Venting...

Options
I need to vent a little bit..

It's the same story really, girl goes on diet, girl looses weight, girl hits plateau...

I'm on the Ideal Protein Diet. It's been absolutely fabulous. Over the last year I've had a nice steady weight loss of about one to two lbs a week. Not too fast, not to slow, just steady. It's been very difficult at times but I've stuck with it and have lost over 60lbs in the last 10 months. I deliberately worked with my I.P. Nurse/dietician to avoid rapid loss as I was terrified about going having yoyo syndrome. Though, I'm very much aware that people generally yoyo because they don't change their lifestyle habits.

I'm excited to start training for a 5k I've had my eye on. I desperately want to get outside and get active active again. I never thought I'd actually miss cardio, but I've had so much energy lately I want to get out and move! A few months back I planned a shopping trip out of state to buy a new wardrobe. This was going to be my present for reaching my goal.. My trip is in three weeks...

What's really frustrating to me is I've plateaued five lbs away from my goal weight. I've been stuck here for the last few weeks with little to no loss. Over the last two weeks the I.P. dietician changed up my eating schedule to try to get one last weight "big" weight loss, but it hasn't been working. I'm still hovering between 128 and 130, my goal is 125.

I know I'm being irrational, but it's so discouraging. I have three weeks, but I can't just -stop- this diet, I have to phase off. I really wanted my "victory" dinner to be with my friends down south, but now it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to make the deadline. Unless of course I "end" it prematurely, which in some weird sort of way feels like giving up/cheating.

I don't know what to do.. and I could use some encouragement.

Replies

• Neona
    Neona Posts: 28
    Options
    Bump? Any advice at all?
  • di1428
    di1428 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt obsess over the last 3-5lbs...you've done great and be proud of what you accomplished.
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I still have quite a ways to go but from everything I've read the last 5-10 lb by far takes the longest to lose. And really it should because you should be starting to get your body used to the idea of maintaining rather than losing since you're that close. Don't get frusterated. Put away the scale for a month or two, and just stick to your healthy habits.
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    It's 5 pounds! I think you're being to hard on yourself and you're giving yourself a complex. Do your 5K training, watch your diet, and it will happen. I think hitting a plateau when you're that close is pretty normal.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt obsess over the last 3-5lbs...you've done great and be proud of what you accomplished.

^^this^^
  • PhotogirlTX
    PhotogirlTX Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I think once you start training for the 5K you might see some movement. However, like everyone said... you have done a fantastic job!!! Celebrate your greatness!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Why are you letting a number dictate how you feel?

Why not take stock of how you FEEL, how you LOOK, how your clothes fit you, and then tell the number to *uck itself.

It's entirely possible that your original goal isn't really what YOU should weigh. Height/weight charts, BMI measurements, and such are generalized across the population to establish ranges and "norms". By what makes you think you're normal?!

Schedule that celebration dinner, and share your great accomplishment!
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I need to vent a little bit..

It's the same story really, girl goes on diet, girl looses weight, girl hits plateau...

I'm on the Ideal Protein Diet. It's been absolutely fabulous. Over the last year I've had a nice steady weight loss of about one to two lbs a week. Not too fast, not to slow, just steady. It's been very difficult at times but I've stuck with it and have lost over 60lbs in the last 10 months. I deliberately worked with my I.P. Nurse/dietician to avoid rapid loss as I was terrified about going having yoyo syndrome. Though, I'm very much aware that people generally yoyo because they don't change their lifestyle habits.

I'm excited to start training for a 5k I've had my eye on. I desperately want to get outside and get active active again. I never thought I'd actually miss cardio, but I've had so much energy lately I want to get out and move! A few months back I planned a shopping trip out of state to buy a new wardrobe. This was going to be my present for reaching my goal.. My trip is in three weeks...

What's really frustrating to me is I've plateaued five lbs away from my goal weight. I've been stuck here for the last few weeks with little to no loss. Over the last two weeks the I.P. dietician changed up my eating schedule to try to get one last weight "big" weight loss, but it hasn't been working. I'm still hovering between 128 and 130, my goal is 125.

I know I'm being irrational, but it's so discouraging. I have three weeks, but I can't just -stop- this diet, I have to phase off. I really wanted my "victory" dinner to be with my friends down south, but now it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to make the deadline. Unless of course I "end" it prematurely, which in some weird sort of way feels like giving up/cheating.

I don't know what to do.. and I could use some encouragement.

You are on a diet that is monitored by different people...and well done for you to get to the weight you are, I sincerely mean that, but and there is a but, why are the people that have helped you get so far not giving you that little extra to lose those last few lbs?

I hope these people get you into a lifestyle change and not a diet...don`t want to sound mean, but just saying..
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I dont know the way your diet works so I cant offer suggestions there but like others said, dont focus on the last 5 lbs that you plateaued at. Focus on the 60 lbs you lost. Its is not like you are not going to reach your goal weight. You just didnt reach it yet. It is really hard to put a timeline on a weight loss goal because the body is so fickle.

You did great. Still buy yourself some new clothes for your trip. Maybe hold off on the new wardrobe until you lose the 5. I say that because I was only 7 lbs away from my goal and by losing only 4 lbs I dropped an entire size. I dont know how your body shifts the weight but if you are confident that 5 lbs lost will keep you in the same size then there isnt a problem buying the new wardrobe
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,868 Member
    Options
    What is magic about the number 125? I think plateaus are actually a good thing. They let your body adjust to a new level. Enjoy the view from this plateau -- you can see your whole healthy life that lies ahead of you.

PS- I started on maintenance 1 pound from my goal, but I don't think that makes me a quitter.

Congratulations and Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Ok you vented, let me vent. Why is the scale number so important? Once you reach your "goal" how are you going to eat and exercise then? I hate when people work so hard and go back to thier old ways, just because this has been a diet for them and not a life style change.