Hard Liquor and Increased Metabolism - Yes or No????

Options
Ok, so I have read many articles online contradicting one another regarding weight loss and the consumption of hard liquor such as vodka, gin, etc. Some say you can gain weight/stop weight loss because your body starts to burn the empty alcohol calories instead of food calories and others say it actually speeds your up metabolism and increases how many calories you burn. Now remember I am only speaking in regards to hard liquors with no carbs or sugars. So what I wanted to ask you guys is if anybody has drank hard liquor while trying to maintain a weight loss program and still lost weight. Also if you could specify if you were on a workout regimen also. Thanks everybody and I hope to hear from you all!!

Replies

• mrsgeneric
    mrsgeneric Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I like my glass of whiskey at night and so far since feb 16 i lost 5 pounds ive just been watching what i eat and making sure i have enough room in my calories for 1 or 2 drinks... Its been ok for me... I also go to the gym any wrre from 3-5 times a week for 1 -2 hours
  • bubingadrummer
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I just can’t believe 6 shots of vodka is 700+ calories!
  • rushikareddy
    rushikareddy Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I just can’t believe 6 shots of vodka is 700+ calories!
    Lol then it's good thing i hate alcohol!
  • mrsgeneric
    mrsgeneric Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    3 shots of crown royal is 207 and so is weisers canadian whiskey... It adds up fast lol
  • jackiecamarena
    jackiecamarena Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I haven't read anything about alcohol and metabolism, but I know my friends think alcohol helps them lose weight after a long night of drinking. It is purely dehydration though. :tongue:
  • ukstarlight05
    Options
    I'm not gonna lie, I do love my drinks. I love my rum & diet cola (it's actually Coke Zero but I often go generic). I've been able to maintain my weight over the past 3-4 months and, although I feel like I am a "fatty." most of my friend say I look pretty good. I'm actually on a cheer&dance team called the "Beerleaders". The louder you cheer the more we drink - that's the slogan. And we do drink - for real. And we party - hard - after the derby bouts.

I go to the gym on average 6 times a week, and run approximately 17-20 miles a week. I also have about 5 hrs of dance/cheer practice a week, so I get a lot of cardio. I know if I didn't drink at all I would lose 2 lbs but my life is far too stressful. I'd rather run an extra 5 miles at the gym....
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    It would be awesome if hard liqueur increased metabolism and if we could actually increase our metabolism to such a degree that we could eat over our daily energy expenditure without gaining weight. I have heard, also, not to count alcohol in the same way I do food for some magic metabolic reason. Instead, I do enjoy vodka and/ or wine every day, but I count the calories like I do with everything else I consume. And based on my calorie expenditure and weight loss, this has been accurate.
  • kimastbury
    kimastbury Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It would be awesome if hard liqueur increased metabolism and if we could actually increase our metabolism to such a degree that we could eat over our daily energy expenditure without gaining weight. I have heard, also, not to count alcohol in the same way I do food for some magic metabolic reason. Instead, I do enjoy vodka and/ or wine every day, but I count the calories like I do with everything else I consume. And based on my calorie expenditure and weight loss, this has been accurate.

This is my approach too and it has worked for me. I exercise 2-3 days a week.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Vodka is 60 calories so I fit it into my diary and move on. I've lost 18 so far.
    I also do SOME form of exercise every day.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    People probably think it speeds up metabolism because they feel warm/flushed, but really it wont help you at all. Alcohol doesn't directly cause you to gain weight, but regular consumption has been linked to decreased insulin sensitivity, and if you are insulin resistant, you will tend to easily gain weight. There was a study that showed a link between alcohol intake and ghrelin also: since ghrelin is linked with hunger satiation signalling, this could make you feel more hungry and eat more. Also, alcohol uptake is faster than other calorie sources and the metabolic pathway is different than fat metabolism, this will cause your body to preferentially burn the alcohol and stop burning fat while its around. Not only that, but the empty calories you ingest from it wont help your weight loss just as any soda or eating a few teaspoons of sugar wont.

You can as the other poster said factor in enough calories in your daily food intake so that you have room left over at the end of the day for it. But its sure not going to help, and probably will still hinder you at least a little bit :) That being said, if you really have a hard time going without, but can control your drinking strictly (warning: every alcoholic thinks so), its probably better to factor in the calories into your daily intake and have one drink, than it is to completely go without and go off diet completely. For myself and an anecdotal example: I am not an alcoholic, nor do I have to have a drink every night, but when I do, I notice I lose less, feel worse the next day and tend to exercise less, and even when I do get myself to go lift anyways, my lifts are worse, so I try not to drink generally.
  • bubingadrummer
    Options
    You are all amazing! Thanks for giving me some feedback. Looks like I will still enjoy my drinks at night and to moderation while counting the calories as long as I keep up my workouts and low carb diet!
  • kimastbury
    kimastbury Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    People probably think it speeds up metabolism because they feel warm/flushed, but really it wont help you at all. Alcohol doesn't directly cause you to gain weight, but regular consumption has been linked to decreased insulin sensitivity, and if you are insulin resistant, you will tend to easily gain weight. There was a study that showed a link between alcohol intake and ghrelin also: since ghrelin is linked with hunger satiation signalling, this could make you feel more hungry and eat more. Also, alcohol uptake is faster than other calorie sources and the metabolic pathway is different than fat metabolism, this will cause your body to preferentially burn the alcohol and stop burning fat while its around. Not only that, but the empty calories you ingest from it wont help your weight loss just as any soda or eating a few teaspoons of sugar wont.

You can as the other poster said factor in enough calories in your daily food intake so that you have room left over at the end of the day for it. But its sure not going to help, and probably will still hinder you at least a little bit :) That being said, if you really have a hard time going without, but can control your drinking strictly (warning: every alcoholic thinks so), its probably better to factor in the calories into your daily intake and have one drink, than it is to completely go without and go off diet completely. For myself and an anecdotal example: I am not an alcoholic, nor do I have to have a drink every night, but when I do, I notice I lose less, feel worse the next day and tend to exercise less, and even when I do get myself to go lift anyways, my lifts are worse, so I try not to drink generally.

Um.... definitely NOT an alcoholic! I don't drink every day, I was referring to counting the calories into my daily limit! And be careful throwing that word around so carelessly.... my father is an alcoholic, and there are bad memories there.

Try not to judge people when you don't know them.
  • cplanoue41
    cplanoue41 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have lost almost 30 lbs in about 4 months and have not given up drinking. I record everything in my diary and make room for the calories. I work out 3-4 times a weeks pretty heavy and just drink on the weekend. I actually find it motivating to me to see the dehydration weigh in the next day. It shows me where I can be and pushes me harder every week. I am not saying that I advise this approach to anyone but, it is just how I have been able to still enjoy myself while I lose weight. I drink vodka and club soda usually and a few beers. I calculate some for one night and push the rest after midnight the next day. It makes me watch my calories for two days instead of just the one.

(Insert the alcohol will kill you my body is a temple crowd here)

Could I lose weight faster if I didn't drink? Probably.....would I go insane defiantly!
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options

Um.... definitely NOT an alcoholic! I don't drink every day, I was referring to counting the calories into my daily limit! And be careful throwing that word around so carelessly.... my father is an alcoholic, and there are bad memories there.

Try not to judge people when you don't know them.

^agreed. I kind of took it that way too.
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I haven't read anything about alcohol and metabolism, but I know my friends think alcohol helps them lose weight after a long night of drinking. It is purely dehydration though. :tongue:

Yep this.. I am always lighter the next day, could be dehydration, could be the puking, could be the crazy long night of dancing in heels. IDK, but I am always lighter and I don't gain.