Running/Jogging vs Walking for weight loss

OK so I recently decided to give running/jogging a shot. I am super slow, but figure that I will just keep at it and try my best to improve. I am doing Couch to 5K and am doing Week 3 #2 tonight.

My question is whether or not this is going to help lose weight more than the walking I was doing? I was walking 30-45 minutes 3 or 4 times a week at a level 20. It burned upwards of 500 calories while the "running" I am doing is only about 200. I put quotes around running cuz I am that slow :smile:. Week 3 #1 my run speed was 4.5 and my walk speed was 3.7 and I did two miles total.

I guess I am just looking for peoples thoughts on walking at a significant incline vs jogging at no incline and its affect on weight loss. Thanks for your responses :)

Replies

• JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Honestly either one is fine for weight loss.

The only difference between running in walking is with running you're just getting there faster. Both are good cardiovascular exercises.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Each is fine for weight loss. You burn more calories walking because you can go for longer. You'll get shorter workouts by running, although the calorie burn will be less, you'll be spending less time, if that makes sense. If you have all the time in the world, by all means, walk, but I prefer a quicker workout, personally, and I add in some walking if I have extra time or I'm bored. Weight loss comes down to creating a calorie deficit, so obviously, the more calories burned the better, but running is also excellent for your heart and lungs.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Your weight loss will come from your calories in < calories out. How you do it doesnt matter. There are ways that are better for you, but as long as you are creating a deficit it will be good for weight loss
  • I used to walk for about 1 hour every other day. After a while I found that I wanted to pick up the pace. I started running 5 mins, walking 3 mins and then ended up after a while to be just running. I am now addicted to running. It is a quick workout and I found that it really stepped up my weight loss....
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Good topic.
    I've often wondered this myself :smile:
  • cschiff
    cschiff Posts: 209 Member
    I am just starting too. At first I couldn't go more than a couple minutes without thinking I'd die! Now I can do over a mile without stopping for a walking break. My goal is to run a 5K. But what I've found so far is that I feel AWESOME when I do it. I know a little over a mile might not sound like a huge accomplishment to people who are very good runners, but for me it was a MAJOR accomplishment and I have felt to proud and so strong which just makes me want to do it all over again!!

My best advice: stick with C25K and remember that a lot of it is mental: once you accept the fact that you will NOT die if you just keep pushing, YOU CAN AND WILL. I feel so accomplished after doing my running, even though it is not as good as some people, but it's good for me and that gives me all the motivation I need to go and do it again!

Best of luck! :)
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    I moved from walking to running because the more I walked the fewer calories I was burning. For me, running definitely burns more calories per minute, and I would just tack walking onto the end so that I was burning MORE calories than when I was just walking. Calorie-wise, it made no difference because I eat back my exercise calories. But I got to eat significantly MORE food while running.

The other thing I noticed is that my body shape changed far faster with running. Specifically, my chest got smaller (which was a good thing) and my double chin disappeared MUCH faster. It seemed the running was doing a better job of reducing fat for me than the walking did.