New and feeling guilty

Options
Hello to all. I have been dieting for a week now and I had my first weigh-in today and I have lost 7 pds. I thought I would celebrate and treat myself so I ate about 15 chips and a little bit of ranch dip. I am feeling guilty. It is bad to cheat at times?

Replies

• 2credneck208
    2credneck208 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Its okay!! If you feel super guilty turn on some music and dance for a while. You will burn some of it off and the music will make you happy!
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Why would that be cheating, were you with someone that wasn't your spouse when you ate it?
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Fifteen chips and some dip can not undo the progress you have made so don't beat yourself up. I totally get the desire to reward yourself. I reward myself all the time for a good week of sticking to my meal plans and working out by buying myself flowers. They are pretty, smell good and I am reminded of my achievement every time I see them.
  • lilmissbamaqueen
    Options
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with the occasional treat. Remember, you have to eat 3,500 calories ABOVE your TDEE in order to gain one pound. No way does 15 chips and some dip have that many calories. Relax! :flowerforyou:
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Don't let your choice have that kind of power over you.

Eat it. Log it. Move on.

I might suggest for your next reward, try something that isn't food based - get your nails done, treat yourself to some flowers or a new magazine/book. Don't let food have all the power. You are in control, these are your choices!
  • fitgal05
    fitgal05 Posts: 149
    Options
    Hello to all. I have been dieting for a week now and I had my first weigh-in today and I have lost 7 pds. I thought I would celebrate and treat myself so I ate about 15 chips and a little bit of ranch dip. I am feeling guilty. It is bad to cheat at times?

No I think your fine!
  • fitgal05
    Options
    Why would that be cheating, were you with someone that wasn't your spouse when you ate it?

That's super funny
  • av8artist
    av8artist Posts: 46
    Options

Only on your spouse. (DAMN @gsager beat me too it!)

Seriously, you did some major weight drop. 15 chips? I find it hard to stop at one bag. If you can't stop at 15, sing out to your friends here and at home aboout helping you resist eating more.
  • benum21121
    benum21121 Posts: 200
    Options
    It's all about moderation.. making the conscious choices about what you consume. For example, I LOVE me some steak!! I used to get the 16 ounce sirloin, or even (gulp!) the 24 ounce sirloin, and never think twice. Now, when I choose to have steak, I get the 6 ounce or (gasp) the 8 ounce sirloin. I can still enjoy them, but I make the conscious effort to ensure I control what I take in. Your snack/reward wasn't bad at all! You've gotta allow yourself some wiggle room, or you'll be miserable through this time, and you'll hate it, and you'll be less likely to succeed.

I hope this helps, and good luck on your journey! :)
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    "TREAT" does not equal "CHEAT."

If you still eat under your calorie goal, who cares if, occasionally, you eat 150 cals of chips rather than broccoli. Life's to short to live it in shame!
  • summ3rchild
    Options
    Its okay!! If you feel super guilty turn on some music and dance for a while. You will burn some of it off and the music will make you happy!
    totally agree! i'm having one of those dance days, myself, and it feels great! i always feel happy and energized when i dance to great music.
  • fitgal05
    Options
    Don't let your choice have that kind of power over you.

Eat it. Log it. Move on.

I might suggest for your next reward, try something that isn't food based - get your nails done, treat yourself to some flowers or a new magazine/book. Don't let food have all the power. You are in control, these are your choices!

I love this, because I find myself doing that too. Like losing weight, I deserve crap I don't need...lol. So now I get a fitness magazine or something not food related. Or maybe something food related but still healthy. A big yummy apple :)
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Um, it's 15 chips... it's not like you ate two whole bags or something. Just log it.
  • NicS69
    NicS69 Posts: 40 Member
    Options

Ok, I have to say it - I hate you! :wink: 1 week and 7 pounds! I'm at 2 weeks and 1 pound.

Great job though and keep up the good work. You're not cheating, you tracking. And just the fact that you know exactly how much you had and are watching what you eat is a good thing! Good luck with your goals!
  • fitgal05
    Options
    It's all about moderation.. making the conscious choices about what you consume. For example, I LOVE me some steak!! I used to get the 16 ounce sirloin, or even (gulp!) the 24 ounce sirloin, and never think twice. Now, when I choose to have steak, I get the 6 ounce or (gasp) the 8 ounce sirloin. I can still enjoy them, but I make the conscious effort to ensure I control what I take in. Your snack/reward wasn't bad at all! You've gotta allow yourself some wiggle room, or you'll be miserable through this time, and you'll hate it, and you'll be less likely to succeed.

I hope this helps, and good luck on your journey! :)

Very true, when I do eat red meat I only eat a a small portion and pair with a salad. Good response.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    On the other extreme, there are people who go on weekend benders and shrug it off. Somewhere in between is the place to be.
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Most Wednesdays after I get done teaching my night class I grab a McDonald's ice cream cone for my sanity. I've lost 137 in 8 months because I count it, own it and move on. I plan to be on here 50 years from now working maintenance and I will definitely have some poor choices in that amount of time. By owning and tracking it, I can make it work for me. Welcome, nice job on week one and feel free to add me. Anyone is welcome to add me.
  • JBsCrazyGirl
    Options
    I love chips and dip and can relate to the feeling of feeling guilty about eating them , but sometimes that's the treat you want and it's not going to undo your progress by any means. Make sure to log it, and move on.

Feel Free to add!
    Always looking for Pals that will actually communicate in order to move forward together!:flowerforyou:
  • MzOnree
    MzOnree Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It is okay to reward yourself. Gosh, if we stopped eating all of our favorite foods or snacks it would be difficult to stay on a weight loss program. Don't be hard on yourself. Just track it on your calories and rock on! Great job for your first week! :happy:
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    It's all part of how this goes, so put away the guilt. Maybe stay away from the scale for a bit as the salt in both chips and dip will probably make you retain some water and weighing too soon might freak you out! If you lost 7 lbs. then you seem to be on the right track so just get back on board.