Reached target - what now?

kellster111
kellster111 Posts: 113 Member
I have been on my weight loss journey for almost 3 years, I gave myself small targets and when I reached them reset, I am now down to 124lbs from 171lbs, i'm 5ft 2ins. Very proud of what I have achieved but I feel lost now. I'm worried with no target to aim for I will start to regain the weight.
My body doesn't look how I imagined it would! Should I try and lose another 7lbs and see how I feel or try to tone up more by lifting more weights?

Decisions, decisions.
:huh: :huh: :huh:

Replies

• tammyc226
    tammyc226 Posts: 158 Member
    congrats on all your hard work. I would suggest trying to tone up rather than losing more weight:flowerforyou:
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    You deserve to be proud. :smile:

You are at a healthy weight. I would switch to maintenance and start lifting those weights. You may lose another 7lb and still not be happy.

If you feel you need a goal, then use lifting or measurement goals rather than the scale.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    That's awesome!!!! I want to be like you.

Now, you get to eat at Maintenance.. and eat back exercise calories with NO fear. I can't wait to be you some day :)
  • Bejaem
    Bejaem Posts: 1 Member
    First off a big congrats and well done. I would like to suggest to you that you do really have a target to aim for but it requires a small change of thinking. Your target should be to maintain your weight for the rest of your life. Successfully losing your weight should be your motivation that you KNOW you will also be a success at maintaining your weight. I will reach my goal very very shortly and be starting out on what I hope to be my next lifelong target. A journey I am both worried and excited about at the same time. Worried because I have failed in the past but excited because I have a new weapon in my arsenal and so do you. It's myfitnesspal and i suspect like me you have learned so much about the food you eat and the calories it delivers. With this knowledge you now have the wisdom and the motivation of your success to drive you forward to yet more success. I want to wish you well on achieving your next lifelong target. :wink:
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Make a new target
  • nguk123
    nguk123 Posts: 223
    How about setting yourself new targets, only have them be strength/fitness targets this time around?
  • IsleEsme
    IsleEsme Posts: 175 Member
    Great job on your loss. Now you need to set new goals. I reached my goal and decided I wanted MORE. Toning (for me) was it! Now I cut back on cardio and do a lot more weights. If toning isn't your thing than mabe look into advanced nutrition? What else can you come up with (new recipes, newdifferent foods you've never thought about??) to keep yourself interested. I think keeping yourself interested/motivated is key.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,656 Member
    I have been on my weight loss journey for almost 3 years, I gave myself small targets and when I reached them reset, I am now down to 124lbs from 171lbs, i'm 5ft 2ins. Very proud of what I have achieved but I feel lost now. I'm worried with no target to aim for I will start to regain the weight.
    My body doesn't look how I imagined it would! Should I try and lose another 7lbs and see how I feel or try to tone up more by lifting more weights?

Decisions, decisions.

Congratulations!!!

Continue logging your food and exercise. You are now onto maintenance and it is not as easy as people think it will be.
  • ruwise
    ruwise Posts: 265 Member
    Congratulations on reaching your target now the hard work begins staying there! That is the hardest part I can tell you that from experience. I'd would just set new targets such as body fat %, or fitness targets and keep weighing yourself at least every other week to keep an eye on things.

For today though just enjoy the fact that you got there and be proud of yourself!
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    make new goals, how can you ever be "done"?
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    My body doesn't look how I imagined it would!

I bet. I don't understand those weight targets as they just focus on weight not bodyfat percentages. (I only keep my sig there for amusement value - I busted through my target and kept losing but still didn't look like what I wanted to.) Do you just look like a smaller version of the original you?

What do you want to achieve? Athletic look? Waif?
  • Hazel2005
    Hazel2005 Posts: 175 Member
    You do the Dance of Joy of course!

http://youtu.be/GfPg5LjGYz8

Sorry, I don't know how to post a cool video, just the link :sad:
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Congratulations. I'm almost at a similar point to you. I think the way to keep going is to set new targets. Maybe they are not weight targets. Maybe its "run a half marathon" or "do a pull up" or something else but I think making new fitness and health goals is a good way to proceed away from the scale :)

Well done!
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    work on body composition. lift heavy. New Rules of Lifting for Women or Stronglifts are popular choices.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Congratulations! What about setting some fitness goals that have nothing to do with weight loss, but everything to do with doing things you enjoy, things you've always wanted to try? Maybe things like competing in runs, biking, dance, hiking (the Appalachian Trail is one of my future goals), things like that. Shift focus from changing your body to enjoying it.
  • travlinjess
    travlinjess Posts: 243 Member

You are at a healthy weight. I would switch to maintenance and start lifting those weights. You may lose another 7lb and still not be happy.

If you feel you need a goal, then use lifting or measurement goals rather than the scale.

^^This, 100%, plain & simple!!
  • Trollivier
    Trollivier Posts: 67 Member
    I'm following program for "weight loss". The quotes are because we don't have a weight loss goal. The ultimate goal is more like getting rid of visceral fat, and be in better shape.

But everyone in the group has some goal that has nothing to do with numbers, weight or anything.
    Mine was to be able to jog, and to do some martial art.

When I started, I was at 345 lbs, so I couldn't jog or do any martial art.

Right not, at 283lbs, I can jog. Slowly, it doesn't last long, but i'm getting there. I subscribed to two runs this summer : one 5km and one 10km. I might not even jog all the time but I don't care.

I know I'm not ready for martial arts. Not supple, still too heavy. That's my next goal. It'll happen when it'll happen, and has nothing to do with the number of pounds I lost.

Hope it helps :)
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member

^ This - it should be about the health as opposed to a scale # anyway. Toning very well make you a lot happier with the way you look than losing 7 more pounds. Also, what happens when you lose the 7 & decide you're still not happy with how you look because you're still not toned? Do you try to lose even more? Be most concerned with being healthy & how you feel, everything else is secondary.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member

Decisions, decisions.

Go to Cheesecake Factory to celebrate, then be back to 130 again. Then you will have your 124lb goal to get to again.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Well done - you have every right to be proud of yourself.

The way I regard it is that getting to goal weight is just the end of phase 1.
    Phase 2 is to maintain in a good weight range while focussing on health and fitness.

I've set myself a load of goals, some short-term some long-term.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!