Eating Out

Options
StheK
StheK Posts: 443 Member
I am doing great with this whole eating right thing, and loving most of it. All except my fear of eating out. It was easy to cut out the take-away meals and pizza delivery at home, but a lot of my social life revolves around eating out with friends, and I suddenly find that I am avoiding that like the plague because I just don't know what is really in that food. We used to go out to Indian food once or twice a week (there's a great place right across the street from the office) but I couldn't even begin to figure out how to account for what I eat there. I feel like I need to track down the chef and get all his recipes so I can make informed choices. I've recently just decided to give myself Friday lunches as a sort of free meal, where I just make the best choices I can but don't worry about trying to track it accurately, but there's more to life than Friday lunch and I don't know how to handle it. Am I doomed to spend money on restaurant salads (expensive and unsatisfying compared to what I could make for myself and feel good about) just so I can go out with my friends and coworkers?

Replies

• StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'll check it out!
  • cecejoy
    cecejoy Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • weinbagel
    weinbagel Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    i am in the same boat as you. when in doubt, i usually just order meat and a side of veggies. sometimes i'm still disappointed (added sauces, ect), but at least i know for next time.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    You can always ask what they use and get a general idea of how they make it. Indian food is different from restaurant to restaurant and from person to person. I had food made by a Pakistani from Lahore and it was completely different from the food one of her friends from Islamabad made. But same name of food even though.

So call in and ask during a time that you'd think they aren't too busy or you can just go off popular recipes online to get an idea of what you are eating. Either way don't let this be a reason to stop yourself from doing what makes you feel happy, if you go out with friends once or twice a week don't stop :) Just figure out what you're eating before you go and try your best to calculate it.
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    I think your "free lunch Friday's" sounds perfect! Save a hundred calories a day and you'll be fine to have a nice splurge meal and a drink if you're so inclined!
  • portergolf
    Options
    Order sensibly and manage your portions. Even make special request like asking them to cook with light amounts of olive oil. Most places will accomadate.

Just stick to lean proteins and vegetable sides. Its not impossible. Unless your fear is you won't be able to stop yourself from ordering pizza or a bacon double cheeseburger, etc.

remember you're trying to live a new life style. There is no quick fix to a permanant change. If you like ot go out on Saturday nights with your friends you can still do it. Say they pick mexican, thats a tough one but you can still do it. Avoid chips or limit them to a handful. Order a fajita salad instead of a burrito, etc.

Seems like you know what the right choices are. While eating out is challenge you can still make reasonable decision on what you consume.

Couple pieces of adivce.
    Make the best decisions possible, even though they may be worse than what you would have eaten at home.
    Do it guilt free
    Limit how often you do it
    exercise your *kitten* off the next day...

oh, and enjoy life!
  • weffie11
    weffie11 Posts: 91
    Options
    Most places, if you tell them what you want, will do it for you. It helps if you ring up first and check, but most are really helpful. It's not uncommon to do it for people who are on special diets for health reasons. Then the choice of what you eat is yours - grilled whatever and a plate full of veggies!! They might even do you something special if you tell them what your boundaries are so that you feel as if you're having something special along with your friends!
  • pixiee88
    pixiee88 Posts: 52
    Options
    When I go out for Indian, I have chicken tikka tandoori. It usually doesn't come in a sauce - but I have had it served in a tomato-based sauce once or twice. It's served with salad and it's delicious - full of flavour and really juicy. I started having it to "be good", but it has actually become my favourite meal to have at an Indian restaurant. I usually share rice with someone else and just have a little bit, and if I feel the temptation to have a naan bread I again share with someone.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Am I doomed to spend money on restaurant salads (expensive and unsatisfying compared to what I could make for myself and feel good about) just so I can go out with my friends and coworkers?

Yup.

Are you really going out to hang out with your friends? Or is it more your food?

I have had this issue so many times, but in the end I just get a salad. I mean really, whats the worst that could happen. I actually like salads and prefer it to most of the nasty **** that's out there. In the end do what you want to do, but if I were you if the places you go offer salad, or a simple baked chicken meal go with that. Something that has simple ingredients in it where you can guess what it is - and that the chef couldn't possibly mess up
  • nightengale7
    nightengale7 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    :frown: I find myself in the same boat alot. I hate not knowing what goes into the food I'm eating so I have been sticking to places that list their nutrition info online, which means generally I am only going to national chain restaurants. This sucks since I am a local foodie type person and I love supporting local area family owned businesses. Sometimes I just say screw it and try to order something that lists a lot of its ingredients so I can guess at how many calories it has.
  • mattagascar
    mattagascar Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I love eating out...whether its quick and in the car, or on a blanket at the beach, in a dark environment or a place with bright lights. When it comes to eating out...i'm the champ at chomping.
  • portergolf
    Options

Yup.

Are you really going out to hang out with your friends? Or is it more your food?

couldn't have said it better...
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I love eating out...whether its quick and in the car, or on a blanket at the beach, in a dark environment or a place with bright lights. When it comes to eating out...i'm the champ at chomping.

lol
    DOH!
    *snickers*
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

Marry.
  • mattagascar
    mattagascar Posts: 708 Member
    Options

Marry.

We're on our way to Vegas as we speak
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    I travel a lot and end up having to eat out often. I use a few techniques to help me cope. Firstly if I can get hold of the menu in advance i can usually spot possible low cal options (eg grilled fish or chicken). Secondly at the restaurant I take my time to study the menu if I haven't seen it already online. Often there are soups available as starters which are relatively low cal, or some shellfish dishes ditto. Thirdly I tend to avoid side dishes that are not salad and even then am careful, some salad dressings can be very rich, I keep away from fries, mashed potatoes which are likely to have butter and/or cream, etc and concentrate on the protein. I avoid the bread rolls and butter. Fourthly I then eat according to my usual helping, not the helping provided by the restaurant, if I don't finish and send food back, I feel no guilt.Fifthly I always avoid having any sweet. My reward comes next time I weigh myself. Last but not least I also look carefully at what I am drinking, beer can be 200 cals and more a pint, a single whisky is 64 cals, so I don't drink beer much any more.

And don't forget, MFP on your phone can be a quick check on basic calories for most foodstuffs allowing you to make informed choices.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I only eat out once or twice a month, if only I had the money to do it twice a week. I just guess the calories by using meals/ingredients from MFP unless the restuarant lists them.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Man, my mind did not go in the gutter. What the heck is happening to me, I am becoming an adult. UGH

Back to the topic, I just work harder on the days I eat out so I have plenty of calories to play with.