I want to ride my bicycle

Options
Well, first I need to get a bicycle and I want some advice.

I'm looking for a used street bike. Something light so I don't mind carrying it up to my 3rd floor apartment.

What are some good brands? What should I look for? What should I avoid?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Replies

• lcedmond
    lcedmond Posts: 15
    Options
    1. Set a budget. Hard to steer you to something without some idea of budget.
    2. Look for one that fits.
    3. The rider is more important than the bike. A good athlete on a low end bike can still fly.
    4. Avoid any that that won't roll.

There are lots of possibilities. Single speed cruisers can be a blast and are very simple. If your area is hilly, these may not be ideal.

Stop by your Local Bike Shop to get some good guidance. They should ask a lot of questions since there are a myriad of different possibilities.

Asking what bike I should buy can really only be answered by: It depends.
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Thanks.
    My budget is "cheep". I live in Brooklyn, bike theft is a huge problem here. So I don't want anything "flashy" and I also don't want to be super pissed if it gets stolen. I'll be less pissed about a losing $200 bike than a $600 bike. I plan on buying used, probably off craigslist so I guess I was just curious if anybody had input as far as what materials to look for (like for the frame), maybe good brands... brands that are reliable, like even though it is 10 years old, the brand is so reliable, that it is ok.
    I'll probably also stop in some shops here and get advice, just thought I'd throw this out there and see what bounces back.
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I bike commute so most of my riding is on the street, but I don't have a "street" bike. I bought a used hybrid cruiser for $175.00 from a local bike shop. It's not exactly light but I can lift it onto bike racks on public transportation. I'd recommend finding a good bike shop with trustworthy employees and test riding a few used bikes. They should be able to point you in the right direction based on your budget and needs.

Good luck!

ETA: I also recommend learning how to repair and maintain your bike once you have one. It will save you on labor costs and it's really helpful to know how to fix a flat and get the chain back onto the cassette. I took a repair class at my bike shop and bought a manual.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    This got stuck in my head when I read the title. Not sure if it was intended or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwvWtZl2ICY
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    This got stuck in my head when I read the title. Not sure if it was intended or not.

It was intentional... sorry
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options

It was intentional... sorry

No need to apologize I love that song lol.
  • 40mpw
    40mpw Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    My daily commuter is a Trek 7.1FX (http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/road/fitness/fx/7_1_fx/). It is a hybrid and cost me around $450 new 5 years ago. It is lightweight, which was critical when I had to bring it inside and up a flight of stairs every day a few years ago.

Besides craigslist and eBay, check out your local bike forums and bike shops and ask around about used bikes. There are shops that are dedicated to rebuilding older bikes, and you can get one for 250-500. The frame may show signs of wear, but other components will be new.

One other place to check, if you are not choosy, is a bike rental place. Once or twice a year they sell off all their rentals for cheap (under 300). They aren't beautiful, and they've got plenty of wear and tear, but they will get you from A to B for less money.

I know you are in NY, but for anyone in the DC area that is reading this:

The Old Bike Shop in Arlington, for vintage rebuilds
    Phoenix Bikes in DC, for used rebuilds
    Bike and Roll, who sells off rentals for nearly nothing, but infrequently
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i can ride my bike with no handle bars
  • aquaventure
    Options
    I live on a boat so a folding bike works for me. Make sure you have enough gears for the type of riding you will be doing. Give the bikes a good ride before buying. My husband bought his folding bike through eBay and I have trouble riding it due to my angle over the handlebars so do your test rides.
  • kaypat09
    kaypat09 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Bump!

Also looking into getting a bike.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    bicycle, bicycle, Bicycle race. I want to ride my bi cy cle, I want to ride my bike. I want to ride my bi cy cle I want to ride it where I like............................gyah...
  • Stacy574
    Stacy574 Posts: 58
    Options
    I am so relieved that someone else knew that song I was trying to figure out how to point out that the song went through my head immediately when I read the topic!
  • eowynmn
    eowynmn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I actually love that song, but not in my head *side eye*
  • xDawnsgrace
    xDawnsgrace Posts: 436
    Options

That's exactly what happened to me! I was like.. "QUEEN??"
  • Rockytop_relic
    Rockytop_relic Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Consider some older bikes like RALEIGH, FUJI or PEUGEOT. You'll save a lot by buying an 80's model and most are great bikes.