any ideas to stop stress eating??

Options
I am a Nursing Student and I also take care of my mom, whom is mostly independent, but I help her with some things she needs help with. ANYWAY..... Since I've been back in my home town, started Nursing school, work part time to pay off my school and bills, and help my mom... my stress level is off the hook! I have gained so much weight... and I TOTALLY eat when I am stressed, or have to study (which is ALL the TIME!) Ugggh!!!! Any ideas on how I can stop this REALLY BAD habit! I need help, I would love some advice!

Replies

• Beachtreasures
    Beachtreasures Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    There is no easy answer to that question. I was a stress eater, plus I would eat when I was bored. When I started MFP I was out of control and wasn't sure where it was going to stop, as I kept eating and gaining. I just happened to meet someone who told me about a program they were on, plus MFP. I organized my life, my cupboards, and refrigerator, plus joined MFP. This site along with my great MFP friend base helps keeps me focused on my goals. My suggestion would be to set your goals and gather supportive friends. Good luck!
  • liftreadphilosophize
    liftreadphilosophize Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    A couple ideas:

Drink 8oz of water before every meal or snack. This will help you see if your hunger signals are thirst signals, and if it isn't and if you still feel the urge to stress eat, then the water will fill you up a bit so you won't eat as much. Also, you'll get awesomely hydrated if you stress eat a lot of mini meals! :-)

If you can, get up and go for a quick walk when you want to stress eat, or do ten jumping jacks, or anything to get your body moving and to "do" something as a mental break when you really want to "combat stress" with eating.

Try to get into a routine of doing de-stressing activities every day or every couple of days. I find that baths are great for me, as is yoga a couple times a week. These don't have to be time-consuming; even 20 minutes of yoga or a hot soak can make a world of difference for me.

GUM! Sometimes it helps me to have fun flavors of gum around, so it's like a candy treat. It's gets me chewing, so it's like I'm tricking my body that I'm eating candy that lasts a looooong time. ;-)

Find a way other than stress eating to reward yourself for a long, stressful day. This could be a hot bath or yoga, like above, or it could be taking 30 minutes to watch your favorite show, 20 minutes to cruise pinterest, reading a chapter of a non-school-related book, a quick phone call with a friend, etc. Whatever brings you pleasure and a sense of relaxation -- consciously reward yourself with that.

Track your food religiously (if you don't already). Sometimes seeing how much those little snacks add up can be all the motivation you need to stop yourself before indulging.

Understand your schedule for your real, normal meals. Knowing (and planning!) when you will eat for nutrition and general well-being helps you identify when you probably want to eat purely for stress relief.

I hope some of those help! Good luck. Sounds like you have quite the busy life -- take solace in the fact that it won't be crazy forever, though. And in the meantime you'll find a way to keep yourself feeling good, healthy and productive.
  • Kauaiartist
    Kauaiartist Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Definitely plan for your stress eating! Have snacks available that are healthy - like some sliced turkey meat or smoked salmon with some crackers and fruit - DO NOT ALLOW YOURSELF TO EAT OUT OF THE BAG! Like no grabbing a bag of chips or cookies!

When you feel like eating - make a cup of tea or have a glass of water with lemon and mint - and WAIT ten minutes - gives you time to really see if you are actually hungry or is this just a reaction to stress - it works for me - I have had issues with stress eating for a long time - and sometimes I still have bouts -

If you are not doing regular exercise yet - do add it into your life - with your schedule and what you have on your plate it should be NON-NEGOTIABLE! Put it on your calendar - find something that you can work into your life - it will help tremendously - and yes, I agree with others - YOGA for sure -

Treat yourself to NON FOOD rewards - a manicure - if not in budget - buy a new nail polish color - buy one flower and put it in a bud vase - light a candle and take a hot bath - do your hair differently. Find some outlet that you enjoy to be creative - Everyone can do some form of art or craft - have some other outlet to go to other than eating (I liked the Pinterest suggestion - it's great fun and can take you away from it all for a bit! and hard to eat when your typing on your computer!).

Congratulations on being in Nursing School - and for helping your Mom - I have an 84 year old Mom I help out - and a brother who has Leukemia and other health issues and another who is bi-polar - so I understand stress - it's important to be good to yourself and being here on MFP is a great step - best of luck and if you need friends - feel free to add me!
    Aloha,
    Lynn:flowerforyou:
  • blessedwith3boys
    blessedwith3boys Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I too am a stress eater and emotional over eater. I was so stressed and so angry one day all I wanted to do was run away! Instead of running I walked briskly and walked and walked and walked until I felt better. Walking also took my mind off my stresses by feeling the wind on my face, hearing the sounds surrounding me, etc.

Exercise instead of eat.
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    instead of eating maybe turn the music up and dance
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    - Get rid of/don't buy foods that will set you off.

Definitely don't make big batches of brownies or anything (even if they're healthier). If you're going to have eg a brownie, buy a single serving. My cram-time rule: I can have a brownie or piece of carrot cake if I buy & eat ONE at a cafe (& have books with me to read). Not at home.

- Make your meat or protein dishes Sunday and Wednesday if you have time, portion out for the rest of the week or freezing. Stews are good & filling. If that's a pain, mix it up with 'healthier' frozen microwave dinners (with salad).

- Same days, wash & cut veg you can snack on (peppers, carrots, cucumbers, etc) without too much worry about cals.
  • Schellsisbacktoattack
    Options
    Thank you all SO much!!! Some great Ideas! I went shopping for "healthy snacks" and got rid of any extra junk food in the house. I have an exam on Monday, so this is the time to test my "say no to stress eating!" I hope it works! I need to stay strong. Thanks guys! :flowerforyou:

Schellie
  • bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I need some ideas to stop stress eating!
  • mrsjobba2
    mrsjobba2 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    A tip I have done is if you feel like eating, go and brush your teeth. I never want to eat after that .
  • dmb0114
    dmb0114 Posts: 49
    Options
    I definitely tend toward stress/emotional eating and have not found any one thing that works all the time. BUT, I will say the thing that helps me the most is exercise. It is such a win win... it makes you feel better/decreases stress and at least for me, once I start exercising I seem to just want to start eating better.... like one good choice leads to another good choice.

((HUGS)) it is definitely a struggle but hang in there. You are worth it!
  • sroybal84
    Options
    GUM! Sometimes it helps me to have fun flavors of gum around, so it's like a candy treat. It's gets me chewing, so it's like I'm tricking my body that I'm eating candy that lasts a looooong time. ;-)
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I am definately in the same boat as you here. 2 things I have found that work for me:

1) Make a glass of hot tea - sip it... this will give you something to concentrate on.
    2) Extra sugar free gum (the kind that comes in those yummy flavors). Whenever I got the urge to snack I would chew this instead.

Good luck!
  • sroybal84
    Options
    No lie, eat your junk food in your underwear ( or something that shows your trouble spots). Sounds weird, I know, but when I'm home and want to binge on junk, nothing makes me want to spit out my jelly beans more than looking at my mommy tummy flab and thigh-tanics while eating them...or anything unhealthy for that matter. I know you can't go around in restaurants eating half naked, but hey, it helps at home lol ( I realize I sound like a completely crazy person)
  • NaturallyandProperly
    NaturallyandProperly Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Why not just eat healther foods, large salads, lots of water, nuts, try to cut out some wheat products and you might see a difference there? That's what I've been doing. Also, I drink a lot of herbal teas.
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will work for you based on your busy schedule, but if you can, set aside 30 mins each day just for YOU. It sounds corny, but "me" time works wonders for me. What you do with that time is up to you: exercise, browse a magazine, take a long bath. Whatever decompresses you is what you should do. Just make sure it is not food related.

Hope you find one (or several) of the suggestions coming your way from the MFP family to be helpful.
  • dmb0114
    dmb0114 Posts: 49
    Options
    No lie, eat your junk food in your underwear ( or something that shows your trouble spots). Sounds weird, I know, but when I'm home and want to binge on junk, nothing makes me want to spit out my jelly beans more than looking at my mommy tummy flab and thigh-tanics while eating them...or anything unhealthy for that matter. I know you can't go around in restaurants eating half naked, but hey, it helps at home lol ( I realize I sound like a completely crazy person)

What a great idea! Will just have to remember to close the curtains ;)
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    No icky snack foods in the house. If they aren't there, you can't eat them.
    5-minute walk outside.
    If you MUST snack, make it something really hot and spicy. You likely won't each much. I like 100-calorie popcorn packs with a lot of Tobasco or Sriracha.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You need to find another way to manage the stress. If eating is your current method of coping, just trying to resist eating is going to be very hard. And likely not too successful. Meditate, run, yoga, write in a journal - whatever works for you. And you may have to try several things before you find what works.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Why not just eat healther foods, large salads, lots of water, nuts, try to cut out some wheat products and you might see a difference there? That's what I've been doing. Also, I drink a lot of herbal teas.

I was pretty much going to say this. I decided that eating wasn't the problem. The problem was what I was eating. So, I stress eat carrots, or a big salad. Or homemade carrot soup (no cream, lots of spices though) or I will have a cup of tea. If I am really feeling like indulging a cup of homemade hot cocoa made with Splenda instead of sugar. The other thing is if I feel like stress eating and it's close enough to meal time I will just go ahead and make my regular meal and plan a low calorie snack a few hours later to bridge the gap between my regular dinner time so that I don't get way off track with my schedule.
  • indigo_sky
    indigo_sky Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I used to do a lot of stress eating while studying as well. One thing that helped was that I switched to flossing my teeth while studying instead. No calories & good for your teeth!