Who has stopped weighing?

Options
I'm just wondering who here (ladies especially) has stopped weighing themselves and is happier for it.

I realized that my two biggest periods of successful change in my body occured during times I didn't weigh myself at all. I feel like it's putting all sorts of unnecessary pressure on me.

Anyone have anthing to share? Who is fitter, healthier and happier now that they have given up using the scale?

Replies

• __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I haven't weighed in a few weeks, right now I know i'm eating right and working out. So I could care less what the scale shows.
  • jpinge
    jpinge Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I gave up the scale and I am much happier for it! I log my calories, I work out 6 days a week both cardio and weights. I feel better, look better, my clothes fit better. I am happy. But if I were to get on the scale and see a number that I did not like then everything I just said would suddenly disappear and I would concentrate on that number. But I am not a number on the scale....I am so much more.
  • thatsillyshana
    Options
    I haven't weighed myself in about 3 months. Ever since a doctor told me to lose weight when I was fit and involved in sports and a completely healthy weight, I've stopped caring about the scale. I've also stopped trusting most doctors.
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I have always been a daily weigher. I'm now weighing in once a week. It takes some getting used to. But overall I feel better about not being a slave to the scale. I didn't weigh in for months and months after I quit smoking, and I gained 33lbs in that time. I can't go too long without checking in, otherwise I derail. I gain weight very easily so even if I think I'm doing good while maintaining I've probably gained.
  • I want to do a challenge i found, No weigh in April and see how i do
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    i've stopped weigh, stopped logging. still lifting, still wining.
  • aeg176
    aeg176 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    The scale can be such a demotivater. I have lost my drive and wanted to give up multiple times because of what the scale showed. Haven't weighed in months and I definitely feel better because of that.
  • Ps3videogames666
    Options
    Step up your game, YO! Keep Weighing;)
  • ShaunaLaNee
    ShaunaLaNee Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I go through periods of weighing daily, then months without! It all depends on my mind set. If I notice that I'm getting hung up on the numbers...I put the scale away for a month or so, and ALWAYS make progress!
  • courtneydeewalk
    Options
    I quit weighing myself after I watched the UFC fight a few weeks ago with the headliners being the two females. I am 5'6.5" ...and my "goal weight" was 135... I realized how far fetched that is for me, considering both the UFC fighters were between 5'6" and 5'7" and weighed between 133-135 and were completely DICED!!! LOL, I realized then, that If I want to be 135 lbs at my height I would either have to have NO lean muscle or be so shredded that I had near zero body fat!!

So... Im more concerned with how I feel and look! Not a number on a scale! I have a picture of my back in my profile pictures... Im building muscle and am still right around 145, give or take a couple lbs. But I am HAPPY with how Im looking!
  • Ps3videogames666
    Options
    Awesome
  • JamesChargerWolf
    JamesChargerWolf Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm considering leaving the scale. During the time that I was mad "I only lost 5 lbs" I discovered these things:

- I lost 1.5 inches from my waist
    - I lost 2.5 inches from my hips
    - I lost .5 inches from each thigh
    AND
    - I lost a full 4% of my body fat!!

With numbers like those, who cares what the scale says?!
  • toritoriprind
    toritoriprind Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm going no scale. I think what I see in the mirror and what other people have been saying has been much more motivating than some number on the scale.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    This was actually a goal for me this month. I've been in maintenance since June and I figured out how my body works. I still log but I plan to just focus on lifting and move on. I still feel great, clothes fit fantastic so why does it matter what I weigh? If I'm good on April 1st then I will know I've conquered something big.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I'm way too obsessed with data not to weigh.
  • NinjaJinja
    NinjaJinja Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Weighing in almost daily helps keep me on track.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback so far everyone! Keep it coming!

*I am asking because I find myself putting pressure on myself to get to a certain weight... and it's backfiring on me a bit. I didn't weigh for a very long time and was fine not knowing. I focused on my workouts and eating healthily, and was SEEING changes. I stepped on the scale one day because I was loving how I looked and was curious to see what weight I was at. It said 122.

Over the next year, I slowly dropped down to 113 before I started bulking up a bit. I had been focusing so hard on the scale that yes, I was losing more fat, but I lost muscle too. Seeing that number creep down became a bit of an addiction!

Now I'm back up to 128.5 after a successul bulk, but there is a layer of extra fat I would like to trim away. I think in my frustration to get it off I'm shooting myself in the foot. I've started weighing daily and its driving me nutty! The days that the scale goes up I beat myself up and the days it's down it's never down enough.
    The question of WHY the scale is doing what it's doing can drive a woman mad, and sometimes I'll be feeling OK until I step on and see that it's up and it ruins my mood. I'm an intelligent woman and I KNOW that working out makes you retain water, salty foods can cause a spike, etc. yet it still effects me.

I am a bit scared of backsliding but as long as I keep focused, keep counting calories and working out hard I think I'll be happier.
  • lemonfizzle
    lemonfizzle Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I only weigh in once a month. I love that I have more energy and feel stronger from eating right and exercising. The weight is coming off slowly and I know I will get discouraged if I worry about monitoring that number.
  • ryanemsmom
    ryanemsmom Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My scale is broken so I haven't weighed in for a few weeks. I definitely notice a difference in clothes fitting, and really that's what matters to me. I do like seeing my ticker move though :)
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I've toyed with the idea of not weighing in or at least weighing in less regularly (e.g. once a month instead of once a week). However, I recently joined a new challenge here (I like these things) which we will be weighing in once a week, so I guess I'm back to that ^^;; When I get closer to my goal weight / maintenance, I'm going to try weighing in once a month - so that I can focus on body composition and learning how to 'cope' without logging in every day :)