Bad day..

Options
So, today at work an outpatient walked onto my unit while I was at the desk mistaking it for the clinic where he had an appt. I explained to him where the correct area was.. blah blah.

HOWEVER, then the dude proceeds to tell me that "You need to exercise" My response.. Why do you think that? *with a smile remaining on my face* His response, "Because you work at one of the busiest hospitals in the nation and the hospital holds health highly and since you work here you need to represent that".. and I still smile.. and then he thanks me

and goes on his merry way..

....not knowing that his comments REALLY hurt my feelings. This guy knows NOTHING about me. He doesnt know I AM exercising or that I have lost weight. I have been overweight my WHOLE life and so has my family. Ugh, I struggle so badly with my weight AND my low self esteem. Needless to say, I am feeling really down.

Replies

• Maximumresults
    Options
    I'm sorry you had that experience...keep doing what's right for you and surround yourself with positive people...all the best!
  • scarrie2
    scarrie2 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    don't let people like that ruin your progress. You're right, he DOESN'T know you or your background and he is obviously a miserable person himself to say something like that to you.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Agree...he is very unhappy with himself. What he did was uncalled for. Just keep doing things right like you have been. :flowerforyou:
  • geckospot
    geckospot Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    So sorry that fella decided to share his negativitiy with you. Have you ever seen this blog; http://danceswithfat.wordpress.com/

She's into health and acceptance rather than the Hollywood ideal. Love her profile pic - I'm certainly not that flexible!

Have a glass of water, take a deep breath, and start fresh tomorrow.
  • anastasiabeaver
    anastasiabeaver Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm very sorry that happened to you. I saw that tv anchor address a bully like that on television. If you haven't seen it , Youtube weight and tv personality local.
    I'm Jacque. I'm a cardiac RN. If you ever wanted attention about your weight, work here. My colleagues run marathons and sometimes I feel like I'm a warning to patients.
    But the truth is... I'm an inspiration. Because you and I represent the real strength and best example of those who try.
    We are more like most - in that we aren't perfect, but we're getting healthy.
    Every day you rack up exercise, you're doing more than 50% of the adult population.
    Every day you don't eat fast food, that's a day where you aren't like 60% of the adult population.
    Getting healthy while being larger, is 10x better than being slim- with clogged arteries, or a crappy attitude.
    You leave guys like today by the side of the road on your way home.
    That's what i do. I just imagine the bad parts/patients/people being dropped off and not coming home with me. And then I get excited because I can't wait to swim tomorrow, or go dance at aerobics.
    Hang in there.
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Don't let ignorant comments from a stranger bring you down. Obviously you are healthier than he is since you're there because you are an employee, not a patient. :wink:
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    The TRUTH. Cuts like a knife.

Imagine what he DIDN'T say to you.

You mean something like, "Sorry for being a massive neanderthal," right? The OP is working towards her goal and making progress; no need for her to hear "the TRUTH" from some uncouth IDIOT.
  • Marcellus_08
    Options

You mean something like, "Sorry for being a massive neanderthal," right? The OP is working towards her goal and making progress; no need for her to hear "the TRUTH" from some uncouth IDIOT.

I thought the same thing. What a douche.
  • yocupcake
    yocupcake Posts: 32
    Options
    Not sure how people get through life just saying whatever comes to their little pea brain head. They chalk it up to speaking their mind. Noooo its not cool. Usually they are covering for a large inadequacy but in his case its a very small one. I'm sorry he said that to you honey. He's a horrible person & is probably going to hell. Feel better.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options

Life AIN'T all rainbows and unicorns kids.
  • Tercob
    Tercob Posts: 151 Member
    Options

FEEL ME!!!!!!!!!!

• Marcellus_08
    Options

Its called being nice and understanding towards her situation.
  • Tercob
    Tercob Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Your are on your way to being healthy, your changing. He will always be a jerk!
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options

What is wrong with you? :huh:

P.S. to pg3ibew just to be clear. I hate these quotes within quotes where it's hard to know who said what.
  • pg3ibew
    Options

I totally undertand her situation. I have been called a fat *kitten* my entire life. It sucks. But, you know what, it WAS the truth.
  • pg3ibew
    Options

What is wrong with you? :huh:

Nothing at all.
  • Jenrosa28
    Jenrosa28 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    This week was supposed to start off as my 3 month workout and healthy living plan, but since its dental assistant appreciation week i have yet to eat healthy nor workout!!! And today was killer!!! Homemade breakfast, store bought donuts, coffee with creamer and all sorts of goodies!!! I really need help getting back into my routine again, its so bad that i dont feel like making my lunch for tomorrow!! Any suggestions on what to do??
  • Marcellus_08
    Options

I totally undertand her situation. I have been called a fat *kitten* my entire life. It sucks. But, you know what, it WAS the truth.

I'm sorry that happened to you. No one deserves to be called names. But she is clearly needing to vent and is hurt. Don't add to it. Even IF it were true. There is a time and a place for everything. A weight loss site isn't the place to do it. She's here for help, not to feel worse.
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    You behaved in a professional manner in that situation. Know that. Hold your head high, because you are doing what you need to in order to improve your health AND you have the self control to be polite and kind to people who don't share those skills with you. You rock!
  • yocupcake
    yocupcake Posts: 32
    Options
    If you can't say something nice how about keeping that crap in your head?