Gym beginner

Options
HI there everyone .. I would be really grateful for some advice on something I know NOTHING about and I know there is heaps of experience here..

When I fly out to stay with my son next week I will be able to use the gym, pool and hot tub on his complex and I intend to sit in the tub till I shrivel but would like to earn it first !

Please bear in mind I am an old decrepit lady (though I feel 30 years younger than I did this time last year) but I can now walk 3 miles, WITH ATTITUDE and small weights on my wrists and breathe properly at the same time....(never imagined I would ever be able to say that) ...where do I start?

I would particularly like to target the area between my eyebrows and ankles!! Any advice on an introduction to the gym is much appreciated... sitting in a hot tub, I already have covered! Thanks.

Replies

• JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    you're not far gone yet - my mum has 5 years on you and started exercising regularly only 2 years ago. It really depends on what equipment there is, but I would suggest to always warm up a bit, so use the treadmill for about 20mins (or whatever you're comfortable with) to get the blood flowing before trying weights. There is no harm in trying what's on hand there (again, I don't know so hard to say) and just keep the weights low. If there is someone that can help you to make sure you're doing the exercises correctly that would be even better!

Remember to try and do 10 reps with 3 sets i.e. 10 pushes, 10second break, and repeat 3 times on each machine. At the end of each set you should be starting to struggle a little (this is a GOOD thing). But again, don't strain yourself too much.

Gaining muscle will be helpful for strengthening your bones as well and preventative for osteoperosis etc.

You'll probably be sore the net day after using muscles you aren't used to using so don't freak out, that's totally normal :) just listen to your body and don't do anything outside of your ability!
  • nannybubbles
    Options
    you're not far gone yet - my mum has 5 years on you and started exercising regularly only 2 years ago. It really depends on what equipment there is, but I would suggest to always warm up a bit, so use the treadmill for about 20mins (or whatever you're comfortable with) to get the blood flowing before trying weights. There is no harm in trying what's on hand there (again, I don't know so hard to say) and just keep the weights low. If there is someone that can help you to make sure you're doing the exercises correctly that would be even better!

Remember to try and do 10 reps with 3 sets i.e. 10 pushes, 10second break, and repeat 3 times on each machine. At the end of each set you should be starting to struggle a little (this is a GOOD thing). But again, don't strain yourself too much.

Gaining muscle will be helpful for strengthening your bones as well and preventative for osteoperosis etc.

You'll probably be sore the net day after using muscles you aren't used to using so don't freak out, that's totally normal :) just listen to your body and don't do anything outside of your ability!

thanks for taking the time to help.... i had no idea even how many so that's really useful... at least i can pretend to look as if I know what I am doing! this is going to sound like such a dumb question, but the machines with handles, are they cross trainers ... a bit like holding ski poles?

and looking at your profile I see u live in Japan... fascinating.. love the food and I also went to London to see a production of The Elephant Vanishes by Haruki Murakami.... without doubt the most amazing thing I have ever seen on a stage.. it was mind blowing.... it began with a Japanese lady just walking on stage to apologise for a delay... which of course, never happened! it was brilliant. thanks again
  • mohojojo
    mohojojo Posts: 26
    Options
    check out www.shapefit.com
    They have lots of useful information. My favorite being the many different exercise with video showing how to do them.