Do you eat "burned" calories??

Options
Hi! I started counting calories today on MyFitness and see that I burned a ton of calories at my bootcamp. Do you all eat those? Dont? Bank? Mix it up?? What's the best way to treat "Burned Calories"?

Replies

• ramonafrincu
    ramonafrincu Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Some people say to eat them back, I am eating only half, sometimes none. x
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I do, but that's because of how I setup my daily goal.

If your daily calorie goal doesn't include exercise (which MFP doesn't, by default) then you should be logging your exercise and eating back the calories. If your daily goal does include exercise (which other sites' TDEE calculators do), then you don't need to log exercise or eat back cals.

It's not as random as many people will have you believe. There is a reason and some science behind why you should or shouldn't, especially early on while you are trying to figure things out/get a feel for all this.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I never eat them back unless it's a 3 hr bike ride or something excessive that leaves me a bit more hungry. Exercise is something I do for my fitness level, not to earn more food.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options

If your daily calorie goal doesn't include exercise (which MFP doesn't, by default) then you should be logging your exercise and eating back the calories. If your daily goal does include exercise (which other sites' TDEE calculators do), then you don't need to log exercise or eat back cals.

It's not as random as many people will have you believe. There is a reason and some science behind why you should or shouldn't, especially early on while you are trying to figure things out/get a feel for all this.

Great explanation, I changed my calorie goal according to my BMR that included my exercise so I don't eat them back. If you have yours set at what MFP gave you, then you should eat back at least half of them.
  • moonspinner75
    moonspinner75 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The more I read, the more confused I get!!!
    What I took from MFP set up was the following...
    Without exercise, my plan says I need to consume 1200 cal to lose 2 lbs a week.
    THEN, if I burn those consumed calories, I have to "eat them back". Not that I'm eating more but that I am staying at the consistent caloric rate that MFP says I should be at to lose.

IS THIS RIGHT OR NOT????? I've lost 10 lbs in 8 weeks, clearly not 2 lb a week though!
    ADVICE????
  • ForABetterMe89
    Options
    It depends on my moon ad stomach. Typically I eat some of them back. I typically don't eat them all bad, but it's not usual that I don't eat any of them back. I'm not going to eat and eat if I'm truly not hungry. Most people will tell you to eat them all back though.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    THEN, if I burn those consumed calories, I have to "eat them back". Not that I'm eating more but that I am staying at the consistent caloric rate that MFP says I should be at to lose.

IS THIS RIGHT OR NOT????? I've lost 10 lbs in 8 weeks, clearly not 2 lb a week though!
    ADVICE????

yes, that is right.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    If you're losing weight, at any rate, you're doing it right.
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options

ADVICE????
    correct.
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I will usually eat most of them back. So far, so good.
  • shirleylmartin
    shirleylmartin Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for weight loss, then I would suggest that you don't eat them back. I'm not a trainer or nutritionist or anything, but that's what I'm doing, and that's what has been working for me. I honestly don't like how MFP adds the calories from your workout to your daily calorie allowance.
  • vkw1
    vkw1 Posts: 88
    Options
    no,I am participting in a group fitness programme, the traniner recommemded this site but said not to eat them back ( all the time) I usually dont eat them back but if still a bit hungry will have something
  • ThisGirl2013
    ThisGirl2013 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Nope
    I eat before I work out and grab some protein after and call it a day
  • jeslaughter
    jeslaughter Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I eat some of them back most days. Some days I only use half others, well other days I need to exercise to get more calories!! On a good day, I definitely try not eat them all back.
  • simplycorey
    simplycorey Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I have mine set up so I should be eating them back but I only eat about 1/3-1/2 of them back because I found my body responds well if I leave some left over. Everyone is different though, so play around and see what your body responds to.
  • renitawalker9
    Options

This.

I used Scooby's workshop calculator and am doing TDEE-(5-10%) since I am about 3lbs away from goal and looking to start building muscle. I will tweak after a couple of weeks by increasing calories if I find I am still losing too much weight or decreasing calories if I'm gaining quickly. you really do have to a little experimenting initially to find what works for you.
  • bettyann55
    bettyann55 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    If I have a really good day of exercise I do eat some of my burned calories. However in all the classes I have taken it was taught you had to eat your 1400 to 1500 calories a day and the ones burned from exercise are the calories you need to lose the weight. Hense burn 400 calories that is 400 less eaten calories to help make up the 3500 calories which makes a pound.
  • bettyann55
    bettyann55 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. My diary is open to friends and I set my calories at 1400 and rarely eat back any of those burned calories. At a Weight Wise course I took the training was that you had to burn calories to lose weight and to eat a balanced healthy diet. Never was it suggested to eat back the calories we burned unless you did become truly hungry.
  • amanda1266
    Options
    I always wondered why people would eat back the calories they just burned at the gym when trying to lose weight.. In my mind I might as well do no exercise, than do an hour of cardio and eat it all back. I don't get it.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    bump