In a diet, is there any place for Beer?

Options
13»

Replies

• tadjo
    tadjo Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Man no one is more qualified to make the choice than you. If one can drink and still drop lbs great, if not it’s a sacrifice one might need to make.
  • mkeller234
    mkeller234 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, beer always has been and always will be a part of my lifestyle. Hit your macros and plan ahead. Either skip some of the other carbs throughout the day. Or, run a couple extra miles and drink back those exercise calories. :drinker: Just don't do it everyday. :laugh:

What is my macros?

If I had one serious addiction.... it's soda, not beer. I've cut that out entirely because I can't drink just a little.
  • morey3ml
    morey3ml Posts: 19
    Options
    Everything in Moderation! :) Also, beer is good for your heart, and can contribute a good amount of tannins and antioxidants. Just track the calories as close as possible and enjoy!
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you ....... btw, I took a peek at your diary ...... IT'S AWESOME !

And yes, an occasional beer fits in, no problem :drinker:
  • dperich1968
    dperich1968 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Run long and drink more wine.

I always try to leave room for wine. Moderation is the key.
  • dperich1968
    dperich1968 Posts: 235 Member
    Options

Love the craft beers also. Lost Abbey one of my favorites. Found an organic chocolate stout at BevMo. Wow, awesome.
  • mrsgeneric
    mrsgeneric Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    If it fits drink it! If it doesnt... Make it work! I always make sure i have enough calories left over for whiskey and a can of ginger ale
  • danibu98
    danibu98 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Oh, and that Miller 64 tastes like crap and it has half the alcohol of a normal beer. Don't bother with it.

No worries, not gonna happen! I'm a beer snob!

I'm not only a beer snob- but a craft beer and wine sales rep for my career- giving it up is not an option, not that I would want to! I've been successful so far by working it in. I also have what I call "work" alcohol calories that happen in the course of my normal day, and I log it!
  • danibu98
    danibu98 Posts: 281 Member
    Options

Love the craft beers also. Lost Abbey one of my favorites. Found an organic chocolate stout at BevMo. Wow, awesome.

Was that Organic Choc Stout from Sam Smith? I don't sell it but man that stuff is delicious and well made :)
  • tenajh
    tenajh Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    been looking at the forums, this is the third different thread I've seen about desiriing alcohol, must be the weather :) Cheers my friend and bottoms up! btw, the first thread was mine I think, I din't look too deep, glad I am not alone.
  • mkeller234
    mkeller234 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you ....... btw, I took a peek at your diary ...... IT'S AWESOME !

And yes, an occasional beer fits in, no problem :drinker:

Thank you! The best part is, I am enjoying my weekly meals so much more than past diets. In the past my healthy foods were always so bland. I found all of the recipes at sugarfreemom.com, that site is wonderful.

I started this for my daughter, to cook her nutritious meals. Now it's for both of us.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Most certainly yes. I have one bottle of large format craft beer every single night. I've been doing this for almost 2 years and have lost 82lbs in the process. Check my diary if you don't believe me, I've logged almost 800 of them. It's even the reason why I started exercising initially, to give myself some buffer room in my daily calories. Now I enjoy exercise as a result and do it 5 days a week. Win/win.

By the way, your screen name reminds me of Mikkeller. ;)
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Of course.

Most of the year I just drink one or two here and there.

But during football season...When my Packers are playing, I take care of a 6 pack. Have to save up calories all week to be near 1K extra space for the week, but it is oh so worth it.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, always room for beer if the calories allow!! Just don't do what I used to do and get so pissed that you don't care and eat a load of crap with it!!
  • pjizba
    pjizba Posts: 3
    Options
    I drink beer very frequently and am also a fan of full bodied brews, IPAs and cask/barrel aged are my favorites. I have lost over 100lb (some before MFP) and have continued to to enjoy beer for most of the time. I did add an extra section to my diary called "beer" that helps me keep track of alcohol calories better. When i want to loose more weight i usually cut down on the beer intake but it mostly because i tend to eat more if i have a little to much to drink.
  • ElectricPics
    ElectricPics Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This is my 3rd go-round the old diet wheel. This time my food has been totally different. I'm not relying on packaged or "diet" foods, this time I am cooking meals. I am not only trying to watch calories, but trying to eat foods that are really good for me. So far, so great! The food has been satisfying and kept my interest.

So, if I am full.... and I have a good heaping amount of calories left in a day.... is it all that bad to fit in a good 12oz craft brew? I don't mean everyday, say maybe 3 or 4 times a month. I am not a heavy drinker, but I like full beers. I've got some Fat Heads Oompa Loompa stout and am really eager to give it a try.

Have a look at my food diary if you like, it's public.

Mmmm. Beer! Of course there's room for a beer or two, but I feel much better enjoying a beer if I've worked off plenty of calories first. Beer is good for you as long as you don't go crazy.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/43816-beer-nutrition-information/
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    beer is good.. beer is good.. beer is good.. and stuff...

beer is good.. beer is good.. beer is good.. and stuff..

let's go drink some beeeeeeeerr.. beeerrrr..

the darker the better.. mmmmm beer.. is it friday yet??
  • ecogranny
    ecogranny Posts: 24
    Options
    No reason why not, so long as its a treat and fits in with your calories.......and know what you will enjoy it all the more when you are not having it regularly.. My husband has lost 33lbs since November and as an ex rugby player has always enjoyed a pint and still does but here in France beer is served in much smaller quantities. Heineken comes in a 25cl/250ml bottle - thats small. When our son comes from Uk he often puts 2 bottles in a glass. Great thing about smaller sizes is that a) it keeps cooler in the searing heat of summer and b) after 4 bottles its 4 beers but not 4 big ones. Good luck.