Always hungry and drained!

Options
I don't get cravings for bad foods and I don't eat them. I can live without chips, chocolate, fried food, etc. However, I do struggle with constantly wanting to eat. I feel like my meals only satisfy me for about 45 min. after I eat them, and then I want to start eating again. I eat really high fiber and pretty high protein (usually really low fat too-- yesterday was an exception, I was doing an experiment)-- so I don't know why I'm always hungry. The last few days I've been eating all my exercise cals, and I'm still going to bed with a painfully empty stomach. I don't want to increase my calories though! Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Replies

• hannah_lin
    hannah_lin Posts: 54
    Options
    On a positive note, I have been losing like crazy though!!!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    If you're eating the right foods, it may be HOW you're eating them. Eat biggest to smallest throughout the day. Try for 400-500 calories at breakfast, and decrease the size as you go down to lunch and dinner. If you eat more early on in the day and then eat your last bit of food at dinner (or afterwards if you eat after dinner as well), you shouldn't be hungry. This works for me. :)

Another thing - without knowing how much you eat or exercise, I can't be sure, but you could have to increase your base calories.
  • evanbeek
    evanbeek Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Water.

I find that if I eat right and only drink a little water throughout the day, I feel hungry. If I keep a glass of water on my desk or a water bottle with me and drink from that throughout the day, all my hunger goes away, even with the exact same calories.
  • Tuckersn
    Tuckersn Posts: 149
    Options
    Nice! That you're dumping the weight!

I know, with me, if I don't get enough fat and protein in each meal, I will feel hungrier . . . I agree with the water bit too. Lots of water helps me feel fuller. Otherwise, if you know you're getting enough healthy calories, fat, protein and carbs . . . your stomach will shrink in time. And, you know, with the feeling drained part . . . a lack of carbs will do that to me. When I tried that Atkins diet, when it was so so popular a few years back . . . I could hardly function with minimal to no carbs, especially running and exercising hard, gotta replace the carbs.

Just random thoughts . . . I've been there, just fiddle with your diet, it'll work out.
  • jessicakate26
    Options
    I defintiely agree with the water! If I dont have enough water...I feel super sluggish and hungry! I have a 24oz bottle on my desk and just try to get 3 of those down a day while I am at work!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Protein, protein, protein. In my opinion, the levels MFP automatically set up are very low. I eat about twice that amount (30% of my cals) in protein. That works for me and seems to work for a lot of others as well (but everyone is different).

Also, be sure you're eating *enough.* 1200 net calories may not be enough for your body. I think you should consider eating more since you're feeling drained and hungry. Not to be a fear monger here, but if you're not giving your body enough fuel through food, a lot of that weight you're dumping could possibly be muscle. I mean, it's pretty inevitable that you'll lose at least some muscle mass, but if you're anything like me, you probably want to lose as little of it as possible.
  • hannah_lin
    hannah_lin Posts: 54
    Options
    Water.

I find that if I eat right and only drink a little water throughout the day, I feel hungry. If I keep a glass of water on my desk or a water bottle with me and drink from that throughout the day, all my hunger goes away, even with the exact same calories.
    This is something I can definitely improve on. I will really focus on this for the next few days and see how that goes!! :) Thanks!
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I don't get cravings for bad foods and I don't eat them. I can live without chips, chocolate, fried food, etc. However, I do struggle with constantly wanting to eat. I feel like my meals only satisfy me for about 45 min. after I eat them, and then I want to start eating again. I eat really high fiber and pretty high protein (usually really low fat too-- yesterday was an exception, I was doing an experiment)-- so I don't know why I'm always hungry. The last few days I've been eating all my exercise cals, and I'm still going to bed with a painfully empty stomach. I don't want to increase my calories though! Is there something I'm doing wrong?

The really low fat part stands out. Fat = sateity and helps to keep you full.