beginning running pain

Options
hello all, i am currently 162, i just started working out, i do about 30 min of cardio and 30 min of weights 6-7 days a week... im about 2 weeks in and have been in the mood to start running, yesterday i tried it out to see where i am at and my shins(?) - the bones in my lower legs, hurt pretty bad immediately. it super sucked cuz i wasnt out of breath but had to stop after 3 minutes because of the discomfort. i used to run only a mile a few years ago here and there and i never had this pain. so i was wondering if anyone has experienced this, did it go away once you lost some weight or gained muscle mass?
i have a few herniated discs in my back one of which i have had for almost 10 years now, but i dont see this being the cause... and i know about shin splints, idk if i could get them immediately. i had the tredmill on an incline of 1, which i read in a health mag. helps prevent them...
any info would be helpful. Thank you!!

Replies

• autopilot_on
    Options
    When I started running about 3 years ago I had this same problem. My shins would KILL me. After I lost the first 20 pounds (I started at 240) I noticed it less and less and now it doesn't happen at all. I don't think that it's all weight related though.

Try doing squats and lunges as part of your workouts to increase your muscle ability in the lower leg and I think you'll notice some improvement. Also I used an elliptical machine to build up my endurance before I started running. So that might help too.
  • jnzema
    jnzema Posts: 24
    Options
    When I first began running a year and a half ago my legs would burn and so would my lungs, it eventually worked out, but it took several runs... Move forward five months to when we moved and I was able to start running on a dirt trail instead of concrete and it all started again, but this time my knees joined the protest.
  • nevareg
    nevareg Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I had pretty bad shin splints after starting to run again! I was limping off of tredmills and i figured enough was enough. I'd stretch, I'd ice them I'd massage them, anything but nothing was helping them out. I didn't want to stop so I read on a couple of websites that they recommended shin sleeves or shin compression socks. Now they are a bit pricey depending on where you get them. I went to ebay and scored some for 19 bucks each. Anyway, I love them!! For me they helped, I wore them during running and even during my other workouts. After 10 weeks (4 with sleeves) I can proudly say, shin splints are now gone!! Good luck with the pain and hope this helps :)
  • cupulous
    cupulous Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Try a couch to 5k program to gently ease your way into running. Even folks at the peak of fitness can get shin splints if they don't slowly increase the intensity of this high impact activity. I have 2 bulging disks in my lower back and have had problems running in the past. Not to say you will, but I recommend a book called 'Back Sense' for folks trying to deal with chronic low back pain issues.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    It probably has more to do with your stride. You might be over striding. Could also be if your shoes don't fit corrctly or your toes are not facing directly forward when you land. Google correct running stride. In the mean time you want to ice them down, and perhaps stretch them after/during warmups.
  • SalonBoi
    SalonBoi Posts: 60
    Options
    How old are your running shoes? If they're worn or uneven from just average walking that'll make a big difference..
  • kbrhelker23
    Options
    thank you all for your responses!
    now that i think about it, a few weeks before we got gym memberships my shins were sensitive to touch for no reason, and i think for like a day or two it hurt when i walked.. i have no idea why or how it happened, it could be a prolonged injury.. im sure my stride is all wrong, i notice i tend to walk with toes pointed outward... probably a good idea to build more muscle, lose some weight before i jump into running.. for now the eliptical will have to suffice. thank you all again :0)
  • michelleokelly5
    michelleokelly5 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I just got fitted for the proper running shoes. Stability and motion control was what I needed. It helped with shin splints tremendously.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    It probably has more to do with your stride. You might be over striding. Could also be if your shoes don't fit corrctly or your toes are not facing directly forward when you land. Google correct running stride. In the mean time you want to ice them down, and perhaps stretch them after/during warmups.

I agree with both of these theories. And it could have something to do with your back injury as well. A lot of folks have hip and knee issues that have nothing to do with those actual joints but a weakness in the upper back and glutes and sometimes thighs (stabilizers). Our bodies have a lot more connections than we realize, especially when doing something like running that takes most of the body to do. You're obviously working your legs but your core and upper body are also involved.

Good to hear you plan on doing lots of strength training to help. This should put you on a great path!
  • TT_luvs_fitness
    Options
    When I started running about 3 years ago I had this same problem. My shins would KILL me. After I lost the first 20 pounds (I started at 240) I noticed it less and less and now it doesn't happen at all. I don't think that it's all weight related though.

Try doing squats and lunges as part of your workouts to increase your muscle ability in the lower leg and I think you'll notice some improvement. Also I used an elliptical machine to build up my endurance before I started running. So that might help too.

I agree with this 100% I too had this issue and would last for days. I lost the weight and gained muscle and now no pain at all anymore and i am running more and more eveyday! you too will get there
  • rodeothedog
    rodeothedog Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I always have shin splints when i start. I have a shin wrap. Like a knee support but for your shins. My doc also told me to do the alphabet with your feet each side three times a day. Its like doing circles but do the alphabet
  • Ellis3108
    Options
    Invest in a good foam roller and use it. And then invest in some compression socks. You may seek out expert advice on running form. I found that my local running stores have low-cost, if not free, form clinics. I changed my form, learned to use my glutes, and ran pain-free from there on. Good luck!!!! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!