Adding ankle weights and dumbells to WATP 3 miles

Options
I want to start WATP, and I have 2/5 lb dumbells and 2/5 lb ankle weights. How much more beneficial is it by doing that? I Googled it and my head is spinning!

Thanks!

Replies

• iceman7840
    iceman7840 Posts: 110
    Options
    I have had amazing results walking with weighted vest everyday. I started low at 10 lbs and worked my way up to 50 lb so I know walking with weight helps a lot.

As far as weight in your hands and ankles vs a vest...I don't know. Mine is strapped to my chest and back. I'd say any weight is better than nothing at all.
  • kitty_764
    kitty_764 Posts: 64
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Don't use ankle weights for anything other that sitting weight lifting. It puts a lot of strain on your knees and hips and can lead to permanent injury. Ankle weights should never be used while walking, running or other cardio.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what WATP is, but doing any exercise besides leg lifts while wearing ankle weights is generally a bad idea. Puts stress on your joints in places that aren't suited for it.
  • kitty_764
    Options
    Walking Away the Pounds
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    anything over a pound or maybe 2 puts stress on your joints and can really cause some painful issues because of the weight being at the 'end' of your arm/leg so when you swing/step it is putting pressure on joints in ways they are not meant for.
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Most studies I've seen show that people tend to walk slower when wearing these things, so it evens out calorie wise. Plus, you're not really getting any strength gains by doing so, and since there is a greater likelihood of muscle strain as DavPul suggested, I'd say the negatives outweigh any potential positives.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I want to start WATP, and I have 2/5 lb dumbells and 2/5 lb ankle weights. How much more beneficial is it by doing that? I Googled it and my head is spinning!

Thanks!

Why not just wear a backpack?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Don't use ankle weights for anything other that sitting weight lifting. It puts a lot of strain on your knees and hips and can lead to permanent injury. Ankle weights should never be used while walking, running or other cardio.

^This. If you want to add weight put something heavy in a hiking backpack and go.
  • kitty_764
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I love the backpack idea!