Anyone else lose weight with slim fast?

Options

Replies

• Aleara2012
    Aleara2012 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Anyone I knew who used slimfast gained all the weight back as soon as they stopped. It think healthy eating is a better choice. But that is my opinion. :drinker:

I agree that healthy eating is the better choice every time! :)

However not all who lose the weight through shake-type of diet re-gain said weight. 4 years ago I lost 17kg through such a diet. I did not gain them back when I started eating 'normally' because I changed my 'normal' to a healthy food intake unlike the way I was eating before the diet.

And yes, I did gain a lot of weight during my pregnancy, which is why I am here now trying to lose my baby weight but that has nothing to do with the shake-type diet (be it slimfast or any other brand of shakes)
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I've just bought some more. I had some last year and got good results and switched to regular food, weight loss slowed but still losing.

I was a pound off my goal last month and expecting to have reached it this month but have gained 7lb so I've bought some more slim fast to drop the last 8lb and reach my goal by next month I hope.
  • emmaonamission
    Options
    I lost about 20lbs with Slim Fast a few years ago and I really loved it. I loved the shakes and loved how easy it was but once I stopped once for a little 'break' I found it really difficult to restart and just gave up on it. But for the time that I was doing well on it, I thought it was great. Like other people have said, you can't really stay on it forever so just be careful when you switch back to eating food.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I found the chocolate shakes good cos I get cravings bad at TOM so it helped that I could stick to two shakes, as the choc flavour ones satisfied my cravings as had two choc ones those days!
  • PlumNoodles
    Options
    I've been on the Slim Fast diet for about 7 months now and I've lost 35 pounds thanks to that. However I find the snacks very boring and restrictive so I buy Weight Watchers foods as well (I just buy foods that are a similar calorie number to the Slim fast snacks and have them the same amount a day as I'm allowed to on the SF diet). I find the bottled milkshakes are better than the powdered one because you can take it around with you and sip it slowly, which curbs off the hunger for longer. I found myself drinking the powdered milkshake a lot quicker.
    I agree it's a great starting point for dieting as it helps you control your calories without thinking about it.
    I do think you can keep the weight off if you just keep the calorie intakes to the same as the Slim Fast plan, it's common sense really. Slim Fast is nothing magical it just makes things a little easier for you and lets you start off your diet successfully, but then you will eventually need to move on to "Normal" foods, you just have to put the effort in and calculate your calorie intake a little better.
  • amylynn731
    Options
    I downloaded My Fitness Pal a week ago because i wanted to start eating right to shave off a lot of weight i put on this winter, and i have my meal plans all set up just have to go shopping, then i was mentioned to about slim fast.
    I was wondering if anyone knew if i could go on with my idea with the healthy meals, and maybe use the slim fast bars, or a shake, for like a replacement lunch to help shave off the pounds quicker.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Slim fast is just a protein shake with filler. There are plenty of other options out there.
  • amylynn731
    Options
    So would you say that it would be a bad idea to replace my lunch meals with a shake or bar, other than a cup of veggies and some fruit?
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    The reason why slim fast works is because it's portioned not because it has anything special to it. You'd be fine substituting your own meals of your choosing as long as it fits in your caloric budget. I woke up and put some dried Spanish deli meat with some cheese in between a multigrain waffle and it fits into my plan.
  • amylynn731
    Options
    Alright thank you, ill just stick to my plan.
  • kbsd456
    kbsd456 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, you don't need slim fast or weight watchers etc. I would save my money. As long as you are eating(and exercising) at a calorie deficit,you will lose weight. Things like slim fast and weight watchers make it easier to track your calories, but I feel that it is allot more useful to learn to track calories of "normal food", food that you would actually eat for the rest of your life. It is kind of annoying at first, but it gets easier with repetition (after i count the calories of a certain food once, i use that for future reference), and ofcourse, MFP has tools to help you figure out how many calories food contain.

The best thing i ever did for my weight loss (before joining mfp) was purchase a food scale, measuring cup, and measuring spoons (tsp,tbsp etc.). I can pretty accurately track all the calories i consume.. As far as support, motivation, recipes, I feel that you can get that from MFP and other websites.

That being said, its just my opinion and ofcourse everyone has what works for them. Goodluck on your weight loss!
  • Jackie80taylor
    Jackie80taylor Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    i lost quite a bit of weight on the slim fast diet in the beginning. when i started dieting i would have one for breakfast and one for lunch then a healthy meal for tea. but after about 3 months i found i wasn't losing any more weight so i dropped it to breakfast only and ate a healthy lunch instead. the same thing happened and after a while the weight loss stopped again. so i stopped having it altogether and now have a proper foody breakfast :-)

its a great way to kick start a diet but not sustainable in the long run... 6 months max i would say (for me anyway)
  • gottolosethisfat
    Options
    I lasted a day on it! I enjoy food and just couldnt replace it so now I portion control and have low calorie foods. I do eat the slim fast snacks though and they are nice!
  • Treadmillmom1st
    Treadmillmom1st Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Years ago I tried slim fast drinks. It gave me terrible gas:grumble:

Me too, I actually looked pregnant and stomach ached.
  • earl0270
    earl0270 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose any weight with Slimfast but I did with Herbalife products (shakes/bars), they are great and I have built them into my everyday eating so not a fad diet but a change of thinking. Its all about balance!

I generally just replace one meal a day with shakes/bars so the weightloss stays off!

If anyone in the UK wants to try any products let me know!
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I had it in combination with proper food two or three times a week for lunch. It gave me a little weight loss boost middle of the week.
  • amylynn731
    Options
    Thanks! :) I decided against the slim fast bars, i am just doing the calorie counting and hoping for the best, i just get discouraged after to long and give up, i pray i stick to this, to be healthy and thinner would make me more confident in my self and i feel would make me a better person other than feeling like the quite girl in the corner cause im to uncomfortable to open my mouth,
  • kn081083
    kn081083 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    hmmm...I am doing the slimfast high protein shakes for the past couple of weeks on the weekdays..i havent logged in major weight loss per se..but given my weekend binging and occasional weekday binging when i feel like it, i think its been pretty good in helping me keep a check on calories intake and not letting the pounds add up(which is a major help as i can pile on easily)..plus its easier not having to plan for 2 meals everyday.. :smile:
  • mrsjas2000
    mrsjas2000 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Before I met my husband (15 years ago) I used Slimfast twice a day and a sensible supper and lost 60 lbs and maintained for 3 years but when I met my husband the exercise stopped and we started eating out, so now I am back on it but only for breakfast. I love the taste but in Canada we had chocolate fudge and it tasted just like chocolate milk they stopped that one so now back to chocolate royale, I bought some when we went to the states for holidays and it tasted gross to me, but it tastes great here.
  • amylynn731
    Options
    If i were to eat a healthy breakfast then snack on some carrots, have a salad maybe for lunch and snack on a slim fast bar then have a decent dinner. would it have any effect.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!