ALCOHOL

Options

Replies

• salcha76
    salcha76 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    ice tea & a flavored vodka....
    light cranberry juice...diet 7up or sprite...and add a shot of flavored vodka....
    vodka/water/mio drops
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I pretty much never drink, and even when I go out with friends I might have just one... it's not common for me to have more than that in the last year or so. (with the exception of the calgary stampede, my boss and coworkers ensured that I was plastered by 7pm, they just wanted me to have one crazy night)

I don't reward myself with it, don't care about the calories of it because of how rarely I drink and I don't consider it to actually be bad if I decide to have one. I fit it in.

Would it surprise you to know that I have had a bottle of Jack Daniels sitting on my dresser since November and it still has it's wrapping on around the lid?
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I'll drink what I fancy. Usually lager, something like Becks or a German type (they have strict laws about ingredients). Occasionally Guinness. Sometimes bourbon. Straight. And then there's vodka/diet coke. Vodka/tonic.

If I have wine, it'll be a full bodied red. Something like merlot/Shiraz.

Taking it easy, having soft drinks/soda in between helps, going out and not drinking doesn't cause the world to implode either. Even if you're in a pub.

My only concerns are to make sure it fits in, to eat well before going out and to remember that those jäger shots at the end of the night are the ones that lead to you waiting for an extra large pizza with olives, two boxes of garlic bread and a bit of a sore head in the morning.

Not that I would ever be guilty of any of those acts before I started logging again....
  • SamanthaClarexo
    SamanthaClarexo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Would it surprise you to know that I have had a bottle of Jack Daniels sitting on my dresser since November and it still has it's wrapping on around the lid?

WHAT?! How could you do that to Jack?! He's my favourite :drinker:
  • workinprogress1533
    Options
    I was just thinking about this last night because I really wanted a margarita but knew it would put me over my calories :(
    I LOVE dark, hoppy, delicious beers. There's a place my friends and I like to go that brew their own and of course you have to try them all!!!! I haven't been back since I started counting calories. I'll go back when I lose a certain amount. So I guess we can look at it as a reward....
    As for anything else, I mix vodka, rum or bourbon with diet soda. I'm a big bourbon fan but I think it has more calories than the clear liquor.
    When I want a drink, I think to myself....Do I want to log that and go over my calories....and the answer is usually no.
    I try not to drink at all during the week anymore but every maybe like once a month I will treat myself to a weekend night out :)
    My biggest problem now is the hangover the next day that seems to be getting worse as I get older! So I have to remember to drink lots of water!
  • MerMandy17
    MerMandy17 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist once told me "clear liquor with a clear mixer." So, essentially, plain (unflavoured) vodka with tonic or soda water with lemon or lime. It doesn't taste that bad and, by sipping, you won't get as drunk and slip into that "I need McDonald's or Taco Bell" coma at midnight.
  • imperfect188
    Options
    Wine should have NO calories. It has nothing to do with food, it should be free. In a perfect world.

+1 (lol)

Luckily for me I dislike sweet drinks so I don't have to worry about my sugar intake because I avoid drinks with high levels of sugar. This wasn't always the case. When I first lost 50llbs a few years ago I cut out juices, sodas, and began to put less sugar in my coffee. Water was my power drink and to this day I've kept that habit up.

When I drink it's
    - 1-2 classes of red wine
    -Light beer..usually corona
    or
    -vodka with carbonated water with a squeeze of lemon.

if I plan to drink I will add more time to my workout or eat less throughout the day.
  • Suzyq0756
    Options
    If you drink alcohol with only water and possibly lemon or lime it has far fewer calories and fat than with sodam mixes or juices.
  • karamini
    karamini Posts: 21
    Options
    I almost always go out one night a week (usually a Saturday) so I just count that as my cheat day! I'm not going to deprive myself of going out and having fun! To balance it out, I try and stick to my allotted calories every other day of the week and I always exercise 5-6 days/week. Also, to keep it (somewhat) healthy when I do go out, I usually drink vodka & club soda or vodka & water, both with a little bit of lime. It's become my favourite drink!
  • trea4luck
    Options
    Malibu is my favorite...yummy!
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    So... Alcohol has a load of calories *cries* and isn't great for your skin, or body in general... However, alcohol is alcohol and I'm sure there is a time, whether it's after a long or bad day at work, or at a party/ occasion, that you want to enjoy yourself...

So here are my questions:

If you do drink, what do you drink?
    Is there such thing as a low calorie drink?
    Do you substitute alcohol for something else?
    Do you reward yourself with alcohol?
    Would you rather drink the calories than eat them?

I like a glass of wine, but I'm trying to avoid wine due to the calories. I'm not an alcoholic, I am a student and can't afford alcohol so I don't really buy it! And if I don't buy it, I can't drink it! I like spirits, but tonic water doesn't taste the same without gin in it! If I have a good burn week, I would treat myself at the weekend.

Here's my take.
    I do drink, actually I enjoy it (my tolerance thinks I'm Irish)
    Low cal drinks, sure. A glass of scotch for me costs 68 cals :)
    I'm not sure I understand the substituting alcohol for something else question.
    And to answer you next two, yes and sometime. There are days when I know I'm going to drink, so I drink.

Like anything moderation is important. Is it gonna kill you to have a glass of wine with dinner every night, probably not if you're staying around your target. But I know some people that drink 1/2 a bottle a night or binge every weekend. That's no good.
  • YAYJules
    YAYJules Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm not a drinker, but isn't there a skinny girl line of alcohol available with less calories than usual?
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I wish my body could handle it.. I can't. Even a little halts my progress. I must have real food for the little calories I can have each day. Bummer
  • ElizMurphy69
    ElizMurphy69 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I drink when I want to drink. I build it into my calories for the day or make sure I exercise more. I have switched to Miller 64 (64 cals) and also have learned that you can carry a MIO with you and add that to a vodka and water (64 cals) to have any flavor you want. My guilty pleasure is lemon drop martinis (165 cals) :-) The biggest goal of my diet is that I will not give up things I love in order to lose weight. My past has shown me that if I feel like I am giving things up, then I cheat and give it up. My bigger problem is when I drink with my friends, the place chosen usually has incredible bar food (wings, pizza, etc). That is the part that kills me. Even some of that food in small portions is a killer on the calories.
    My only advice is to plan. And if you go over, don't kill yourself. Have fun and workout harder the next day :-)
  • vikkistarr89
    vikkistarr89 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Wine should have NO calories. It has nothing to do with food, it should be free. In a perfect world.

if only!
  • DelilaLightfoot
    Options
    Definitely used to see alcohol as a treat - especially Friday evenings as a reward for the weeks' work. And my problem wasn't just the drink calories but the associated snacks are a killer for me! I love crisps or nuts or anything savoury when drinking and now that I think about it I was probably consuming ridiculous calories in just one evening. And then of course hangovers usually result in eating rubbish food too.

Haven't had alcohol since January and I'm planning to only drink on occasions this year - don't think I could make it though a wedding without a drink or 10. No drinking at home - definitely don't want to waste calories on something that makes me feel rough the next day.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    i drink a glass of wine every once in a while. I usually cut it with sprite zero to lessen the sugar content and calories.

How is cutting your wine with sprite zero "lessening" the sugar content? It lists 'sweeteners" in the ingredients list. Unless you're drinking a sweet wine there really isn't a lot of sugar in it.
  • xDaniix
    xDaniix Posts: 51
    Options
    I drink wine, rose, the one i like is 85 cal per 125ml (small glass), but i have a day off a week, on a saturday usually, where ill eat whatever i fancy (in moderation of course!) and dont count my calories that day so i save it for a saturday night! And id probably prefer to eat my calories than drink them! i usually go for a long walk that day too so that makes me feel better haha
  • laurajcrampton
    Options
    I'm so glad to see I'm not the only one who makes room for alcohol calories!!
    I might have to start drinking g&t more often (o no,,) if it's so low calorie!

I know it's all about moderation... But sometimes it's so difficult!

Thanks for your responses :D I was just curious!

Feel free to add me by the way! x
  • kellxbelle09
    kellxbelle09 Posts: 17 Member
    Options

CANNOT AGREE MORE WITH THIS STATEMENT!!! :)