bump
  • queenbear5
    queenbear5 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    bump
  • stinamarie17
    stinamarie17 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    bump... the BF and I loooooove mexican food, but we've been cutting out the tortillas lately.. gotta try this
  • JuliaWomp
    JuliaWomp Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend makes these all the time! I had always just figured they were the same amount of calories as a pita or tortilla.. Glad to know they aren't!

Normal tortillas have gobs of lard (traditionally) and like... crisco or something if they're from the store. That's the difference :P
  • ajhugz
    ajhugz Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    thank you, i'm going to try this!
  • acora
    acora Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    bump
  • vlmay1955
    vlmay1955 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Just a quick update:

I made these with Bob's Red Mill low carb baking mix and with King Arthurs White whole wheat flour.

Both were 50 calories with slightly different macros. The low carb ones were ok (6g verses 9g carbs), chewier and didn't spread out as much. Anyone familiar with this mix knows the flavor.

I really liked the white whole wheat ones. They spread thinner and now I have a good reason to buy one of those tortilla presses I always eye ball. The tortilla spread fine with a roller but got a little more rustic as I tried to lift it and ripped in places. I will definitely be making these again!

Get a tortilla press (cast iron) you will love it! The cast iron ones are a little more expensive but gosh we LOVE ours and it turns out perfect tortillas. Just made up a bunch today and filled with Sparkpeople Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken - awesome!!!!
  • chimbleysweep
    Options
    bump for later! :)
  • goldylocs37
    goldylocs37 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Ole makes a tortilla called Xtreme Wellness weighing in (just had to say that :smile:) at 68 calories, 2 fat, 8 protein, 12 fiber. I've found that's a hard one to beat given how big they are, the high fiber and protein. They come in tomato basil (68 calories), spinach herb (72). They also make a wheat one that was my favorite, but they just recently changed the label from 68 calories to 100 or 110. I eat these three to four times a day. Available at some Walmart SuperCenters. 8 per pack at @ 2.98. I order mine online for the same price, put them in the freezer, till I'm ready for another package. Awesome as a sweet treat heated in a skillet with a little spray butter, truvia, and cinnamon. Lately I've been baking an apple in the microwave with cinnamon and truvia and rolling it up in the tortilla. It's soooo good. Been eating them so long, I can't even taste the tomato basil anymore, just like eating a regular flour tortilla.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    i found at fairway "maria and ricardo's" low carb, low fat wheat tortillas for 45 calories each.. used them for my lunch yesterday :)
  • akopesky
    akopesky Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Bump to keep
  • taniasteinbruegge
    Options
    bump
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    these sound lovely!
  • bbyrley
    bbyrley Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I thought this sounded worth while, but a 1/4 cup of flour is 100 calories, so how can the tortillas be less than 50 calories each?
  • homecamp
    homecamp Posts: 17
    Options
    can't wait to try!! Thanks! Love mexican food!
    :love:
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    ooh i wonder how they'd be with oat flour...just because i think it's fun to try different grains
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sowenby1984
    sowenby1984 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MollieA912
    MollieA912 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Bump