Event runners \ walkers

Options
Is there a reason why you don't do the event you plan on doing before the actual even date as practice?

Coz I'm planning on doing my first half marathon on 4th of August in Taupo. So I said to my Mum lastnight as part of my training I'd do a practice of the full course in June. Because psychologically I need to know I can do it. But she said its just not the done thing!?

Why?

Thanks Helen.

Ps My Mum is an ex marathoner so I trust her advice so just wanted others thoughts.

Replies

• BridgeKiki
    Options
    Good luck and have fun! Thanks for sharing.
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I haven't run the course before a race. One race I did was 8 hours from where I lived and the other races, it just didn't work out in my schedule. Some people do run the course before the actual race. I don't see anything wrong with it. Usually I try to look at the elevation chart to make sure my training is appropriate. For example I don't want to do all flat running if my race is really hilly. If you feel you need to run the course or at least part of it, do it.
  • lilacinfinity
    lilacinfinity Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it would make sense to me!
    I want to do the City to Surf (Tauranga) in September, and I'll certainly be doing the course a few times beforehand!
  • TooLeftFeet
    TooLeftFeet Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't. I'd train to 11 or 12 and let the event adrenaline carry me that last mile or two. Good luck
  • 007bondage
    007bondage Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I see real benefits in running the course before race day, provided you are doing the event with the goal of doing well, rather than just completing the distance. Taupo Half course is a mix of roads, cobbles, grass track and streets. It has lots of subtle undulations, and a couple of not so subtle ones. By running the course in June it will give you the chance to experience those "nuances" and to seek out training surfaces and gradients that mirror what you will find on the day.

I would not run a marathon course prior, as this would simply not be productive (three weeks recovery time)!
  • 007bondage
    007bondage Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I want to do the City to Surf (Tauranga) in September, and I'll certainly be doing the course a few times beforehand!

It's an out-and-back course, I assume you have a support person to drop you off or collect you? Please please be Careful of the traffic around the bridge :)
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Makes sense.

Went for a 'reccie' run with the running club last Sunday for the local 10k race this Sunday.

Gives an idea of pace (lots of hills, some off-road, steps etc on this course, so worth re-acquainting myself with it.)

For things like motorbike and mountain bike racing people will often walk the course prior to competing (even when there's practice) to pre-prepare.

A few sports such as rock climbing don't let you see what you're doing before it's started, but don't see why that'd be the case for running.
  • lilacinfinity
    lilacinfinity Posts: 283 Member
    Options

It's an out-and-back course, I assume you have a support person to drop you off or collect you? Please please be Careful of the traffic around the bridge :)

I'm a local, so its all under control :D
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    For a half, I don't; primarily because most of them are too far of a drive to make it worthwhile. Plus, I would be too nervous about taking a wrong turn and getting lost all by myself. If I go to packet pickup the day before the race, I will usually drive the course just so that I have a feel for it.

However, for a triathlon, I usually do ride the bike course in advance. I'm still very very nervous on the bike, and I like to be able to preview the course on my own (but with a friend) without worrying about all the other bikers around me.
  • sandi117
    sandi117 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Like others are saying, I think it depends on the race you are doing. I plan on trying the course for the 5K race I'm doing at the end of the month, going to do it this weekend and next weekend. I've walked it in the past, but that was before I really started focusing on my weight loss journey and started running. It's the first 5K race I'm doing, so my plan right now is just to finish it. I want to do it just so I kind of know what to expect running it. Plus, I think it will help acclimate me to running outside versus on the treadmill. I'm not quite running 5K yet on my own, but hoping that by the time race day comes, I can.
  • Lollyvoddy
    Lollyvoddy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Well, you might know this already, but I never do what anyone tells me to. If it feels right, do it! I kind of like discovering the course as it happens, on the day, but then, I'm not really serious about eventing. :-)
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your goals. If you are just training up to a half marathon and just want to finish it, you will probably be fine without running the course and following your training plan. If you are competitive or are going for a certain time and already can run 13.1 miles, running the course beforehand could help you out with your overall time if you know what to expect.

I have never run a course before hand; however, for my first half marathon I ran 13.1 several times ahead of the race. My second half marathon is next weekend. I was supposed to run 11 miles last weekend per my training plan but just went ahead and did 13.4 to assure myself I can do it. (I'm training for a marathon now, so back-to-back weekends with runs longer than 13 miles will be the norm.)
  • gfedex
    gfedex Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I've never run the exact course before a race, but I always trained for the distance I was going to be racing. For my HMs I ran the full distance a couple weeks before tapering.