Biggest Looser - motivating or not?

Options

Replies

• now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I don't find the biggest loser motivating at all. It is unrealistic and their trainers have endorsed some pretty stupid things that any good trainer wouldn't want their name one (Jillian Michaels cleanse and detox pills for example).

The show doesn't promote healthy weight loss or proper eating and exercise. These people are forced to workout for hours a day. Their weeks are not 7 days long.. but longer. They get dehydrated before weigh ins. I really don't know why this show is still around.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I've often wondered if any of those folks have ever had a heart attack while in between filming episodes. Sure, there is a doctor on staff, but I feel they are pushed too hard too quickly in. I also think that many morbidly obese people probably watch that show and decide they're going to go to drastic measures too in order to lose weight.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Biggest Loser is disgusting and exploitative. They CHILDREN on there for pete's sake. I have no respect for Jillian Michaels because of it, and I won't buy any of her products.

I normally agree that the show is very exploitative, but I will give them credit, they have done very well with the kids this season. They are not weighed in, are not subject to nearly the same treatment as the adults (I don't think any of the trainers have raised their voices to the kids once, and for good reason. Can you imagine the national outrage if those kids were yelled or sworn at?), and the emphasis for them is on fun activities and sports to get fit, not just a number on a scale. I hope if they continue to bring minors on the show that they continue in that fashion.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    I used to like it. It's just a overdramatized caricature of it's original concept.
  • _Tara_R
    _Tara_R Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I love Biggest Loser! I find it very motivating. :)
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options

Thanks for sharing this. Very interesting!
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    this is the first year I have watched and can't say those ladies that weigh less than I do look any skinnier than I do.. I think they drop the weight to fast and have lost a lot of lean body mass.
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    It motivates me because if someone can work out that hard that weights twice my weight then so can I. It is also great so see where people lose the weight, the progression different body types go through. I don't get caught up in the numbers they drop every week, I know that is not realistic.
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Well that kind of depends on the day. This past Monday, I had already done my run in the morning so I was watching happily, wolfing down thin mints (and still managed to stay in under my calorie goal). Last week however, I missed my Monday run so in the middle of it all, I started doing jumping jacks, and created my newest profile pic which is my current weight and my goal (or rather, where I was 5 years ago and want to get back to).
  • x3na1401
    x3na1401 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    It makes me hungry
  • GingerBiscuit_19
    GingerBiscuit_19 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I do like biggest loser, but I do wonder whether they manage to keep it off though once they go back to normal lives?
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    This year I think it is interesting that the one guys brother has lost 95 lbs at home- when he lost only 8 lbs more. Is it worth dealing with Jillian screaming in your face. I thought she was horrible this season- guess that is why she lost all the contestants except 1.

I like the show but Jillian annoys the crap out of me. I even hit the MUTE button during the 30 Day Shred DVD so I dont' have to listen to her. :laugh:
  • lessofkimberly
    lessofkimberly Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the biggest loser because the trainers often have great tips. I like watching how they train and sometimes try to emulate what they do when I go to the gym. But reality is, my asthma...I have had it since I was about 10 doesnt always cooperate and sometimes turning the knob up on the treadmill to 5 or 6 makes me have to reach for my inhalor. I just dont understand how those people who have medical issues dont die on set. You have to listen to your body and a trainer screaming at you isnt going to change the fact that I have asthma. Anyway. It is also not reality for most people to dedicate 7 days a week 8 hours a day to exercise, gym and physical activity, so to drop 10 pounds is just not going to happen for me. I am happy when I drop point 5 pounds. LOL Take it all in stride. A loss is a loss no matter how fast it comes off. Keep plugging away.
  • blondemom1979
    blondemom1979 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I think it can be unrealistic and discouraging at times..
    This^^ plus how on earth can it be healthy to take obese people and work them so hard, its a wonder no one has had a heart attack! If that Jillian Micheals spoke to me the way she speaks to some of the contestants I would be flipping her up the gym not the tractor tire :D
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    What really gets my panties in a knot is this: What exactly am I learning by watching the show? They never say what nutrition/how they are eating. They exercise for hours a day, Personal trainers, doctors, and other professionals monitoring them everyday. You never find out if the weight loss is LBM or actual weight. To me the show is just a form of product placement and unrealistic weight loss that can not be maintained in the real world. I also dont like the attitude of how the BLer is saving their lives and if they leave the ranch they will fail or not be able to lose the weight, its almost border line abusive imo!
  • hampstenj
    hampstenj Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I do like biggest loser, but I do wonder whether they manage to keep it off though once they go back to normal lives?

some of them have, some of them have gained a lot of it back actually...

I wish they would give us more of the nutrition advice that they give the contestants, Yeah they exercise for hours at the ranch, but are highly supervised with doctors and other trainers as well, if you ask me a lot of the weight loss is water, but when you see Joe's twin brother losing that much at home it is inspiring that you don't need to go to the ranch to get healthier... that's just my feeling.. I watch it weekly though, it HAS helped me in getting started in my journey but it's not that big of a motivation to me.. I get enough of that from my MFP friends :happy:
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I don't find it motiviating but I do find it entertaining.
  • becky6m
    becky6m Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I watched it for the first time ever this week. (a lot of my MFP buddies watch so i gave it a try) seeing those numbers upset me. I couldn't believe they have been on the ranch for 9 weeks and some have lost 110+ pounds????? Made me wonder why I get excited about 2lbs loss in a week. LOL. I probably wont watch it again, but I feel ya.
  • DaBigChief
    DaBigChief Posts: 146
    Options
    It inspires me...even though,like most things we see on tv, is unrealistic in our everyday life. It's still exciting to see people making a positive change in their life.