HELP! Heart Monitor Calories

Hi Everyone,

I've researched other posts on MFP about this, but I wanted to get some personal feedback.

I have a TIMEX heart monitor that I use at the gym to see how many calories I've burned. When I compare this to what MFP is telling me after I enter my exercise, the difference is HUGE!!! For example, today MFP says I burned 504 calories exercising. I entered the EXACT mintues that I did each exercise. My HRM said I burned about 1050. I checked all of the settings on my HRM and they are correct. What gives? I'm mainly concerned about my calorie intake. If I'm really burning 1050 and not 504, then I should probably be eating more calories, right?

Thanks for your input! :drinker:

Replies

• The calories burned on MFP are a huge guesstimate; the HRM is more accurate. I think your net should be between 500-1000 calories, but I can't be certain (those stats work for me). It MIGHT depend on your weight and age.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    I don't know about the particular HRM, but I trust my HRM more than a machine.

My HRM tends to be 20% less than the machine and 30-40% less than MFP (30 y/o female 5/7'' 136 lb) HOWEVER my husbands HRM tends to be about 10-20% MORE than the machine and 30% MORE than MFP. (52 y/o male 6/3'' 220 lb)

I think it depends on your age and fitness level.
  • jez4ever
    jez4ever Posts: 190 Member
    HRM's can be inaccurate too. The best ones use a chest strap, but even those aren't perfect. I'd say you are probably somewhere in between.