Are anti-deppressants making me fat?

Options
2»

Replies

• saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    When I was on it over a year ago, I packed on close to 40lbs. in the 3 months I was taking it...and my lifestyle and eating did not change at all. However, I don't remember the dose I was on and I also was NOT taking it every day; I was cyclying it and taking it for two weeks and the off of it for two weeks, which may have factored into it. I had a terrible time on the Prozac, weight gain aside. As another poster said, if you ever decide to come off of it, PLEASE consult with a physician, do NOT decide to take yourself off of it on your own. You do need to be weaned off. I ended up on an anti-anxiety medication for a month afterward because I came off of it on my own. Just my two cents worth!! :laugh:
  • dontpanic1984
    dontpanic1984 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    From what I've reseached, mostly because I hate medication and dont have medical coverage even if I didn't. University studies and many medical trials have been done that link Magnesium to better mood. The only reason doctors don't tell you this because they get kick backs for every mediciation they prescribe. And since Magnesium is a naturally accuring mineral Big Pharma can't patient it, therefore, they make no money off giving you simple dietary suppliments. But, Magnesium coupled with Calcium and Vitamin D have been link from everything like mood, stress, sleeplessness, and concentration.

Major note: I'm not a doctor, and what I say does have medical relevence, but consult your doctor about holistic and alternative treatments. It's important to remember that most doctors work for Big Pharma and will usually be against any kind of Herbal or dietary change, because it cuts into their bonuses. So be aware they'll give you the horror stories of not taking your medication. Just remember, anything that isn't naturally accuring on this planet (Fruits, vegetables, meats, grains, vitamins minerals, etc.) are chemicals, they are cooked up in a lab and will ALWAYS have unwarrented side effects.

I mean, didn't doctors use to prescribe Methamphetamine as a diet pill? I rest my case. I hope you do your own research and find a healthy alternative to chemically induced happiness, good luck. :)

Well, I'm pretty sure he had good cause to prescribe it to me. I went an entire summer locked up in my room, and I was convinced everyone hated me. And I am embarrassed to admit that I even tried to hurt myself :l So, Prozac is completely necessary for me to be normal, trust me.

a lot of people will try to convince you that you don't need anti depressants. unfortunately it seems that many people don't view anxiety and depression as being as serious as they are. keep on keepin on! suddenly quitting an anti-depressant can cause some serious (mostly emotional) side effects as your body adjusts to the sudden change in seratonin concentration.

if you've been on the same dosage for 2 years, i find it next to impossible that it's the meds all of a sudden. did you change the frequency or size of your meals? sodium intake increase? major change in activity level or schedule? it could be one of many things.

the best piece of advice i can give is to ask your doctor next time you go in. tell them all about what you're doing to try to control your weight and ask them if they have any idea what might be going on, or if they have any professional suggestions.

good luck, and stay healthy!
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Here is my opinion on the subject. I have been living with depression for most of my life, it started in puberty and flaired up throughout the years.I know it can be very disabeling and I don't treat it as a " just get over it already "desease I have been on anti depressants a couple of times< but I am not a big pill taker and I do believe there are herbal treatments for depression. I am not sure if magnesium alone would do the trick, but I have found that for ME I do very well on an herbal supplement called 5HTP. The benefits that I like are: it's natural, has an appetite supressant ability, it works the same day, I am able to go to sleep and stay asleep and I can get it over the counter. I also have changed a lot of my mental outlook, no more pitty parties for me( seems like no one ever wanted to attend them) I try to be as kind to myself as possible ( no more " how stupid are you, or only I could act like that".... ) if I wouldn't say whatever to my best friend I wont tell it to myself!
    I have no idea if you gained weight because of the AD and it is up to you, but I for myself don't like to take any kind of medicine if I can find a herbal that does the same for me without the side affects. I had a DO who was very nice and understanding and he supported my quest in finding herbal ways to heal my body. Ok I'll put the soap box away and go back to my gardening
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Sorry,but you surely understand that chemical problems often demand chemical treatments? Im sure in the U.S people are overly medicated, however, if neurochemistry is the issue then chemical treatment is necessary. Fluoxetine is not "medically induced happiness", its an SSRI designed to balance levels of chemicals in the brain which may not be being produced/regulated as normal.
    There are just as many equivalents of "big pharma" in the holistic and homeopath industry, and its irresponsible to suggest that one should replace a properly tested approved drug with a natural supplement which has a "link" with feeling happy.
    Apologies for the rant or taking the topic off track.
    5HTP is a serotonin derrivative, which will be why its being recommended as an antidepressant.
  • de1amo
    de1amo Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    the sunflower seeds will be though--youre eating the wrong things!
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Sorry,but you surely understand that chemical problems often demand chemical treatments? Im sure in the U.S people are overly medicated, however, if neurochemistry is the issue then chemical treatment is necessary. Fluoxetine is not "medically induced happiness", its an SSRI designed to balance levels of chemicals in the brain which may not be being produced/regulated as normal.
    There are just as many equivalents of "big pharma" in the holistic and homeopath industry, and its irresponsible to suggest that one should replace a properly tested approved drug with a natural supplement which has a "link" with feeling happy.
    5HTP is a serotonin derrivative, which will be why its being recommended as an antidepressant.
    OK here are some things you might have misunderstood I never suggested she should NOT take her medicine, all I sugested was that there are other things out there that might have the same benefits as what she is taking now, with less side affects! Herbal remedies have been around for hundreds of years( both in Europe and in Asia), seem to work with a lot less side affects and I don't remember ever hearing about them recalling an herb, where they recall medicines dayly ( that induce heart attacs, form blood clots and induce strokes), no one new about when they were introduced. I am not sure why people are so against herbals over here , if you have a serious condition please talk to your doctor and see what he/she says. In Germany doctors do use herbals a lot and perscribe them liberally bevore they get out the big guns. A lot of the medicines nowadays are based on things in nature , Penecillin and Asperin just to name a few (one is made out of tree bark and the other is a fungus I think)
    And on the 5HTP, yes it is a form of Seratonin reuptake inhubitor and is compatible with Zoloft, which costs a lot more, must be taken for at least a month to get the full benefit and doesen't cover all the problems I was having. Since this is a site where healthy living is advised,people are eating as close to nature as possible I would think an alternative to drugs would be a good thing... I might be mistaken...
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    OK here are some things you might have misunderstood I never suggested she should NOT take her medicine, all I sugested was that there are other things out there that might have the same benefits as what she is taking now, with less side affects! Herbal remedies have been around for hundreds of years( both in Europe and in Asia), seem to work with a lot less side affects and I don't remember ever hearing about them recalling an herb, where they recall medicines dayly ( that induce heart attacs, form blood clots and induce strokes), no one new about when they were introduced. I am not sure why people are so against herbals over here , if you have a serious condition please talk to your doctor and see what he/she says. In Germany doctors do use herbals a lot and perscribe them liberally bevore they get out the big guns. A lot of the medicines nowadays are based on things in nature , Penecillin and Asperin just to name a few (one is made out of tree bark and the other is a fungus I think)
    And on the 5HTP, yes it is a form of Seratonin reuptake inhubitor and is compatible with Zoloft, which costs a lot more, must be taken for at least a month to get the full benefit and doesen't cover all the problems I was having. Since this is a site where healthy living is advised,people are eating as close to nature as possible I would think an alternative to drugs would be a good thing... I might be mistaken...

Sorry,the rant was not directed at you,I simply added the bit about 5HTP at the end to clarify that it was along a similar line to regular SSRI's and a derivative of serotonin (5HT2), and so has more credence than other holistic treatments. I'd never actually heard of 5HTP until you mentioned it, Its not readily prescribed here in the UK, though appears to be more available
    in the US. :)