Strength training - how long does it take you?

Options
micheleb15
micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
I do strength training 4 days a week alternating upper and lower. I can usually knock it out in 20-25 min with no more than a 30-45 sec rest between reps. I have some friends that spend about an hour on weights. Time means nothing to me as long as my training program for the day is complete. How long does it take you to complete your weight training in the gym? Just curious.

Replies

• mich1902
    mich1902 Posts: 182
    Options
    I was around 40-45 mins this morning. I'm just a newbie and following a full body workout 3 x per week just now. Hope to split the days up tho between lower and upper body once I move from barbie weight tho ha.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Madcow's 5x5, but only the big lifts, not any accessory work. It takes me anywhere from 25-30 minutes depending, and that includes loading and unloading the bar for each set. I'm not at the gym, though, I'm at home. I know my husband take longer, but he also is lifting pretty incredibly heavy, so he takes more time in between sets than I do. He uses the gym.

When I was doing a full body routine with 5 big lifts, it would take me around 45 minutes.
  • Whipppets
    Whipppets Posts: 267
    Options
    I do body pump which is an hr 4x a week.. also throughout the day I do up to 1000 push ups.. Whenever I have a free second I jump down and do some PUs. I have found old fashioned push ups and sit ups will change your body fastest.
  • DojoMaster888
    DojoMaster888 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Just depends on the day I guess. Some days I feel like I can conquer the world so I go till I hit that point of failure. Other days I can barely squeeze out one rep before I feel like collapsing. My average is usually 1.5 hrs thats with 30 min of cardio at least.
  • mohojojo
    mohojojo Posts: 26
    Options
    For legs it takes me about 45 minutes. All other parts roughly 30 minutes. I saw no added benefit to working out any longer.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    About an hour to an hour and a half depending on what I'm doing.

I work one muscle group a day and alternate abs and legs. On the day where legs are cycled in my weight workout is more towards the 1.5 hour time.

Yesterday I did only two ab exercises along with chest and my weight workout was 40 minutes.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    That sounds about right to me. My 4 workouts/week take 25-30 minutes each. If you lift hard you can get it done, unless you have to wait on equipment or you're chatting it up.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I do full body 3x a week and it takes about an hour.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    dup post...
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Give or take 30 minutes.

Honestly, I could never do it for more than 45 minutes. I am hating every moment of it and cherish the thought of finishing. An hour would make me NOT do it.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Upper Body x3/week - 60-70 minutes
    Legs x1-2/week - 45-60 minutes
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I work two body parts a session, 4 times a week. I'm usually done in 45 minutes.
  • carlom18
    carlom18 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    SS takes me 1 hour to 1hour and 15 mins to complete, alternating workouts A and B, 3 times a week (2 times starting next week due to study and other commitments.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Deload week = 25-30 minutes.

Normal week = 45-60 minutes.
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    20 - 30 mins depending on what workout, i don't see the point in doing an hour, i set a pace to make sure i'm not 'droping' the weights on the return of a rep so there's resistance both ways and keep it up, i dont rest, i do a circuit

curls - shrugs - tricep extensions - peck flies - curls - shrugs etc etc, i do 4 sets of each oh and i begin with 10 press ups and end with 10
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    I take longer rests on when I squat or deadlift, so two of my 3x week workouts are around an hour, while the other I knock out in about 40 mins
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I work out at home, in my own time. So it takes about an hour, and I sometimes rest too long between sets.
  • jpierc
    jpierc Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It takes me about an hour to do the weights, 3 times a week. I supplement this with a little cardio work on 3 other days just for fun (and the fact that even though I can squat over 2x my body weight, I get out of breath way too easy and that bothers me to no end.)

I love the weights and hate the cardio, but I have to do both apparently.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    60 mins doing stronglifts 5x5. Mainly because my weights have increased to heavy enough where I am needing more rest time. Compounds can be killer sometimes
  • MJ5898
    MJ5898 Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Relative noob here - I do 3 total body strength workouts per week. With a 30-45 sec rest between sets (usually spent changing weights or body position for the next set), I finish in around 40-45 mins. I am currently doing 3 sets of 10 for the major muscle groups (chest, back, shoulders, quads, hams and abs) and 2 sets of 10 for the smaller support muscles (bis, tris, forearms, calves).