFP on Dec 24th of 2012 and have lost 20 lbs. There are things to remember when taking any kind of thyroid medication. Take it on an empty stomach preferably 30 - 45 minutes before eating, and don't take it with caffiene. There are mixed thoughts on that but I did read online that the caffiene inhibits the thyroid medication. When I stopped taking it with my coffee then I felt better.

I don't know what pcos is, so I can't help you with that.
  • bobbiboo24
    bobbiboo24 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I found this topic! I'm 5'4'' and have been on a diet since the start of January and have lost only 4 lbs. I am really struggling to lose weight, exercising every day and trying to keep as active as possible.

I'm going to keep at it though, never thought it would be easy, just didn't think it would be this hard. We'll get through it. If you have any more concerns, I'd definitely get your hormones checked at the doctor's. Could be a very simple solution.

I'm also thinking about taking green tea supplements to maybe speed up my metabolism!
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for responding. I lost 4lbs in 28 days. I had my thyroid checked a couple years ago and it was fine. Is this one of those "I should just keep what I'm doing and be patient" kind of things? I really appreciate all the feedback.

So you are losing a pound a week, I'm lost what is your issue that is a very healthy way to lose weight. I sort of lose a lot of weight then stay at a place then lose again but from the start of the year I've lost a pound a week and am ecstatic as I know I can maintain my current lifestyle!

Remember if you lose quickly you gain it back just as fast - you need to find something you can sustain for the rest of your life - not a race to the finish it is a change forever. And the place on the road map link already shared is GOLD!

^^This.
    Doesn't sound like you have a problem. Sounds like you're losing at a good rate.
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I have hardly lost any weight but I have lost 2.5in from my waist, 2in from my hips, 1in from my bust, .25 from my calf since Jan 2nd.
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and have had a relatively easy time losing weight. Maybe I just lucked out, though. It'll probably stall once I get closer to my goal, though.

A pound a week is healthy, though.