• agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Both....

Whey, Creatine, BCAA and pre workout before

Bcaa, Whey, creatine, and casen after.
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    I would recommend a shake post workout and then a whole food meal 60 minutes after training.
    ^ This is what I do.
  • DostThouEven
    Options
    Oh I eat real food and have no problem with it at all. Never had an issue with starvation mode. I usually have a high protein snack after.

I get hungry about 10 to 30 minutes after I workout. I want to build muscle, that is part of the reason I wanted to try the protein shakes. Plus my protein is the lowest at night on my diary.

If your protein intake is on the low end then adding protein is a good idea whether that comes from a shake or additional food. You may find adding additional protein through whole foods to be more satiating but that being said, there's certainly nothing wrong with using whey protein to supplement your intake.

If you're eating regular mixed meals then I wouldn't concern yourself with the specific timing of protein. Do what gives you the best satisfaction and gym performance.

slash thread period
  • JoshRodenberg
    Options
    I would recommend a shake post workout and then a whole food meal 60 minutes after training.

^^This, but only if you need the extra protein to fill your macros...
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    [I was just going to post this My Massage therapist told me about the Protein before bed she has been training for a weight lifting competitions and said her trainer told her to drink a shake before bed i have did it a few night now and i find that i dont wake up so hungry
    I had the same question so I found this thread on a search....

I am getting in most of my reading (between the snarky and useless posts that make no attempt to answer the question) that after is optimal, but before is next-best? Have any of you ever read that before bed is a good time for protein as well? Curious...I work out at different times of the day because I am an instructor and I get the schedule I get... :)

And finally, for those of you who have said that protein shakes make you feel sick (me too...) I came across a product called Syntrax Nectar that is fruity, and mixes with water instead of milk. It is much more refreshing to me than the milkshake-like varieties and a lot more appealing after a workout. I love the Roadside Lemonade and Fuzzy Navel flavors, but there are lots of choices (Strawberry Kiwi, and a couple different tropical blends). 1 scoop = 100 calories and about 24g protein. It is available on vitacost.com if you are unable to find it in a store in your area. :)
    [/quote]
  • JoshRodenberg
    Options
    Have any of you ever read that before bed is a good time for protein as well?
    [/quote]

Personally, I like to have cottage cheese about an hour or so before bed with a little peanut butter, holds me over all night. Shakes don't really fill me up, but I do have one after lifting, with my lunch.
  • radiantsunshine40
    radiantsunshine40 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've read and was told by a gym owner that protein immediately after your workout is really good for replenishing muscles you've just worked to exhaustion (hopefully til exhausted ((smiles)))!:happy:

Of course, I read alot of articles from Dr. Mercola and he stresses....getting the protein within an 30 minute window after you workout to make sure you're getting the best benefit of protein!

You need to find out exactly how much protein does your body needs for effeicency!:happy:
  • Absonthebrain
    Absonthebrain Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I usually eat protien rich food within an or 2 after working out if im starving otherwise I wait till dinner. I havn't had a protein shake yet during my journey 2 years and currently mainting for 1 year. I think about it but so far eating chicken eggs almonds etc have been working to feed my muscles.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Every time I work out, I get extremely hungry. So I thought I would start using Protein Shakes because my body is obviously is trying to tell me something.

For you guys who drink Protein shakes, do you drink it before or after your workout or at a separate time?

I have a hard time working out on a full stomach and also eating anything for an hour or two after (but beware - I'm STARVING AFTER this time period!) so I generally will drink a protein shake within a half hour after working out.

That being said - that's just me. Something needs to get in my belly :wink: so I fill it with a shake, but there's nothing wrong with regular food. It's just the only thing I can stomach right after working out.

I'm in that camp too, of needing to put something in my belly after a work out but not really being able to stomach real food. And I drink a protein shake fruit smoothie thing with Greek yogurt, protein powder and fruit.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    A protein shake is just a meal replacement that doesn't satisfy your hunger. If you're hungry, eat something-- just make sure it's healthy. A plate of healthy food will fill you up a whole lot more than 150 calories of protein shake, and will probably have more nutritional value.
  • rdcraner
    rdcraner Posts: 11
    Options

^^This, but only if you need the extra protein to fill your macros...

This is exactly what I do. However, I have to note that my cardio/strength training is done in the afternoon/evening so it is easy for me to come home, take a quick shower, drink a shake, and then an hour or so later, eat my dinner.

I also will typically have a protein shake with my breakfast in the morning.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I have a shake 30-45 minutes before. Then I have a 4:1 carb to protein ratio shake or snack or meal within 30 minutes after (usually right after). But, as everyone has already said, do what works for you and it doesn't really matter before or after. Mine is more based on cardio w/ strength and long distance cardio.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I always eat dinner about about an hour or two before working out and then drink a protein shake within 30 minutes of working out. Sometimes, I could then eat half a cow about an hour later, but sometimes I am good for the rest of the night (I work out in the evening). My protein shake does usually end up being before bed, but I don't ever intentionally drink one right before bed. I like to wake up hungry, I feel like it gives me a reason to start my day fresh with a good breakfast. If I don't wake up hungry, I assume it means I ate to much before going to bed. So, to sum up what seems like a rambling post, eat solid food before working out, drink a protein shake after to help replenish your body, and then eat again later if you are legitimately hungry. I would not recommend just drinking a shake before bed because it might help you build muscle. It is still calories and protein your body wont be using while your asleep.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options

Agreed! I usually don't feel hungry right after my workout.. I have some whey protein or protein shake post workout to add to my macros but otherwise a full meal can wait until I get home.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I don't find my whey to be particularly satiating. It's basically a fuel supplement for my workout and my protein goals. I like to have some fruit or something about 20-30 minutes before a workout...a lot of times this is an apple with some peanut butter...then follow my workout with my protein supplement. I'm usually not all that hungry until about 2 hours after my lift session...at which point, I can eat a house, so dinner better be ready (but that's all on me since I'm the chef at home).
  • sblake204
    sblake204 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I do both before and after
  • mryak750
    mryak750 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I drink a shake post workout....I workout late...about 8:30...and I'm up at 7am (kids)..by the time i workout I already have most of my cals/macros....I would love to eat 2 hrs or so post workout but by that time I'm sleeping...so its just a bland shake for me post workout...Question for anyone who knows...If i fulfill my protien goal prior to workout..do you really need a protien shake post workout(I lift and do quick sessions of HIIT)????...
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I drink a shake post workout....I workout late...about 8:30...and I'm up at 7am (kids)..by the time i workout I already have most of my cals/macros....I would love to eat 2 hrs or so post workout but by that time I'm sleeping...so its just a bland shake for me post workout...Question for anyone who knows...If i fulfill my protien goal prior to workout..do you really need a protien shake post workout(I lift and do quick sessions of HIIT)????...

I think so. If you are lifting or doing cardio, it certainly doesn't hurt to give yourself some more protein. Unless you have liver/kidney issues, it wouldn't hurt to have some post-workout.
  • JoshRodenberg
    Options

Personally I think you should try to get some protein after your workout, but it doesn't have to be much. Could just be a little yogurt or cottage cheese or whatever, not necessarily a shake.