5K???

Options
Hey guys... Just wondering if anyone has ever participated in a 5K before? If so, any tips, ideas, motivation, etc? I just started training for my first 5K in June. Thanks!

Replies

• Laura42012
    Laura42012 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Well, how far can you run? Are you new to running? What kind of plan are you adopting?

I've done quite a few 5k races.
  • debbieled32
    Options
    yes, i love them
    its usually for a great cause and you get to walk/run
    that is the combo i do
    i have not been able to jog the entire 3.2 miles, right now i am about 50/50
    that is how i like it
    i am doing the knotts berry farm one this sunday, you get a pc of there pie afterwards... this is motivating me :)

to train i run/jog/walk 3 to 4 miles every other day and track my progress
  • savlov30
    savlov30 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have done serval 5k. You may want to do the program they call couch to 5k. I have not done it before but I know a lot of people have.
  • changingstephanie
    changingstephanie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I did my first 5k in November of 2011 and I'm running my first half marathon in a few weeks. Just keep at it. Don't get discouraged if you're not as fast as you want to be right away. The important part is that you're out there doing it while a lot of people are still laying on the couch!
  • amandat_79
    amandat_79 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I haven't done one yet but I am training for my first one in April and the c25K has helped me a lot. I have now run for 5kms on my treadmill twice and once it's finally nice enough outside (less snow and ice) I'll be trying to do before the actual run. Good luck!!
  • Erica262
    Erica262 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    You can add me if you'd like :flowerforyou: I've done nine 5k races and am doing my 10th at the end of this month. I very highly recommend the Couch to 5k program. If you've already done that or something similar, runnersworld.com is full of great training advice and tips.

What I do...

Monday: Easy 2-3 mile run
    Tuesday: Cross training (elliptical or some other cardio machine plus upper body weights)
    Wednesday: Speedwork (Yasso 800s are the best for helping you get speedy)
    Thursday: Cross training (elliptical or some other cardio machine plus lower body weights)
    Friday: Easy 2-3 mile run
    Saturday: Long run (I do anywhere from 5-10 miles, but I've done several longer distance races)
    Sunday: Rest

Plus yoga several mornings a week.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Number 1 rule - seed yourself accordingly. Unless you have a good shot at winning the race you shouldn't be in the front :)
    If you are allowed to wear headphones (check rules as some don't allow it), make sure you can still hear what is going on around you.
    Never try anything new on race day, that's food, clothing etc.
    you don't need to carb load or anything fancy. Eat what you normally do.
    Don't go out too hard. It's easy to get swept up and run too hard. Not a huge deal in a 5k but its still not a bad idea to pace yourself.

Most important - have fun, smile (especially of there are race photos) and thank the volunteers. They work hard.
  • cubbie_girl
    cubbie_girl Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Careful -they are addictive and before long you'll have your eye on a 10K!

A lot of people love the Couch to 5K program, so if you haven't seen it yet, check it out.

I start by setting a goal - do you want to run the whole time? Are you just wanting to finish? Are you aiming for a certain time?

Next, figure out where you're at already and then start jogging/walking/running. I started with mini-goals, like I wanted to run at 8.2 km/h (on a treadmill) for a full 10 minutes. After that I upped the speed, then the length of time, then I upped the incline to get ready for running outside. Eventually I was close to my 5K goal so I went to the track and started setting mini-goals again.

My first 5K was 14 Feb with a goal of under 35 minutes - the path ended up being just under 3 miles (sad panda) but I did that in about 30 minutes. My second 5K was 1 Mar and I did it 30:01 despite running that last full mile into a strong wind. My next one is 15 March and I'm shooting for under 30 minutes with my last mile my fastest mile.

Good luck to you and way to go!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the 5K. Some are actual competitive races and runners in those are pretty into it. Others, for example, the Run for the Zoo that I'm doing here in May have different categories...5K run and "fun" run/walk 5K. The 5K "run" implies that serious runners will be competing...official times will be recorded, etc. The "fun" run/walk 5K (they also call it the "fitness 5K") is just that...just for fun...all manner of people will be participating from serious runners to people like me who will be pushing a jogging stroller with my baby as I go.

I'm not a serious, competitive runner, so I stick to 5Ks that are geared towards to overall public.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    It's a good goal to set for someone just getting into running. I recommend the C25K training plan. You'll find a huge variety of runners - from the elite people doing ~6 minute miles, to people who will walk the whole distance, and everyone in between. Finishing your first race is something you'll never forget. Enjoy, and good luck.
  • beatleschic87
    beatleschic87 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I've done one before (hence the profile pic) and I got my next one in April.
    Just pace yourself and I would highly recommend the book "Run Less Run Faster" by Runner's World. The training programs are stellar and they have 3 different sets for 5ks based upon experience.

http://www.amazon.com/Runners-World-Less-Faster-Revolutionary/dp/159486649X
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Hey guys... Just wondering if anyone has ever participated in a 5K before? If so, any tips, ideas, motivation, etc? I just started training for my first 5K in June. Thanks!

I'm not a runner...not allowed do to oh so many hip replacements. But I've walked them. Doing one in April put on by a pub. Finish the 5K and you get beer and chocolate cake! How good is that????

Hope you have a blast at yours! Good Luck! :drinker:
  • jaxCarrie
    jaxCarrie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Do the Couch 2 5K program.....it's a good way to start out without getting discouraged. Sometimes it's daunting to just 'start' running. This gives you a program to follow - I found the first two/three weeks to be easy but held to the program and it worked out pretty well.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Getting fitted for the right shoes, getting some polyester running socks (helps with blisters), and focusing on my breathing (there seem to be lots of different typs of advice for this so do some research and find what works for you) have been the three biggest things for me.
  • reverendzor
    reverendzor Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I recently finished the Couch 2 5k program and will be running my first 5k "Color Me Rad" event on May 5th!

And like others in this thread, I highly recommend the Couch 2 5k program; I went from having problems jogging for a minute sustained to jogging for 30 minutes straight now by using it!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I will second having a read through this topic for race day prep! He covers everything from a full marathon to a 5k, and it answered a lot of my questions and helped ease my first race jitters. Good info there.

As far as training - c25k worked great for me, and having a race on the horizon is a great motivator to keep you focused. Good luck and have fun!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options

Iv'e never run in a race of any size, but i cover more than 5k on every training run..5k is such a great distance. You don't need to do anything *special* on race day ( i.e. carb loading the day before etc), and you certainly don't need water along the way..Just stay true to your training program and do lots of stretching after each training run and avoid injury. have a great run!
  • maddyg1989
    maddyg1989 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! Sorry I haven't kept tabs on the post. I didn't realize I couldn't post from my cell. :(

Anyways... WOW!!!! Thanks for all of the advice! Just some basic info about me and the 5K I'll be running. I'm 23 and WAYY out of shape! I have a hormone issue that made me gain 90 lbs in a year and I'm just now able to start losing it (very slowly - 15lbs in 3 months).

I have 2 5Ks to try to run (one lands on the day I leave for my vacation so I'm not sure about that one) and the other is in July. They are both pretty laid back.. One is a fun run and the other is a mission run (both are fundraisers). Regardless, I have decided to start training for the 5K. I have an elliptical at home that I use for cardio (knee injury in high school) but I don't feel like it's doing anything for me. No results whatsoever. So I'm now running in the park.

I have the C25K app and that's what I started with last week. Seems pretty easy but it's intense. I think I found some good running shoes but my biggest problem is my breathing. I remember how to breath when I run... It just seems hard to inhale completely. I guess that's the out-of-shape talking. Are there exercises for that?

Also, if anyone is interested in following my progress... I'm posting it all on my blog: maddygracegetsfit.blogspot.com. It has all the details of my problem, my journey & results. Thanks for the info & support!
  • maddyg1989
    maddyg1989 Posts: 108 Member
    Options

I'm not a runner...not allowed do to oh so many hip replacements. But I've walked them. Doing one in April put on by a pub. Finish the 5K and you get beer and chocolate cake! How good is that????

Hope you have a blast at yours! Good Luck! :drinker:

Sounds like a great way to end a 5K! Eat a bite for me! :drinker: